Over 50 and Fabulous?

Options

Replies

• myraknits
    myraknits Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hiya Bonnie! We're getting quite a cool group going here! It's great to have support here to go with a plan. I'll be checking i daily. I'm basically following the recommendations of the MFP plan for diet and exercise. My main issue is being vegetarian, I hit my fiber and sugar limit early in the day so I'm trying to spread them out so I don't over indulge in fruit.
    I love being able to see the diaries of my friends here. Gives me lots of meal ideas.
  • myraknits
    Options
    Congrats JB! 62 lbs!! Very successful indeed!
    Long gone are the days when I could take off 5 lbs in 3 days.
    Love your mantra but I'm wondering, why track you potassium?
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, just checking in,

Just hit one of those times where I'm trying to be good but all I think I want are the bad things, like crisps and sausages. Doing my best to stay focused but I think having been to a couple of buffet-style events has knocked me off track a bit, and has meant I've gained back a bit over a pound. Going to get out in the garden now for a bit of sun and exercise (weeding) maybe that'll make me feel more in tune by the time I get back indoors?
    Hope everyone else is doing well :smile:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I doubt anyone would ever mistake me for a woman, even in the dark, but good luck! You can do it!

LOVE THE SUPPORT !
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I'm also here ..... chipping away with a toothpick, it seems ...... sometimes making imperfect decisions, then reeling myself back in ....... but NEVER giving up !

:flowerforyou:
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm also here ..... chipping away with a toothpick, it seems ...... sometimes making imperfect decisions, then reeling myself back in ....... but NEVER giving up !

:flowerforyou:

Great attitude! Love it!
    Also love your ticker image :smile:
  • Subigal
    Subigal Posts: 3
    Options
    Count me in! I'm 55 and have 20 lbs to lose. I usually go up and down the same 10, and somehow, age has hit me hard and now it's 20. My goal is to lose these and keep them off by maintaining healthier habits that will allow me to enjoy the years ahead.
  • lmnewman
    lmnewman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Am a bit over 50 with about 42lb to lose. Lost loads on Weightwatchers two years ago for my son's wedding but now put it all back on. Need support to keep me on track.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    You can read about the importance of potassium here >>> http://www.krispin.com/potassm.html (copy and paste into your browser). There is also a wonderful chart if you scroll down the page a bit.
    I believe potassium helps us feel good overall. Lots and lots of veggies, especially dark leafy greens are terrific, as well as low-sodium V8. I've noticed a big change in myself mentally since drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day, getting 3500-4500 potassium most days, and including Omega-3s on a daily basis. (I like walnuts and ground flaxseed, they're both high in Omega-3s).
    Please note that many, many food entries in the MFP database do not include potassium count. I've done hours of research and have edited many items which automatically save to "My Foods".
  • myraknits
    Options
    Yay verptwerp! a toothpick is a lance to an ant! It all counts. I'm loving the support here and it's so good to be reminded on a daily basis that it doesn't happen overnight, isn't it?!
  • myraknits
    Options
    This is such great info JB! Its amazing how much there still is to learn about food.
    Thanks!
    You can read about the importance of potassium here >>> http://www.krispin.com/potassm.html (copy and paste into your browser). There is also a wonderful chart if you scroll down the page a bit.
    I believe potassium helps us feel good overall. Lots and lots of veggies, especially dark leafy greens are terrific, as well as low-sodium V8. I've noticed a big change in myself mentally since drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day, getting 3500-4500 potassium most days, and including Omega-3s on a daily basis. (I like walnuts and ground flaxseed, they're both high in Omega-3s).
    Please note that many, many food entries in the MFP database do not include potassium count. I've done hours of research and have edited many items which automatically save to "My Foods".
  • Wendyrt46
    Wendyrt46 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm a lot older than the rest of you at 65 but I'm serious about losing weight to feel and look better. A word of support for each other can help a lot, I think. The plan put me on 1200 calories, which doesn't seem like a lot some days. Keep up the good work everyone.
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    51 here and can always use some more friends who are in the same "place" as I am! I've been working on losing this weight (for the final time, I hope) since about July of last year, but "seriously" since November. I hit my goal weight last week, but am considering adjusting it a few pounds lower. I have lost the weight before, but keeping it off for a prolonged period of time has been challenging for me. I'm hopeful that with a core group of MFP friends, I will stay on track.
  • toomanycurves
    toomanycurves Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm sixty. I was effortlessly thin for most of my life but things have changed. I tore a ligament in my knee 18 months which has made walking at times excruciating and my arthritis has worsened. I'm not sure that the two are unrelated. I now weight 152 and while I'm not sure that I want to get back to my usual 107, I know that I would feel better if I were to lose at least 30 pounds.
  • crossmk
    crossmk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm also 54 and have lost some but have the same stubborn 30 pounds left that I have been fighting forever. Feel free to add me also. I could really use an accountability partner as well.
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and want to lose about 30 pounds or so in the next few months and learn to keep it off.
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 1/2. Can I join your party? Feel free to add me =)
  • lilblond5342
    lilblond5342 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm 54 and I've got quite a bit to lose but I'm up for the challenge now. I've tried several low carb diets but I believe I need to settle more on watching my calories instead. That's what makes this site so nice...I can use the app on my iphone! My plan is to use my ellipitcal at least every other day for 10 minutes, walk as much as I can, and do a little strength training with hand weights. Unfortunately, I have some back and joint issues and walking is more difficult these days but with a bit less weight, I should be able to do that again too! Looking forward to looking and feeling better!
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just joined today. looking for motivational friends. Quit smoking 13 months ago (which I am damn proud of) after having a stroke. Now I have gained 12 lbs and can't get rid of it. I walk two miles almost every day but obviously that isnt enough. Have started a workout video with Jillian Michaels but need help trying to stay on track. Oh, by the way I am 50. Yep, a stroke at 49. WTH.
  • myraknits
    Options
    Good for you for getting in shape! Glad you're joining our club!
    Just joined today. looking for motivational friends. Quit smoking 13 months ago (which I am damn proud of) after having a stroke. Now I have gained 12 lbs and can't get rid of it. I walk two miles almost every day but obviously that isnt enough. Have started a workout video with Jillian Michaels but need help trying to stay on track. Oh, by the way I am 50. Yep, a stroke at 49. WTH.