What Have You Given Up?

Options
Starting tomorrow, I'm giving up:

Dairy, gluten, sugar, wheat, grains, nuts, pork, salt, processed, artificially flavored, preservative-laden foods. I will also have only apple cider vinegar and flax seed oil, only 2 servings of fruit daily, and drink only water/lemon water/water spiked with unsweetened cranberry juice. It'll only last a little while until I can re-incorporate some foods back in to track how my body reacts to it, so it isn't a question of sustainability. :)

How many other people have tried something similar? What sorts of foods are on your no-no list?

Replies

• gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I avoid fried foods as much as possible, but other than that I haven't given up anything but over eating.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I gave up .... making excuses.......everything else is on my menu within my calorie goal.......
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    (Not entirely) Fried foods..I try to avoid it as much as possible
  • nailqueen74
    nailqueen74 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I haven't really given anything up. My motto is all things in moderation.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Starting tomorrow, I'm giving up:

Dairy, gluten, sugar, wheat, grains, nuts, pork, salt, processed, artificially flavored, preservative-laden foods. I will also have only apple cider vinegar and flax seed oil, only 2 servings of fruit daily, and drink only water/lemon water/water spiked with unsweetened cranberry juice. It'll only last a little while until I can re-incorporate some foods back in to track how my body reacts to it, so it isn't a question of sustainability. :)

How many other people have tried something similar? What sorts of foods are on your no-no list?

Why that list? Stomach problems? I had to do something similar with acidic foods, and it took forever to reintroduce them. I did figure out that red meat doesn't like me very much.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I avoid giving up foods and associating feelings of guilt with anything I do eat.
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow... mine seems unimpressive, but I've mostly given up Starbucks canned Double Shots and Starbucks Mocha lite frappuccinos. There are so much sugar in them and I've trained myself successfully to drinking French press coffee every day now. Not a huge change, but I drank those daily for a long, long time, so I'm proud of myself for making the switch! :drinker:
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    My motto is all things in moderation.

including moderation :laugh:
  • SoBeFitNow
    SoBeFitNow Posts: 16
    Options
    Soda, fast food, simple sugars, simple carbs, sweets, unhealthy fats...I've basically given up all of the garbage that you don't need, and I don't even feel like it's a sacrifice anymore.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I gave up white bread, white rice, white pasta and things with added sugar, as well as super processed foods about 12 or so years ago. Best thing I ever did. I've been firmly in control of my weight since. (except for the pesky menopause)
  • kodaks
    kodaks Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've given up all fast food since new years
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    There is nothing on my no-no list aside from trans fats. You don't need to be so restrictive to be successful.

The only things I gave up were crappy self esteem, plus size clothing, and being a lazy bum.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda, use process meats, white rice, potatoes, or non-whole grain breads.

So it's low-fat dairy, fresh fruit and veggies, whole grains, lean red meat, fish, chicken and nuts.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I haven't "given up" anything.
    I have cut back severely on white wheat, sugar, junk food, fried foods, and red meat. I don't believe in cutting things out completely, it makes you crave those foods more. I enjoy the foods I love in moderation, and have lost a pound a week since being on here. :)
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I've given up Cream and suar in my coffee, white breads/pastas and plus size clothing.
  • Martin0524
    Martin0524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can safely say I gave up all carbonated beverages. As far as food goes... small portions and "bad" food on special occasations if I can help it..
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I tried giving up coffee, sad day, lol. I just cut back on specialty coffees, and generally drink mines black now. and I actually like it. other than that I eat everything
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I've given up the idea that giving up is an option.
  • satxdc99
    satxdc99 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Diet soda. I drink coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day.
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I have not given up anything. I do not think I can go long term giving things up I love. I go with the moderation and on occasion.