Tips to not eat when you're bored?

Options
I have a big problem of eating just because I'm bored. What are some ways I can stop this. I've tried exercising instead but I eventually get tired so I go inside & start to eat again when I'm not hungry.

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Consider developing an engrossing interest that involves working with your hands. Perhaps a craft.
  • hannz33
    hannz33 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i have this too! especially when i'm at work and am procrastinating doing something :p try drinking lots of water or making a hot drink like tea or something. or simply do something to cure your boredom! reading, hang out with a friend chat to friends on mfp!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Bells5001
    Bells5001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Drink hot tea. Most of the times I think I'm just thirsty.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    If you really feel like you need to eat when bored that's a habit you have developed and need to change over time. In the meantime choose healthy, low cal things to eat like celery, carrot sticks, maybe some yogurt, a piece of fruit, etc.

And drink plenty of water too, that helps.
  • hannz33
    hannz33 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Consider developing an engrossing interest that involves working with your hands. Perhaps a craft.

yes this! or learning to play an instrument like guitar :) it's easy enough to pick up and once i got the hang of it i can spend hours playing and singing and learning new songs. definitely takes your mind of eating :)
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem - i chew gum or chew on carrots. i also keep a water bottle with me all the time and have water-drinking goals for every few hours, like i have to drink a full bottle in three hours. tends to keep me distracted. it's hard though.
  • RavenSimone90
    Options
    Brush your teeth. You wont want to eat since you taste all mint (or whatever toothpaste you use)
  • fypspirit
    fypspirit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This has been my issue today terrible. I made a protein smoothie to try and help or have eaten things that are very low calorie wise like fresh vegetables or strawberries.
  • heidikat72
    heidikat72 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    try healthier snacking and pick up a hobby - a craft or maybe crossword puzzles or something. anything to keep your brain occupied so it doesn't wander to thinking about food.
  • Alexia_E_K
    Alexia_E_K Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started braiding hemp, paracord, and other various ropes to make jewelry. It is so easy and I can give them away as gifts. It keeps me busy for hours. I forget about food completely.
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Gum, toothpicks, willpower.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    call a friend on the phone to get distracted, take the trash out and keep walking down the street, enjoy the fresh air and when you come back in have a tea or water and maybe you'll forget you were bored and hungry.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to sound snarky, but get up and do something! Take a walk, go to the gym, put in a workout dvd, mow the grass, go swimming, find a new hobby, something.
  • TessieAnne
    TessieAnne Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, and I've found that replacing it with a hobby is one of the best ways to prevent it. I've taken up crocheting every time I feel like snacking, and my boyfriend has determined that since I get bored a lot that every pound I lose, a new amigurumi animal is going to pop up...

....He said that he's afraid to come home and see me having some kind of freak break down where I'm in a corner shoving food in my mouth and all of the stuffed animals are on fire in a pile in the middle of the room...

...my boyfriend is a little weird... :blushing:
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    lots of water and a pack of gum. it works!
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options

INDEED!! get a box of crayons and color if youre bored. it occupied the mind and your hands and it is very, very therapeutic. ive solved many of my biggest life problems over a coloring page or two!
  • jen9506
    jen9506 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have the same problem ... I eat good healthy meals but then after dinner, I want to go immediately to the snacks. There are lot of distraction tactics, but I think the mental component is important -- telling yourself that once you're done with dinner, "the kitchen is closed." Just don't even give yourself the option. Then, drink herbal tea or water and distract yourself with something for a few minutes ... most of the time, once 10 minutes has passed you forget about it.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I usually try to get busy cleaing or working out. If that doesn't work I do some hand work like crocheting on afghans or something. Evenings are usually my rough time, if I keep myself busy I am fine, but if I don't I am doomed...
  • ashburgh
    ashburgh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good one! I like the brush your teeth idea.