Hula Hoop

Options
Zerashen
Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
Does anyone know how many calories hula hooping burns? I just bought one today, but I can only find the Wii Fit hula hoop data on here. =\

Replies

• singledj
    singledj Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I would like to know too... been contemplating getting one myself. Was really good at it when I was a kid... not so sure about now though!!
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    it depends on what kind of hooping you are doing, and how much you are putting into it.
    Some sources say up to 600 cal./hr. but I think that is a high estimate.
    If you are doing hoop fitness say with a weighted hoop I could think somewhere around 350-450/hr.
    Hoop dance could burn more or less depending on how much you are engaging your body.
    I know that isnt a straight answer, but it really will depend on how hard you are rockin'. ;)
  • Sarahkittymeoww
    Options
    Does anyone know how many calories hula hooping burns? I just bought one today, but I can only find the Wii Fit hula hoop data on here. =\

Not sure but I want a weighted hula hoop so bad! They're specifically for exercise use and they seem to yield some bootylicious results :love:
  • morninglilli
    Options
    I will try to test this out with my heart rate monitor tomorrow, doing a bit of hoop fit, and a bit of hoop dance and get back to you. :)
  • Zerashen
    Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks morninglili!

It's just a normal hula hoop, so it's probably lower on the calorie burning, but it was so colorful and bright that I just had to get one. Right now it's mostly falling, but I hope to get better!
  • Aeonis
    Aeonis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would love to see the data you get from your heart monitor. Right now I put in hooping at about 400 calories an hour after reading lots and lots of postings and taking a lower estimate. But it definitely does depend on how much you are rock, and even what part of the body you are hooping on. I get my Heart rate up a lot higher when chest hooping.

Also, Yay hoopers!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Depends on a lot of factors.. What kind of hoop, how fast, how much effort.

I used to hula hoop a ton. I have a weighted hoop, and sometimes I would burn almost 500 in an hour, and other times (if I was watching TV and not being all crazy with it) I only burned 200-some.

I know this piece of advice is beat to death (for good reason!!) and it's not going to help you in the now: Get a heart rate monitor. Beats overestimating your burns.
  • morninglilli
    Options
    If I am feeling all gutsy Ill post a video showing what I am doing then check the HRM. I have been curious myself, just havent done it yet. This will be my motivation. Thanks! :)
  • Ahanaz
    Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Not sure but I want a weighted hula hoop so bad! They're specifically for exercise use and they seem to yield some bootylicious results :love:

You can find weighted hula hoops in Japanese stores.
  • morninglilli
    Options
    I am going to skip the gym today and work on this little project! I'll shoot a link to my findings as soon as I can get it downloaded. I am pretty excited to see how it turns out! :)
  • jaded082
    jaded082 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have used my heart rate monitor when hooping before and it seems like (for me, everyone is different) I was burning about 100 cal in 15 minutes.

Here is a link to my youtube channel where I have 4 hooping videos for you to laugh at. ;-) I am seriously a newbie, but I like to have fun with it. Sure would like to get better at it.

http://youtu.be/uUgew19PfHI

lol! hahahaha. I just went back and looked at them. These are from last summer. Luckily I have gotten a little bit better since then! Anyway, just thought I would share.
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks morninglili!

It's just a normal hula hoop, so it's probably lower on the calorie burning, but it was so colorful and bright that I just had to get one. Right now it's mostly falling, but I hope to get better!

I *just* bought a hula hoop this weekend and busted it out last night to do some hula hooping! It kept falling, too, which was frustrating since I could go for what seemed like forever as a kid. lol

I was wondering the same thing about cals burned. Thanks for posting this!
  • morninglilli
    Options

I *just* bought a hula hoop this weekend and busted it out last night to do some hula hooping! It kept falling, too, which was frustrating since I could go for what seemed like forever as a kid. lol

I'll send you a link for body rocking ( keeping it on your waist) also :)
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options

I'll send you a link for body rocking ( keeping it on your waist) also :)

Thanks! Hubs was watching me do it last night and said I looked hot, but I think he was just being nice b/c looking like an epileptic hula hooper can't be that hot. lol
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to see the video and see what your HRM says! To the OP thanks for the reminder on the hula hoops forgot about those :-)
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I just bought a hula hoop in the hope of using it to burn some cals. At the moment, my cals are being burnt from picking it up off the floor :( hints and tips on how to do it properly are very welcome :)
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I put in time under cardio for hula hoop (weighted) it should be there (30 minutes is about 180 for 170ish lb person). I based it on a website I found. I have yet to do it with my HRM, but I have been thinking about getting it out again so I will post when I know... probably this weekend. Hoopnotica DVDs for learning are so much fun and it is such a great core work out!
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I just bought a hula hoop in the hope of using it to burn some cals. At the moment, my cals are being burnt from picking it up off the floor :( hints and tips on how to do it properly are very welcome :)

Hoopnotica DVDs, they have a series starting with beginner. They are decently priced on Amazon. I love them!
  • fuselighter
    fuselighter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about trying hula hooping ever since I bought my daughter a hoop for her birthday. I used to be good as a kid too, but can't keep the hoop up now. I think it may be the size of the hoop, so I was looking at buying an adult hula hoop, but they are pretty expensive. I might try to make my own with these instructions:

http://www.jasonunbound.com/hoops.html