Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hula Hoop

Zerashen
Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
Does anyone know how many calories hula hooping burns? I just bought one today, but I can only find the Wii Fit hula hoop data on here. =\

Replies

• singledj
    singledj Posts: 147 Member
    I would like to know too... been contemplating getting one myself. Was really good at it when I was a kid... not so sure about now though!!
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    it depends on what kind of hooping you are doing, and how much you are putting into it.
    Some sources say up to 600 cal./hr. but I think that is a high estimate.
    If you are doing hoop fitness say with a weighted hoop I could think somewhere around 350-450/hr.
    Hoop dance could burn more or less depending on how much you are engaging your body.
    I know that isnt a straight answer, but it really will depend on how hard you are rockin'. ;)
  • Does anyone know how many calories hula hooping burns? I just bought one today, but I can only find the Wii Fit hula hoop data on here. =\

Not sure but I want a weighted hula hoop so bad! They're specifically for exercise use and they seem to yield some bootylicious results :love:
  • morninglilli
    I will try to test this out with my heart rate monitor tomorrow, doing a bit of hoop fit, and a bit of hoop dance and get back to you. :)
  • Zerashen
    Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
    Thanks morninglili!

It's just a normal hula hoop, so it's probably lower on the calorie burning, but it was so colorful and bright that I just had to get one. Right now it's mostly falling, but I hope to get better!
  • Aeonis
    Aeonis Posts: 24 Member
    I would love to see the data you get from your heart monitor. Right now I put in hooping at about 400 calories an hour after reading lots and lots of postings and taking a lower estimate. But it definitely does depend on how much you are rock, and even what part of the body you are hooping on. I get my Heart rate up a lot higher when chest hooping.

Also, Yay hoopers!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Depends on a lot of factors.. What kind of hoop, how fast, how much effort.

I used to hula hoop a ton. I have a weighted hoop, and sometimes I would burn almost 500 in an hour, and other times (if I was watching TV and not being all crazy with it) I only burned 200-some.

I know this piece of advice is beat to death (for good reason!!) and it's not going to help you in the now: Get a heart rate monitor. Beats overestimating your burns.
  • morninglilli
    If I am feeling all gutsy Ill post a video showing what I am doing then check the HRM. I have been curious myself, just havent done it yet. This will be my motivation. Thanks! :)
  • Ahanaz
    Ahanaz Posts: 353 Member
    Does anyone know how many calories hula hooping burns? I just bought one today, but I can only find the Wii Fit hula hoop data on here. =\

Not sure but I want a weighted hula hoop so bad! They're specifically for exercise use and they seem to yield some bootylicious results :love:

You can find weighted hula hoops in Japanese stores.
  • morninglilli
    I am going to skip the gym today and work on this little project! I'll shoot a link to my findings as soon as I can get it downloaded. I am pretty excited to see how it turns out! :)
  • jaded082
    jaded082 Posts: 107 Member
    I have used my heart rate monitor when hooping before and it seems like (for me, everyone is different) I was burning about 100 cal in 15 minutes.

Here is a link to my youtube channel where I have 4 hooping videos for you to laugh at. ;-) I am seriously a newbie, but I like to have fun with it. Sure would like to get better at it.

http://youtu.be/uUgew19PfHI

lol! hahahaha. I just went back and looked at them. These are from last summer. Luckily I have gotten a little bit better since then! Anyway, just thought I would share.
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Thanks morninglili!

It's just a normal hula hoop, so it's probably lower on the calorie burning, but it was so colorful and bright that I just had to get one. Right now it's mostly falling, but I hope to get better!

I *just* bought a hula hoop this weekend and busted it out last night to do some hula hooping! It kept falling, too, which was frustrating since I could go for what seemed like forever as a kid. lol

I was wondering the same thing about cals burned. Thanks for posting this!
  • morninglilli

I *just* bought a hula hoop this weekend and busted it out last night to do some hula hooping! It kept falling, too, which was frustrating since I could go for what seemed like forever as a kid. lol

I'll send you a link for body rocking ( keeping it on your waist) also :)
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member

I'll send you a link for body rocking ( keeping it on your waist) also :)

Thanks! Hubs was watching me do it last night and said I looked hot, but I think he was just being nice b/c looking like an epileptic hula hooper can't be that hot. lol
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    I would LOVE to see the video and see what your HRM says! To the OP thanks for the reminder on the hula hoops forgot about those :-)
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Thanks for posting this. I just bought a hula hoop in the hope of using it to burn some cals. At the moment, my cals are being burnt from picking it up off the floor :( hints and tips on how to do it properly are very welcome :)
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    I put in time under cardio for hula hoop (weighted) it should be there (30 minutes is about 180 for 170ish lb person). I based it on a website I found. I have yet to do it with my HRM, but I have been thinking about getting it out again so I will post when I know... probably this weekend. Hoopnotica DVDs for learning are so much fun and it is such a great core work out!
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Thanks for posting this. I just bought a hula hoop in the hope of using it to burn some cals. At the moment, my cals are being burnt from picking it up off the floor :( hints and tips on how to do it properly are very welcome :)

Hoopnotica DVDs, they have a series starting with beginner. They are decently priced on Amazon. I love them!
  • fuselighter
    fuselighter Posts: 40 Member
    I've been thinking about trying hula hooping ever since I bought my daughter a hoop for her birthday. I used to be good as a kid too, but can't keep the hoop up now. I think it may be the size of the hoop, so I was looking at buying an adult hula hoop, but they are pretty expensive. I might try to make my own with these instructions:

http://www.jasonunbound.com/hoops.html