"real" men and "real" women

Options

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I did not see any point in your post that said people put down others who do not fit into their preferred body shape, only they champion that shape. From what you have posted it seems like you are reading beyond what is written and extrapolating that into a personal put down.

What if I said "you're not a real man because you dont have perfect abs and locks of wavy, blonde hair"? now, that may not hurt YOUR feelings, but for some people that are very insecure already, this may just make it worse. i know from personal experience that this kind of rhetoric can hurt. i have a "real girl" complex over the fact that i have short hair and not long, wavy, soft beautiful hair. you see what i mean? just because YOU aren't hurt by it doesn't make it right.

My abs are awesome, and my hair is almost too wavy and blond.

People can take offense far too easily. Are you sure that a public forum that allows people to express their opinions in the way MFP does is the right place for you if someone saying that they prefer a different body type to yours upsets you so much.

There is a line that people should not cross, and I think that is when people say targeted spiteful things, not for using commonly used language to express a general preference.

Look, I think we can both agree that everyone has a different level of tolerance when it comes to hearing negative things about themselves or the group they belong to. Just because one gay person laughs at a gay joke doesn't make it okay to tell gay jokes. You know what I mean? It isn't about being offended, it's about damaging people or a group of people.
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    I'm not real either according to 99% of MFP users, I'm a twig. :laugh:

Me too. I was accused of having an ED because I posted about thigh size o.O (took measurements for the first time, wanted to compare)
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    'I like curvy girls' = stating a personal preference.

'Real women have curves. Only dogs like bones. No man wants to date a twig.' = stating a personal preference as if it's fact and being pretty damn offensive in the process.

Apply this formula to any other preference. It works just as well.
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I pinched myself and felt pretty real to me. Of course I could be wrong. Happy to pinch others to make sure they are real!

Everyone is unique, that is what makes us real. Everything else is just judgemental stereotyping and doesn't help anyone.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Theres this whole trend, so to speak, on MFP deliberately bashing those of us that do not fit a certain body type. Not every female can be or would want to be a size 12-14, or whatever is considered "normal" or "acceptable". It is most certainly offensive and hurtful to be called a twig, a toothpick or a skeleton. Because of genetics, metabolism, etc some of us are considerably smaller and thinner than most. That being said, and especially in my case, thin does not equal healthy. I am here to improve my hip to waist ratio and to not be so skinny-fat. It's bad enough going through life looking like Nicole Ritchie:laugh: and come here and see so many threads dedicated to putting ones body type down.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    If you are transgender, have had a mastectomy, are naturally slim, naturally curvy, gay, straight, tall, short, large framed, small framed, black, white, asian etc etc and you are a woman, then CONGRATULATIONS! You are a real woman!

Sorry but I don't consider gay or transgender as a real woman. I don't discriminate them but to consider them "real women" wherein they were born with a penis without a uterus is a way off.
  • roachhaley
    Options
    If you are transgender, have had a mastectomy, are naturally slim, naturally curvy, gay, straight, tall, short, large framed, small framed, black, white, asian etc etc and you are a woman, then CONGRATULATIONS! You are a real woman!

Sorry but I don't consider gay or transgender as a real woman. I don't discriminate them but to consider them "real women" wherein they were born with a penis without a uterus is a way off.

Yes, if you're a biologist or doctor, then the gender they were born WOULD matter. But to the average person, it shouldnt matter because you are not dealing with their health or anatomy. I think you're missing my point, though.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

How the heck are gay women not real women somehow?

As far as trans women, there is no such thing as "biologically male" or "biologically female". Having a penis does not automatically make a person a man.
    Biological sex is a combination of genotype and phenotype.
    Phenotype is way more important in social interactions than genotype. Most people never find out what their genotype is.
    With today's technology, phenotype can be changed.
    Primary sexual characteristics? Can be changed.
    Secondary sexual characteristics? Can be changed.
    Endocrine levels? Can be changed.

Also, if your gender identity revolves solely around your genitals, I feel sorry for you.
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options

As far as trans women, there is no such thing as "biologically male" or "biologically female". Having a penis does not automatically make a person a man.
    Phenotype is way more important in social interactions than genotype. Most people never find out what their genotype is.

Also, if your gender identity revolves solely around your genitals, I feel sorry for you.

I take great pride in my genitals. I should post a pic of them.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

You should. After all, without proof of your genitals, how are we to know if you're a REAL man or not?
  • _hi_hat3r_
    Options

You should. After all, without proof of your genitals, how are we to know if you're a REAL man or not?

lol
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

hey we cant help it! , it not only identifies us it controls us.. its evil i tells ya! :)
  • tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Hopefully not after they've been sniped.
  • _hi_hat3r_
    Options

hey we cant help it! , it not only identifies us it controls us.. its evil i tells ya! :)

Real men have control
  • roachhaley
    Options
    please dont turn this into a gender debate, i had enough of that yesterday
  • _hi_hat3r_
    Options
    please dont turn this into a gender debate, i had enough of that yesterday

So sorry...***moves to the next thread***
  • NikkieLite
    NikkieLite Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Very well said. :)
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options

I think I might love you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm not real either according to 99% of MFP users, I'm a twig. :laugh:

HA, yes! me too!!
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options

I think I might love you.

I had this argugment with a skinhead looking guy i worked with.
    He could not grasp gender and sexuality as two seprate things, If you identify as a female inside how can you be gay it just makes no sense.

Also some of the best curves ive seen on a woman turned out to be a man, infact its one the funnest games to play with a homophob