Skinny top, chunky legs!!! Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I would say I'm surprised at the negativity on this board, but then I remembered I was reading the MFP forums.

Good luck, I have the same problem so if you find the solution, I'd like to know it!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    :wink: :laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Photos really would help. Because even 5'5 and pear shaped, my legs were anything but chunky at 115 pounds. I wasn't shaped like a super-model, because don't have the proportions for that gazelle-like look. If my goal was to have a thigh gap, that's just not going to happen for me. The only times I had very slim legs was before I went through puberty.

A combination of heavy strength training and running did make me much more proportionate and streamlined. And I was told I had bad knees and shouldn't run, too, but strength training helped with that, too. Strong muscles support my weak joints.
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    OP, you are fine just the way you are.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

As for my legs, they are the shape I want and are very strong, but not the size I want. I said I look "disproportionate". I simply want the same shape but smaller! And for those that said I can't possibly be gaining muscle... the evidence speaks for itself. My legs are really quite toned.

BTW to those people so damn negative.... WHY?! Really? Bother?!

Let me say this again slowly.. you. are..not..gaining..muscle. If you are eating in a calorie deficit, and doing weight training occasionally, then it's not muscle. Might you be seeing what muscle is already there? Yes.. but there is no way you are gaining. To gain muscle, would mean that you have to eat in a calorie surplus, do heavy strength training and be gaining weight(since when you gain muscle, you gain fat). Since from what I can gather, none of these things are happening.. you are not gaining muscle.

BTW, people are not being negative.. they are telling you the truth. Why ask a question and then ***** about the answers you don't like? What did you expect us to tell you? If you want smaller shaped legs, then get off your rear end and go lift some weights.. end of story.

If you have nothing nice to say to her, don't say anything at all.....shag off and leave her alone.

No thanks.. Not going to feed into the misconception that you are gaining muscle in calorie deficit.
  • HeatherLeahxx
    HeatherLeahxx Posts: 156 Member
    Options

As for my legs, they are the shape I want and are very strong, but not the size I want. I said I look "disproportionate". I simply want the same shape but smaller! And for those that said I can't possibly be gaining muscle... the evidence speaks for itself. My legs are really quite toned.

Let me say this again slowly.. you. are..not..gaining..muscle. If you are eating in a calorie deficit, and doing weight training occasionally, then it's not muscle. Might you be seeing what muscle is already there? Yes.. but there is no way you are gaining. To gain muscle, would mean that you have to eat in a calorie surplus, do heavy strength training and be gaining weight(since when you gain muscle, you gain fat). Since from what I can gather, none of these things are happening.. you are not gaining muscle.

BTW, people are not being negative.. they are telling you the truth. Why ask a question and then ***** about the answers you don't like? What did you expect us to tell you? If you want smaller shaped legs, then get off your rear end and go lift some weights.. end of story.

If you have nothing nice to say to her, don't say anything at all.....shag off and leave her alone.

No thanks.. Not going to feed into the misconception that you are gaining muscle in calorie deficit or that you can just sit on your butt and your body will magically change.

You need to calm down girl.....why you getting so angry? :flowerforyou:
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options

i understand that it is difficult to know everything when posting something on here, but you should remember not to assume. I am well aware that muscle can only be gained with the energy put into it. I know how this works. I AM eating an excess of my maintenance calories, albeit unintentionally. If i wanted to gain weight on my upper body I would have said so. I specifically enquired about my legs only. I thought that was obvious?

And by the way, your first sentences isnt simply "telling the truth", I consider it rude and rather condescending to be honest. I can tell the difference between negativity and bad manners.

It seems many do not believe I can have "chunky" legs at my weight. I manage it. It is not simply bad personal image on my part. I used that word to describe how different they are compared to my torso, hence "disproportionate", which, I repeat, I do not want to make larger. It is toned enough to my liking. I looked stupid with larger muscles before - I'm an odd shape.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    If you have a self-described "odd shape," what do you expect anyone to do to help you with that? People have different shapes. We're not always handed one we like. All we can do is make the most out of what we have.

If you're a pear, you're going to be a pear. Embrace it. Beyonce, JLo and Shakira seem to do just fine with a larger bottom half.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm not as skinny as you are, but when I was on the bike a few times a week it helped me get definition in my legs. That and maybe weight training might work well for you, since it's not excess weight that's the problem, it's toning.
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    Options

i understand that it is difficult to know everything when posting something on here, but you should remember not to assume. I am well aware that muscle can only be gained with the energy put into it. I know how this works. I AM eating an excess of my maintenance calories, albeit unintentionally. If i wanted to gain weight on my upper body I would have said so. I specifically enquired about my legs only. I thought that was obvious?

And by the way, your first sentences isnt simply "telling the truth", I consider it rude and rather condescending to be honest. I can tell the difference between negativity and bad manners.

It seems many do not believe I can have "chunky" legs at my weight. I manage it. It is not simply bad personal image on my part. I used that word to describe how different they are compared to my torso, hence "disproportionate", which, I repeat, I do not want to make larger. It is toned enough to my liking. I looked stupid with larger muscles before - I'm an odd shape. It seems i expected too much from people to actually read my post properly.

Honestly, it is impossible to find a positive decent friendly answer on these boards, since you aren't at a large weight, people will automatically be negative to you, simply because they are jealous and wish they too were skinny on top. The people on these boards really are trolls for the most part and tend not to be able to help people without being rude, it's very sad.

To everyone else, she doesn't want to bulk up the top half, and maybe she doesn't want to embrace being bigger like Beyonce etc, she asked for help, not excuses to stay the same or to become bigger than she is already (not that she is big, I mean that she was to be slimmer on the bottom like her top half).
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options

It seems many do not believe I can have "chunky" legs at my weight. I manage it. It is not simply bad personal image on my part. I used that word to describe how different they are compared to my torso, hence "disproportionate", which, I repeat, I do not want to make larger. It is toned enough to my liking. I looked stupid with larger muscles before - I'm an odd shape. It seems i expected too much from people to actually read my post properly.

Honestly, it is impossible to find a positive decent friendly answer on these boards, since you aren't at a large weight, people will automatically be negative to you, simply because they are jealous and wish they too were skinny on top. The people on these boards really are trolls for the most part and tend not to be able to help people without being rude, it's very sad.

To everyone else, she doesn't want to bulk up the top half, and maybe she doesn't want to embrace being bigger like Beyonce etc, she asked for help, not excuses to stay the same or to become bigger than she is already (not that she is big, I mean that she was to be slimmer on the bottom like her top half).

If she doesn't wish to bulk the top half, and she admits she's underweight and therefore not looking to lose any weight, there isn't anything that anyone can suggest. It's impossible to spot reduce; everyone knows that already. If she is absolutely sure that her legs are as toned as they can be and she doesn't wish to add anything to her upper body, there's nothing anyone can say here that will be both truthful and helpful.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Yeah. I'm jealous because I'm not skinny up top. *rolleyes*

I am very skinny up top. I always have been. But I know it's ridiculous and unrealistic to think that I can greatly change my body proportions. No matter what I do, I'm going to have larger legs. There's only a tiny fraction of the population that has a perfect body. The rest of us mortals have to make do with what we have.

She's gotten a ton of great advice on how to give her body more balance, from people who've already done it. She's chosen to poo-poo all of it.

There is no magic wand.
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    Options
    Which is fine, I just don't get why people have to be so rude about it, you explained the situation very well without being negative and rude, I just don't like to see people attacked day after day for asking for advice and help.
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    Options
    and I was referring to the post by ladyjoie, not the one above, obviously.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Right, 5'9, weighs 151 and size 4.. Clearly jealous of Op..

I gave her answers, others gave her answers.. and she doesn't want to use them..instead she wants to complain that people don't read her posts properly, when she didn't give all info in the first place.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Maybe I should have said more? Here is some further info:

- A couple of times a week I do some aerobics and stretches, including lunching and squats, even sit-ups sometimes.
    - When I say, I walk, I'm talking upto 15 miles a time; the minimum is 6 miles.
    - When I dance I do it vigorously
    - I used to run but I have a bad knee so I don't often want to try that.
    - And I do use some weights occasionally.

I only mentioned my main exercise. I DO exercise but I enjoy it about as much as I enjoy being run over. I just don't do nearly as much as everyone on this site.

I'm having an issue with my calves.. but it is because my exercise comes from walking. I walk in the sand or on a treadmill and that is the first place I notice anything. Instead of trying to make them smaller, I'm just gonna deal with it. I'm going to because it is for my health not necessarily how I look. If I were you I would try putting on some more weight and strength train. See how you look then. Being underweight is no better than being over weight.. =/