1 Thing you most look forward to NOT hearing?

Options
I look forward to NOT hearing, " What's up BIG MAN?"

I work for a distributing company so I go to 200 plus customers shops and I hear that more often than you could imagine. I don't want to make more of a big deal of it than it really is but if people would stop and think about what your really saying. I often look at the person saying it and could easily think of ten things I would LIKE to say back! Like hey what's up ugly dude or small asian man or weird looking guy! I mean I could come up with a million things to say back. I know they just say it without thinking, but what they are really saying is "what's up fat guy"!! Maybe it's just me, but I don't point out things about your appearance ie; color, size, etc. Am I alone on this??

Replies

• FloWaters
    FloWaters Posts: 4
    Options
    Im looking forward to not hearing "your looking well!" and what they mean is "MY GOD UVE PUT WEIGHT ON!"
    Good Luck x
  • Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options
    I have gotten that my entire life. I remember the first time someone told me that actually. It was in elementary school (lol) and it was the guy that took my lunch tray. He would say, "What's up big guy?!" I always thought he said "big eye" and I thought I had big eyes. It was a humourous tale when I told me parents what he said.

As far as being offended when called that? Nah not really. I don't mind being called that because it's more a friendly greeting than anything.
  • McButtski
    McButtski Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've said that to blokes but it's more about their height than they're weight - I'd never say it to an over-weight 5'6 bloke for example, but would easily say it to a tall skinny man..

I say 'what's up short *kitten*' to the shorties. (not really) (well, sometimes) :happy:
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I agree with you people are rude. They need to think before they open their mouths.
  • queenofgrey
    queenofgrey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    "You're pretty for a fat girl," is a gem that a lot of my guy friends have imparted to me over the years.
  • Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options
    "You're pretty for a fat girl," is a gem that a lot of my guy friends have imparted to me over the years.

Something I get a lot is that I'm pretty fly for a white guy.
  • queenofgrey
    queenofgrey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Something I get a lot is that I'm pretty fly for a white guy.

If this were 1998, I'd think you were soooo cool.
  • Stringy1121
    Stringy1121 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am so looking forward to hearing " YOU are looking slim!!" instead of hearing "that outfit makes you look slim"
  • davekyguy
    davekyguy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think you are taking it the wrong way most of the time. I have probably said that a couple of times to people but it was mean as a compliment, like "What's up tough guy".

I will say I had a young neighbor who's nickname was "Fat Boy" The thing is the kid was skinny. As a kid I heard my Dad and his friends call each other Fat Boy joking around, and somehow I started calling my Dad Fat Boy. It seemed like he liked it.. a "Term of endearment" or something. Then one day when I got older and picked up a few pounds my daughter called ME Fat Boy. I didn't like it.. I'm sure my Father has called me that before and it didn't bother me. From my daughter it seemed disrespectful mostly.

Anyway any time I have used the word "Big Guy" it was meant as bigger than me dude who I am glad to have as a friend and not an enemy. LOL.
  • Losin2Gain
    Losin2Gain Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I soo agree with this one! I don't want my outfit to make me look good, I wanna look good..
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    BUT you are so pretty, so it's okay (whenever the typical female weight rant comes up).
    Or that bathing suit/dress/jeans is SO SLIMMING.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It's big red...

In the black community I'm considered Red Bone..because Im light skinned. And obviously I'm tall and could use to lose a few pounds. The first thing folks call me is "big red".... ugggghhhh I hate it.
  • citydwellers
    Options
    The thing I most look forward to NOT hearing is..."are you tired you look so tired, are you eating right? I've heard to much fat in your diet can really make you tired." Seriously!!!!! So know I'm overweight and look awful! Awesome!! GRRRR