VLCD

Options

Replies

• katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. It gets better after about 3-5 days (really). I have successfully blended VLCD as the quick-start to my journey & then now using MFP to track/plan my maintenance. I do understand and appreciate those who are critical of using VLCD or any "drastic" measures, but I have faith that you are approaching this with the right attitude and dedication. Best of luck with the diet and, more importantly, the IVF!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. It gets better after about 3-5 days (really). I have successfully blended VLCD as the quick-start to my journey & then now using MFP to track/plan my maintenance. I do understand and appreciate those who are critical of using VLCD or any "drastic" measures, but I have faith that you are approaching this with the right attitude and dedication. Best of luck with the diet and, more importantly, the IVF!

WHAT? she has the right attitude? she wants to lose weight on a VLCD so she can get pregnant.

this place is just insane.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You think GMO products are designed to give you cancer and sterilize you? Do you have any clue what you're talking about?

Yep I sure do.

"This study was just routine," said Russian biologist Alexey V. Surov, in what could end up as the understatement of this century. Surov and his colleagues set out to discover if Monsanto's genetically modified (GM) soy, grown on 91% of US soybean fields, leads to problems in growth or reproduction. What he discovered may uproot a multi-billion dollar industry.

After feeding hamsters for two years over three generations, those on the GM diet, and especially the group on the maximum GM soy diet, showed devastating results. By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies. They also suffered slower growth, and a high mortality rate among the pups.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffrey-smith/genetically-modified-soy_b_544575.html

You ever seen that movie Children of Men? That's your grandkids.
    GMO products are designed to A. grow more food in less space, B. increase nutritional content (such as beta carotene in golden rice) in a given food, and C. in some cases increase resistance to pests thereby reducing or eliminating the need to use pesticides.

What do you work for Monsanto or something? Lets think about this logically for a second. The bugs won't eat the stuff. If they eat it, they'll die. So they're smart enough not to. But hey it's ok to feed it to us right?

Eating junk food is no different than smoking and buying/selling/consuming it is no more or less legal. Yeah it'll give you cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc. It'll kill you just as sure as smoking would and if you don't think it's killing people then explain why so many people are overweight or obese?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v9/n11s/full/oby2001134a.html

Conclusions: VLCD with active follow-up treatment seems to be one of the better treatment modalities related to long-term weight-maintenance success.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I just want to ask... Have you been given the green light by a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL to put yourself on a VLCD diet? Because in some instances it makes sense (for instance, after gastric bypass surgery) but in these instances, you would be under the supervision and care of a doctor.

If you just decided that you need to be on a VLCD diet, I would ask yourself if it's worth eating VLC for the rest of your life, because you WILL damage your metabolism this way.
  • lucystrut
    lucystrut Posts: 27 Member
    Options

WHAT? she has the right attitude? she wants to lose weight on a VLCD so she can get pregnant.

this place is just insane.

yes this is exactly what I want to do, after 6 yrs of trying everything else I can think of and failing at the first hurdle, and witnessing first hand a success story, obviously I am going to be tempted to try it, if that makes me insane so be it
  • lucystrut
    Options

thanks very much appreciate that, don't intend to stay on it forever, looking at a short period for a quick boost, then will raise calorie intake to around 1200 and just eat healthily, thats the plan anyways
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    yes this is exactly what I want to do, after 6 yrs of trying everything else I can think of and failing at the first hurdle, and witnessing first hand a success story, obviously I am going to be tempted to try it, if that makes me insane so be it

If you've got a BMI > 37 you really need to consider something longer term.
  • lucystrut
    Options
    I just want to ask... Have you been given the green light by a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL to put yourself on a VLCD diet? Because in some instances it makes sense (for instance, after gastric bypass surgery) but in these instances, you would be under the supervision and care of a doctor.

If you just decided that you need to be on a VLCD diet, I would ask yourself if it's worth eating VLC for the rest of your life, because you WILL damage your metabolism this way.

I haven't told my doctor I'm starting this, but I did discuss it previously with a doctor who said that provided I was otherwise healthy and did it for no longer than 3 weeks at a time. I filled in and signed forms that are to go to my doctor notifying them that I've started it
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    i wish you the best of luck but be warned, they're not highly recommended - i know, l lost 7 stone on lighterlife, felt amazing but put it all back on...and sadly when i started maintenance i had more of a problem with food than i did before, but everyone is different, thats just my experience.
    i also found after day 4 i wasn't hungry because my body went into ketosis. i did lose a lot of hair however and it didn't grow back even though i was told more than once it would. don't want to scare you, i wish i knew all the information on it before i started, if i'd known what i know now i would of ran a mile.
    have you tried eating clean and exercising, i promise you you'll feel 100% better than you will on a VLCD
    whatever your future holds, whatever you decide to do, i wish you the best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You think GMO products are designed to give you cancer and sterilize you? Do you have any clue what you're talking about?

Yep I sure do.

"This study was just routine," said Russian biologist Alexey V. Surov, in what could end up as the understatement of this century. Surov and his colleagues set out to discover if Monsanto's genetically modified (GM) soy, grown on 91% of US soybean fields, leads to problems in growth or reproduction. What he discovered may uproot a multi-billion dollar industry.

After feeding hamsters for two years over three generations, those on the GM diet, and especially the group on the maximum GM soy diet, showed devastating results. By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies. They also suffered slower growth, and a high mortality rate among the pups.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffrey-smith/genetically-modified-soy_b_544575.html

You ever seen that movie Children of Men? That's your grandkids.
    GMO products are designed to A. grow more food in less space, B. increase nutritional content (such as beta carotene in golden rice) in a given food, and C. in some cases increase resistance to pests thereby reducing or eliminating the need to use pesticides.

What do you work for Monsanto or something? Lets think about this logically for a second. The bugs won't eat the stuff. If they eat it, they'll die. So they're smart enough not to. But hey it's ok to feed it to us right?

Eating junk food is no different than smoking and buying/selling/consuming it is no more or less legal. Yeah it'll give you cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc. It'll kill you just as sure as smoking would and if you don't think it's killing people then explain why so many people are overweight or obese?

Well if it was in the Huffington Post it's got to be true.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Did your mother drop you on your head when you were a baby?
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You do not need to lose weight to go through IVF, and that is just for starters. Second off, you cannot go into a pregnancy starving your body of everything it needs. The thought of that positively makes me sick. You should figure out your TDEE and eat at a 15-20% deficit of it and you will lose weight consistently. Starving yourself for a quick fix, while I disagree with it is one thing and your business. Doing it to get pregnant with a child?:noway:

To each their own but you SHOULD NOT be doing this with the intention of it helping you get pregnant.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Sorry it's making you feel miserable, it really doesn't sound ideal if it it hasn't been recommended by your own doctor.

As you've joined MFP, I can thoroughly recommend using it just as designed. Set your goals to lose 1lb a week, up to 2lb if you've a lot to lose, record everything you eat, get some regular exercise in and BINGO! You'll lose weight like magic without any special diet, just a bit less food. Weight will fly off in the first couple of weeks then settle into a steady loss without you feeling at all deprived.

Add lots of supportive friends, read some of the awesome forum advice, find exercise you love and you'll stick with it far longer than any "diet".

You'll be able to stick with it way past the second day, I promise! :flowerforyou:

PS As you're motivated by success stories, check out the MFP success stories, there are some awesome ones in there all done sensibly and some from ladies who lost weight to start a family like you.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I found the group sessions on lighter life very helpful and I still use some of that to analyse myself now in relation to weight and eating. After the first couple of weeks I found I just could not stick to the daily cal intake - its is just very low. However, I didnt have the motivation you do. Having said that if you stick to it rigidly the hunger is less than with any carbs added I think 3 days is the magic number more or less and then the ketosis does help.

Good luck - it is a very hard way to lose weight - if you find you cant manage it do make sure you do a staged move back into ordinary eating otherwise you will just put on even more than you started with because your metabolism adjusts.
  • yarwell
    Options
    You do not need to lose weight to go through IVF
    That does rather depend on the funding and other policies in place. IVF is an expensive procedure and may be declined if the recipient has other medical conditions of which obesity is one.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Im assuming you are in the UK and this is the NHS restrictions on IVF. What BMI do you need to be accepted for treatment?
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    Well if it was in the Huffington Post it's got to be true.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Did your mother drop you on your head when you were a baby?

Nice ad hominem attack there.

By all means continue to consume the GMO corn and soy products, artificial sweeteners like aspartame and high fructose corn syrup and flavour enhancers like MSG. Pop a few SSRI's and wash it all down with fluoridated water and softdrink and feed it to your kids and grand kids. By them Mcdonalds and KFC and Taco Belle and potatoes and corn chips every day if you want, it doesn't change anything about the effects of that lifestyle and it sure doesn't bother me if they all die.

But if someone had an interest in improving their health and not dying. Eating clean and getting plenty of exercise and nutrients and minerals and water could, conceivably significantly improve their health and fertility. But i wouldn't know anything about that because I read it on MFP and what would they know right?
  • lucystrut
    Options
    You do not need to lose weight to go through IVF, and that is just for starters. Second off, you cannot go into a pregnancy starving your body of everything it needs. The thought of that positively makes me sick. You should figure out your TDEE and eat at a 15-20% deficit of it and you will lose weight consistently. Starving yourself for a quick fix, while I disagree with it is one thing and your business. Doing it to get pregnant with a child?:noway:

To each their own but you SHOULD NOT be doing this with the intention of it helping you get pregnant.

incorrect. yes you do to qualify for free IVF treatment in the UK if your BMI is over ur health board's set level, which here is 30. I will be another 2 years on the list before I will be having treatment. As I said, i only plan doing this diet for a very short period as a quick kickstart then will follow all the advice you guys have given me. Clearly, I would not be on such a strict diet were there any likliehood of me being pregnant now or falling pregnant imminently
  • yarwell
    Options
    "implementation of BMI restrictions resulted in:- A reduction in women >BMI 30 from 16.9% in 2005, to 2.3% in 2007 An increase in clinical pregnancy rates from 14.9% in 2005 to 31.1% in 2007." NHS Wales.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You say you have tried everything but have you spoken to a nutritionist? A VLCD should not be necessary to lose weight. You want to think that it will "jump start" your weight loss and initially, it may do that, but when you raise your calorie intake you will gain the weight back. I will tell you right now, it's not worth it. I strongly urge you to speak with a nutritionist (not just your regular doctor) about a long term plan.