1st time I have been told to lose weight by a doctor

Options
amjaan
amjaan Posts: 2 Member
Hi my name is Amanda I weigh 173.4lbs and was recently told by my doctor that I need to lose some weight I have never had a doctor tell me that I am a little sad. I am trying to watch my calories but I can't really do much exercise with my schedule but I would love some support :) I am moving alot but the weight seems to stay I think part of it might be stress but there is not too much I can do about that right now but I have been eating better but still nott losing much at all :(

Replies

• vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am far from perfect, but I would be happy to help as much as I can.
  • Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Start by keeping your dairy and you will see where you can make improvements. It really is eye opening.
  • kylas7
    kylas7 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hey~~~
    nice to meet you~~~
    If right now you can't exerscise a lot, I would try to get a little walking in, if you can work that in, if anything walk- it is good and defintely a good start, this is what I do if my day was busy, I try to get some walknig in, even if it is 10-15-20 mins. Whatever you can fit in, it's better than nothing. Keep making changes on the eating, that is a good start, don't be down you sound like you are doing well with making changes on eating already, this is a great start. Also drink lots of water)
    I hope this helps and encourages you, to keep going forward) feel free to add me if you would like ~~~
  • ahawks98
    ahawks98 Posts: 19
    Options
    I agree with Kylas7, it sounds like you are making all the right changes--keep it up and don't get discouraged. I would also say to keep en eye on your calorie intake. You need to have an intake of at least 1200, if you are like me--probably try to cut down as much as possible but everywhere I read that you need to take a good amount of calories depending on your height, age, weight in order to lose the extra lbs. or your body will go into starvation mode and shut down.

Feel free to add me as friend, I also need all the encouragement I can have-it is not easy to stay healthy and active with all the stresses of life and friends help for sure :)
  • amjaan
    amjaan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all I will keep going the best I can and I hope things work out
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Look at the bright side, you don't have to lose much! :) Good luck on your journey, you can do this!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    A doctor once told me that... He said I needed to lose 50 pounds, and that I HAD to join a gym because I'd never be able to do it at home. "Everyone always thinks they can do it at home, but they can't." He told me it wasn't my fault I was fat, it was my genes.

Well, he didn't know what he was talking about. I needed to lose more like 150 pounds, not 50. And it WAS my fault. The 5000+ calories in Big Macs or Wendy's combos that I could eat in one day tell me my genes had nothing to do with it.

And I AM doing it at home, on my own.

And you can, too.

(Or join a gym, whichever works for you!)
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    LIkewise, feel free to add me, im doing it for my health too I had been heavy for too long and was always dissapointed when I looked at the healthy weight chart and I was way off
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I really sorry you feel sad your GP told you to lose weight. I hope one day when you've lost weight you can look back on that moment and see it as a turning point to living a healthier, happier life. I often debate about confronting a patient about their weight problem - I don't want to make them feel as if I'm dismissing their health concerns. But likewise, I don't want to ignore the biggest factor to their future health. I spend a lot of time reassuring patients that I'm hearing their concerns and prepared to look beyond "their weight" for a cause of their problems, but I also want them to know I'm worried, I care and I'm there to help and encourage. I hope on second thought this is what your GP was trying to do too.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I started at 185 lbs, and while I am ENJOYING losing weight, the original reason was to help fertility issues. Incidentally, this has been the most painless bout of weightloss I have ever experienced. my initial goal was 15 lbs, with the plan to lose another 15. I have not been hungry, I have taken 2 mini vacations and build in things I love in my diet (ice cream, pizza) in sensible portions.
    When I have time, I work out a lot (for me, not compared to some of my friends), when I don't have much time, I try to get in a half hour walk a day. You CAN do this!

Feel free to add me.
  • MThornburg74
    Options
    Hi there! I can understand your sadness, but like some of the other posters said, look at this in a positive way to future health. I think you and I are similar in that we have a lot of stress and very busy days...Looks like you might be a mommy, too. I am a mommy of 2- a 7 year old and a 2 year old. Both girls. I work an extremely hectic and busy schedule, am the primary caregiver for my kids, etc. In short, my life is very crazy.

After looking at pics on FB that I was "tagged" in and avoiding the mirror and scale for a long time, I felt like I had to "find" myself again under all of this fat. As a former Division I college athlete who was fit and in the best shape ever, my body changed dramatically after having my kids and without much support, I focused on caring for THEM and neglecting ME. So, I made the choice to make the committment and even though I work out at 5am or at 11:30pm sometimes, I work out. I have lost 15 pounds so far and must be losing inches because the pants I was wearing literally fell to the floor when I put them on.

I am 6'3" tall and want to get the scale back down to a weight that starts with a "1" instead of a "2". I have a ways to go, but am motivated now and really proud that I am taking care of ME, because ultimately I am taking care of my kids...I will be around a lot longer for them!!

Hang in there...start slow...take the stairs, park further away, take the kids for a walk, run up and down the stairs when you do laundry, dance around when you are fixing dinner, do crunches or use hand weights while you are watching your favorite shows on TV.... then find some other ways to increase your fitness...

I am up to about 60-90 minutes of cardio a day and weight training 3-4 times a week. I do belong to a gym but because I can't always get there, I run or ride my bike at home and use hand weights for some of the strength training. I am also going to start 30 Day Shred as soon as it comes in the mail! :)

Good luck to you...don't lose hope...You are beautiful and you can do this!!!!!!!
  • curiousm_1
    curiousm_1 Posts: 3
    Options
    any exercise will help.i try to eat my calories and do extra exercise including walking on my lunch at work.30 minute power walk feels great after your body gets used to it.started mowing the lawn with the push mower instead. i try not to eat the extra calories i gain by exercising unless i am really hungry and then i try to grab something healthy.staying away from junk food as much as possible has helped me a lot
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It's funny… I was counting on my doctor to tell me to lose weight to help motivate me! That and my CBC results indicating that my counts were heading in the wrong direction gave me "the facts" that I needed to no longer tell myself I'd "start tomorrow". I found MFP and haven't regretted a moment!

I think the biggest help for me was logging everything everyday, honestly. It showed me in harsh black and white how much I was truly eating and how I needed to eat better nutritionally as well.

The second thing was that even though I exercised regularly, tracking those calories showed me that I wasn't exercising hard enough or long enough. I bought a HRM to get an accurate count as possible. It's a big help.

I know there are times when it's hard to find the time to exercise, but please do try. Something is always better than nothing, I say. It helps me deal with stress, too. Stress is just terrible on you physically and mentally.

Best of luck in your journey.
  • mojo1115
    mojo1115 Posts: 21
    Options
    I started at 185 lbs, and while I am ENJOYING losing weight, the original reason was to help fertility issues. Incidentally, this has been the most painless bout of weightloss I have ever experienced.

I was told that too. Plus I have some fertility issues as well. I started at 196 and my healthy weight is around 145. On goes the journey. The first 2 months was such a shock to my system, I hardly lost any weight. Now it's like my body knows that I have excess weight and it is no longer fighting me to keep it on. It will happen for you. Just be patient and keep up the good work. We are all built differently. Just keep that in mind. =) Good luck!