VLCD

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You say you have tried everything but have you spoken to a nutritionist? A VLCD should not be necessary to lose weight. You want to think that it will "jump start" your weight loss and initially, it may do that, but when you raise your calorie intake you will gain the weight back. I will tell you right now, it's not worth it. I strongly urge you to speak with a nutritionist (not just your regular doctor) about a long term plan.
  • shunima
    shunima Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Well if it was in the Huffington Post it's got to be true.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Did your mother drop you on your head when you were a baby?
    [/quote]

Brian... Seems you lost more than just weight. Get out and run the immature comments out of your system. That'll do.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    As I said, i only plan doing this diet for a very short period as a quick kickstart then will follow all the advice you guys have given me. Clearly, I would not be on such a strict diet were there any likliehood of me being pregnant now or falling pregnant imminently
    Good call keeping it short, proper food is what you need in the long term to get your body ready for pregnancy.

However, as you've said you've found it hard to stick past day 2 on most diets, I was just wondering if taking it more easy from the start might make you more likely to stick with it if your tummy isn't growling all the time? And you will still get that motivating big weight loss right at the start.

I've never stuck with a "diet" for long, but I'm into my second year with MFP because it's so darn easy :flowerforyou:
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Just be careful you don't stay on it too long - it will be a detriment to your fertility!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you want to be having a baby off the back of a VLCD and the assosciated nutritional deprivation?
  • Peejai
    Peejai Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow Bit Harsh there on the dying bit .. Maybe some words of encouragement might have been better .
  • lucystrut
    lucystrut Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have tried just following a sensible eating plan as well as other diets and I always cheat, I have PCOS and get big sugar crashes and cravings, another reason I chose to start with a VLCD as I read that its good it those circumstances, any other healthy eating plan I've tried before has been carb-heavy and I'm hungry every couple of hours, now I've had a soup mealpack at lunchtime I feel a lot better, think it was just too long from 6.30am to 1.30pm to only have had a shake pack. Whenever I have tried just calorie counting and/or eating healthily before I end up thinking oh I can just have a little bit, but a little bit is never enough, then I'm like well I was bad this morning so today's ruined so might as well be bad this afternoon, and so on. Thought because with this I'm not allowed that "little bit" that gets the ball rolling it might, in a perverse way, be easier to stick to. I really don't know what's best as there's so many conflicting views, all I know is I'm willing to try it
  • lucystrut
    Options
    "implementation of BMI restrictions resulted in:- A reduction in women >BMI 30 from 16.9% in 2005, to 2.3% in 2007 An increase in clinical pregnancy rates from 14.9% in 2005 to 31.1% in 2007." NHS Wales.

I don't really know what that means? All I know is I was advised I had to bring my BMI under 30 to be considered to have treatment, and the lower I could bring it (only to a healthy level, obviosuly) the more likely it is my treatment will be successful
  • lucystrut
    Options
    Are you sure you want to be having a baby off the back of a VLCD and the assosciated nutritional deprivation?

absolutely not, as I said I am looking at 2 years before reaching the top of the waiting list for treatment, I only intend doing this for a very short period, I do it for 3 weeks then when I add a healthy dinner in week 4 if I'm happy with my weight loss that week I'll stay on that 50/50 plan for a period then just go to health eating, if I was pregnant or there was any chance of me becoming pregnant imminently then I wouldnt even be contemplating it. The counsellor assured me that i wouldnt be deprived of nutrients as the packs have all the vitamins minerals etc :-/ she stressed that if anything if I'm struggling to have them all I should ditch my protein snack not a pack, because of the vitamin content :-/. Same as I'm told not to take any supplements :-/ so confusing.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    it means when NHS Wales stopped doing IVF on obese patients the success rate for IVF doubled. Previously 16% of recipients were obese.
  • ironanimal
    Options

absolutely not, as I said I am looking at 2 years before reaching the top of the waiting list for treatment, I only intend doing this for a very short period, I do it for 3 weeks then when I add a healthy dinner in week 4 if I'm happy with my weight loss that week I'll stay on that 50/50 plan for a period then just go to health eating, if I was pregnant or there was any chance of me becoming pregnant imminently then I wouldnt even be contemplating it. The counsellor assured me that i wouldnt be deprived of nutrients as the packs have all the vitamins minerals etc :-/ she stressed that if anything if I'm struggling to have them all I should ditch my protein snack not a pack, because of the vitamin content :-/. Same as I'm told not to take any supplements :-/ so confusing.

If you have two years to do it, I really doubt a VLCD will help you because you're likely to regain any weight you lose on it in that time. There are lots of women here with PCOS, so perhaps you should ask for advice from their own experiences and formulate a healthy eating and exercise plan from that.
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Started on a VLCD yesterday, ahhh all I can think about, see and smell is food, awful :-( could (almost) cry

Did that some years ago. Never ever again. What a torture! So not worth it!
  • lucystrut
    Options
    it means when NHS Wales stopped doing IVF on obese patients the success rate for IVF doubled. Previously 16% of recipients were obese.

thanks for clarifying :-)

yes my consultant is very good and didn;t think she would advise me that if it wasn't correct
  • yarwell
    Options
    I really doubt a VLCD will help you because you're likely to regain any weight you lose on it in that time.
    The same can be said of any diet, people are just being a bit selective here.

The article in Nature and the UK's Health Authorities believe VLCDs to be safe and effective for obese patients for 4-6 weeks. There is no "nutritional deprivation" because a) the VLCDs are formulated with complete mineral & vitamins and b) there's at least 100,000 calories worth of excess fat to use up if your BMI is 37.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The article in Nature and the UK's Health Authorities believe VLCDs to be safe and effective for obese patients for 4-6 weeks. There is no "nutritional deprivation" because a) the VLCDs are formulated with complete mineral & vitamins and b) there's at least 100,000 calories worth of excess fat to use up if your BMI is 37.

Those studies were done with patients under very controlled circumstances under medical supervision.
  • ironanimal
    Options
    I really doubt a VLCD will help you because you're likely to regain any weight you lose on it in that time.
    The same can be said of any diet, people are just being a bit selective here.

Of course, you can regain weight following any 'diet'. I don't dispute that. My point is the more radical a change from the norm a diet is, the less likely you are to be able to gradually adapt to a more usual eating plan coming out of it and avoid regaining whatever weight you lost.
  • gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Take absolutely no notice of all the doubters on here. I have been doing Lighter life light and am now maintaining. The counselling sessions are second to none and have given me an insight into why I overeat where nothing had done that before.
    It is a long haul towards have a healthy attitude to food and controlling your weight efffectively and the VLCD is only a small part of this. Stick with it and you will get to your goal and then learn to eat in a healthy sustainable way for the rest of your life with the back up of a trained counsellor to help you.
  • gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    And the americans on here don't have Lighter Life so are unaware of the whole programme and what it actually entails. It is not just a VLCD and many people have huge success and maintain in a way that no other programme manges to do. There is lifelong support if you go through the 'route to management' part and a maintenance group to help you with eating in a sutainable and healthy way after the weight has been lost.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Those studies were done with patients under very controlled circumstances under medical supervision.
    Which means we can have confidence in the reported outcome and not wonder if someone had their head in the fridge or whatever.

Support and access to advice will help with success of any weight loss programme.

http://www.domuk.org/files/very-low-energy-diets.pdf is a rounded summary of the issues.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

By all means continue to consume the GMO corn and soy products, artificial sweeteners like aspartame and high fructose corn syrup and flavour enhancers like MSG. Pop a few SSRI's and wash it all down with fluoridated water and softdrink and feed it to your kids and grand kids. By them Mcdonalds and KFC and Taco Belle and potatoes and corn chips every day if you want, it doesn't change anything about the effects of that lifestyle and it sure doesn't bother me if they all die.

But if someone had an interest in improving their health and not dying. Eating clean and getting plenty of exercise and nutrients and minerals and water could, conceivably significantly improve their health and fertility. But i wouldn't know anything about that because I read it on MFP and what would they know right?

I'm all in favour of improved nutrition and eating a clean, nutrient dense diet. I haven't stepped foot in the golden arches or KFC for years but when you make assertions that GMO products are designed to intentionally inflict harm on those consuming them it makes it hard to take the post seriously.

Keep in mind too that the source you quoted has a very clear political agenda (all media outlets are biased, some just a little more subtle)