Avoiding Weight Gain Whilst Fasting

Options
13»

Replies

• GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Woah - I don't think Umeboshi is being rude - it's an honest recommendation, up to you to take it or leave it!

I have a few friends who celebrate Ramadan as well, and they have the same problem. One of them has honestly told me that she has to drink a bit of juice through out the day, other wise she just feels weak and binges during the feast. I don't know if this is an option for you, probably not, but this is how she manages it!

And when you are able to eat - since you are doing it once every day during this period, I think it would make sense to eat regular portion sizes, but a few, through out the feast. That way, you're still taking in let's say 1800-2000 cals to maintain your weight.

It must be SO hard to make healthy choices when you haven't eaten all day though!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    P.S. I would read up on some "intermittent fasting" articles, because tha's pretty much what you'll be doing. I think they might help!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!

So Ramadan is fast approaching with only 8 weeks to go. What we tend to do is fast (food + water) from sun rise till sun set for 30 days, as it is in the Summer the fasting days are going to be painfully long.

Generally every year I tend to gain weight despite fasting :( once you can eat all you want to do is just stuff your face...and as it is so late in the night as well it just sits around thanks to a slower metabolism and adds to the chub around my stomach.

Would anyone be able to give some tips on what to do during this period to carry on weight loss/or at least maintain the weight?

Thanks!
    Warda

Fasting does NOT lead to fat gain. Eating too many calories does. With that being said, simply control your calories when you break your fast instead eating like a bottomless pit.

Also, your metabolism is not slower at night. Calories in/out over the span of a day.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Warda,

The only thing you can do is keep tracking and logging your foods and remain in a calorie deficit under your maintenance (TDEE). Use the fasting opportunity to your advantage. Do cardio and weight train WHILE fasted.
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if my advice might help but if I were in yoru situation I'd have a routine of two meals not during the day, when coming out of the fasting period I would make the meals smaller and gradually move them back to normal eating times.
    If you eat in the morning before the sun and in the evening after the sun then when coming out of the fast move the two meals back into normal times and add in lunch aswell. Hopefully you can gradually get back to your normal eating habits.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    There are so many reasons for fasting, one of which is learning *self control*. And *respect* for things that you don't see the reason for now but might later, respect which should extend to traditions unless you see an obvious reason that the custom is degrading or destructive, which this one really isn't. There's been tons of research on the health effects of Ramadan and it's perfectly sound. I love some of the respect I see going on for other's cultures and religions here and I'm gonna ignore the people who aren't. ;)
    I've fasted for several Ramadans now and I've lost a small bit of weight each time and DID NOT gain it back, it's not a diet it's a ritual which is different.

EDIT:
    I've never met anyone that felt like they didn't have a choice, because forcing someone or pushing them into fasting is actually against the religion, you have to do it because you *want* to or it doesn't count. So forcing someone to fast would be quite counter-productive to the point, never heard of anyone doing that. I know tons of Muslims that choose not to fast due to everything from health reasons to personal reasons.

Beautifully said; I'm not Muslim and am currently fasting now for my spiritual beliefs as a Christian. Fasting for the right reason is an awesome feeling! :flowerforyou:
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I did mention fasting during sunrise and sunset :)

I must have missed it. My fault!
    Hope you can understand why I didn't think eating nothing for 30 days was a good idea. :laugh: Next time I'll read more carefully.

Lol makes more sense now...and no I don't think I have required self control to not eat or drink for 30 whole days let alone even think about it!

^^ This :noway:
    Couldn't imagine that either. I did do a 24 hour water only fast once. At the 23:59:00 mark I was sitting down with a plate waiting for the last minute to go by. Hardest thing I've ever done.
  • P_Thomas042106
    Options
    Yes with only 1200 calories this should be easy for you to do. I would just be sure that like an earlier person expressed be sure that your morning meal consists of alot of slow burning carbs. I am new to the whole dieting thing but I know that with my body when I eat high protien meals i seem to loose more weight. So at night I would be sure to eat high protien foods. That away you will burn while sleeping vs gaining because you have had alot of sugar and carbs at night. Good luck and hope this helps.
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    this has been a very informative thread as I too am excited about the fast approach of Ramadan!! I hope it goes as well as last year. The first week is always the hardest, but from there it's smooth sailing! Everyones thoughts and opinions are much appreciated and Warda, jazakallah khair for posting this topic!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would add is that you may want to consider eating at maintenance or at a smaller deficit than usual (TDEE - 10%) during Ramadan if you feel that it's too hard to stay within your low calorie goal.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Log all the food you eat and stay within your daily calories.

Timing is largely irrelevant, though you want the fast to last as little as possible each day to keep your metabolism as high as possible as much as you can.

Eat a decently-balanced meal just before sunrise to break your overnight fast - focus on some complex carbs and lots of protein and fat. Then have another decently-balanced meal as soon as the sun sets. Have a healthy snack before bedtime if you can. Keep all of this intake within your daily calorie allotment.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd recommend NOT fasting. If you're not getting any benefit out of it, why do it?

Ramadan is a religious fast observed by Muslims. It's a Very Big Deal.

I get that.
    I simply don't recommend doing harm to your body, whether it be in the name of a deity or a custom or otherwise. Ultimately it's personal choice, but that's my recommendation.

THIS! Religion is very dangerous to women and children. :-)
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd recommend NOT fasting. If you're not getting any benefit out of it, why do it?

I get that.
    I simply don't recommend doing harm to your body, whether it be in the name of a deity or a custom or otherwise. Ultimately it's personal choice, but that's my recommendation.

Why just to women and children? I know my religion at least is just as strict (if not more so, actually) for men.

To OP: Jew here. When I fast for Tisha B'Av and Yom Kippur I just make sure at the end of the day to avoid all the fried things. It also helps to set out what you intend to eat beforehand... and to TELL your family you're watching what you eat (doesn't always work, my grandmother acts offended, but it is a start).
  • yhwhsesther
    yhwhsesther Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Our family does fasting as well during Ramadan but are not muslim and i find that if i ease into it before the start of Ramadan it helps. I remove sugary and fatty foods( most of the fatty foods cause i still crave it) and then i make sure we have salads and fruits to eat that have beans and nuts etc to give us our protien. Fasting is a good way to cleanse the body and helps one focus on prayer and God. there are many benefits if one chooses to see the whole person not just the body,it helps the mind, body, and spirit. if you need support add me :) ill be glad to fast with you for suppor
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    So is there a limit to how much you can eat once the sun sets?
    If not, just eat your calories/protein then and plan your workout around that period as well. Eating adequate calories (not too large of a deficit) and protein (1g/lb as a rule of thumb), along with a high tension muscle stimulus (weight training) should allow you to maintain fairly well.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options

I get that.

Children't are NOT supposed to fast before they're teenagers, and women don't have to for a week and/or if they are pregnant or sick. I love that people are interested in other cultures but it's recommended to do a three second google search before making a statement condemning/criticizing someone's religion. :)
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options

I get that.

WTF?
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Anyway, OP, my family is Muslim and what my parents do every year is eat very lightly when they first break their fast (like soup and salad or something), then they go pray and wait a little bit, like 30 minutes or so until they eat a second, larger meal. They don't go crazy with the sweets and fattening foods like a lot of people do - they just eat the same way they usually do for the most part. They basically never gain weight during Ramadan and usually they lose a few pounds, even. So it's definitely possible.

I'm not very religious and I actually skipped Ramadan last year because I was so focused on losing weight (I know, terrible), but I think I might do it this year since I'm very near goal at this point (hopefully will be at goal by then). I basically do Intermittent Fasting most of the time anyway, so it's not much of a leap. I suggest reading up on Intermittent Fasting if you want more info. Basically, if you stick to your calorie limit you will lose weight. A lot of my relatives gain weight during Ramadan but that's because they gorge themselves during the eating period. That's not healthy. In the end, calories will always matter much more than meal timing, so watch your calories and you'll be okay.