Healthy snacks and the movie theatre

Options
Storey621
Storey621 Posts: 82 Member
My husband and I have been going to the movies quite often lately. So, I was wondering, what are some healthy snacks that some of you take or buy while enjoying a movie?

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been going to the movies quite often lately. So, I was wondering, what are some healthy snacks that some of you take or buy while enjoying a movie?

For me personally....I like pistachios or almonds or beef jerky.....Easy to put in a bag in your pocket/purse.
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    Sneak in your own popcorn, like the 100 caloires portions or some nuts and fruit. I always make sure to bring my "big purse." ;]
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you split a small popcorn and skip the extra butter it isn't too bad if you want to buy something there. I usually take in trail mix or nuts of some sort.
  • jared767
    jared767 Posts: 76
    Options
    If you can check this:
    http://www.nutritionix.com/orville-redenbachers/menu

and this:

http://www.nutritionix.com/search?q=pop+corn

You'll find a lot of popcorns you can take along with you. It shows nutrition information on other snack items too.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate covered raisins :) mmmm

and I make homemade low cal banana nut muffins that the bf loves we sneak those sometimes.
    I do trail mix sometimes too.
  • Storey621
    Storey621 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    fabulous ideas! Thanks everyone!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    First and foremost I would suggest trying to disassociate "movies" with "eating". Any kind of food you bring in to a theater is not going to be as healthy as a good meal eaten before or after the movie, and just encourages the habit in front of the television, which is a major reason why a lot of us are here in the first place.

Having said that, if you have calories to burn and choose to expend them at the theater, there are some great ideas here, and I'd add things like protein bars, Clif or other meal bars, or other things that will tend to fill you up more quickly and keep you feeling full. Though a 100-calorie pack of popcorn never hurt no one. ;)

Many of them really discourage bringing in water so you'll buy a big sugary soda with your salty popcorn. I had a friend who used to bring in a camel pack concealed in her purse - holds a couple of liters of water. If you've got a heavy-duty shirt you could get away with a "water gut" if you're a guy. :)
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    A few things to keep in mind though...

1. don't leave anything behind to make them clean up after your personal food

2. don't bring anything smelly or too loud (like cracking your own nuts, or tuna fish)

3. consider the cost of the theater - if you get in for $1, buy something there to help support them (ask for popcorn with no extra butter...or some of them now have chicken tenders or something similar)
  • auuudriana
    auuudriana Posts: 18
    Options
    I usually go to the supermarket right before and get like two little things of fresh raspberries. They're not noisy and you can "snack" on them since they're small. I just shove 'em in my purse and no one even has to know.
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I usually will bring in some almonds or my own natural popcorn. I will buy a seltzer or bottled water or sometimes if I don't want to eat anything I will bring my own water.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options

For me personally....I like pistachios or almonds or beef jerky.....Easy to put in a bag in your pocket/purse.

This^^^^
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I agree with nuts and fruit. I have to say, if I was sitting next to someone eating beef jerky I'd move. I know people love the stuff, but I've never met a jerky that didn't smell awful.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I usually take a bag of peanuts, a cheese stick and/or a piece of fruit. However, last weekend the hubby and i went to see a movie and split a small bag of popcorn (without butter). It wasnt a terrible choice at all.
  • starzluv94
    starzluv94 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    trail mix
    fruit pieces
    popcorn NO BUTTER!
    dried fruits
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    dry cereal
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    yogurt raisins, nuts, trail mix
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I always bring the 100 calorie packs of chocolate covered pretzels or Atkins bars because there is one that tastes like a snickers that is 130 calories. Also the Emerald Brand 100 calorie cocoa almonds. :)
  • gatecityradio
    gatecityradio Posts: 401
    Options
    I just skip eating while at the movies. I'll go after a meal (usually diner) so I'm not tempted to eat the unhealthy foods there.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Protein bar, aliced almonds or cocoa almonds and I usually like to have some popcorn.
  • frmeital
    frmeital Posts: 36
    Options
    These are some healthy snacks under 100 calories that you can take with you:

Popcorn – 100 calorie bags of air-heated popcorn.

Banana chips – One sliced banana dipped in lemon juice and baked.

Edamame – : ¼ cup boiled Edamame with 1 teaspoon soy sauce.

Pumpkin seeds – These are amazingly healthy. Two tablespoons of pumpkin seeds, sprayed with a spritz of olive oil and baked at 400 degrees until brown. You can add a little salt and it’s heaven.

Toasted pita crisps – One whole wheat mini pita, spritz lightly with cooking spray or brush lightly with oil. Preheat oven to 425F. Bake until crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. Delicious.

Hope this helps!:)