BIGGEST LOSER B.S. !!!!

Options

Replies

• Jadzea42
    Jadzea42 Posts: 20
    Options
    I love the show. I find it extremely motivating watching people get healthy. Who cares that they get personal trainers, medical test, work out 6 hours a day with perfect equipment and get their 1200 to 1500 calorie meals prepared for them much of the time. Sure some don't keep the weight off, but some of us on this website aren't going to keep the weight off either! That is reality! The fact of the matter is they get healthy and lose tremendous amouts of weight. Many of them do keep it off and become role models and speakers and encourage a lot of people to get moving, get motivated and get healthy. I like to get on my stationary bike at home and crank it out! the entire time I'm watching the show.
  • cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    The biggest reality of reality TV is this:

Reality: You watch it, they rake in the money.

Beyond that, don't believe one bit of it. If you like it, cool! It is definitely entertainment for those who do (i'm not a "reality" tv fan myself, but i know many are) as long as they aren't taking notes and trying to get the same results..... which, sadly, is happening.

Now, that said: I miss House.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I agree. I HATE the biggest loser. Most of the contestants regain the weight.
  • mat0424
    mat0424 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree. I don't watch it. It is so stressful to see them on the scale, or have to eat something if they lose a battle...but I do like the one where the guy follows them for a year! It is more true to life. Extreme Makeover.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i dont know anyone who watches the show and expects to get the same results. most people watching know that the contestants are working out several hours a day as if they were athletes. so if anyone watching is upset that they arent getting the same results as the contestants even though they arent working out 8+ hours a day that's their fault they're stupid, not the TV show's fault.

with that said i think the show is pretty inspirational. I watch for the beatings,beatings,beatings and for general tips although i think some of their diet advice is pretty restrictive (ie getting bent out of shape about a tablespoon of mayo. i mean c'mon it's 1 tablespoon!)
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    They are also competing for a grand prize of a $250,000! AND, other prizes like cars, other monetary prizes etc.....Yes, I believe they will do the "extreme" to beat out the other guy. I take away all the tips from the trainers/chefs! I've learned alot by watching the show.
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    I don't see an issue with it. Yes, it's very extreme and not something that people would do in normal life, but it's tv. And a lot of the people on the show are very very overweight and need a complete overhaul of their lives. I think that it's super tough so that when they go home they will have lost weight no matter if they go home on the second episode, or the 12th. They'll want to relax their routine when they're done with the show, but a two hour work out will seem like nothing to them after that.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Any follow up data on old contestants?
  • rebbecarose
    rebbecarose Posts: 48
    Options
    I use it as motivation but I never expect my numbers to look like theirs. They have an opportunity to leave real life and get the help that they need. I think that is a great thing that The Biggest Loser does. Changing lives 13 people at a time is still making a difference. I wouldn't get too hung up on the fact that it doesn't fit real life and just remember that they're just showing you it's possible. Plus if you want that you can take a vacation and go to the Biggest Loser Ranch and get the same treatment. If not slow and steady will get you past the finish line in your own time and in your own way.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I used to watch it so I could see Jillian Michaels. Once she left it took away a lot of the fascination for me.

I did find it kind of entertaining if there wasn't anything else good on the television in that time spot.

It's a television game show and should be taken as such.
  • Sharon909
    Sharon909 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Meh, I definetly watch the show for the entertainment purposes of it. But it does give a good message, IMHO, on having the mindset that you really have to want it and work for it. You cant just diet for a week and expect to see results.
    I love to watch late at night on Tivo when my favorite program is over and I want that late night snack. I get a cup of tea and watch The Biggest Loser and I happily go to bed after, without snacking, because I am reminded how hard it is.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It always bugs me when contestants would beat themselves up for ONLY losing 5lbs in one week.

I can understand that considering the amount of exercise they do. What I have seen a few times is obvious sabotage to predict the results and vote out the people they do not like. They do this by not eating enough for the amount of exercise or even put on weight. It happened in the 2008 Families season with Bradley.

In that season (don't know about the others), the contestants were responsible for their meals and cooking.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Listen to the fat2fitradio podcast on the Biggest Loser.

It's amazing the unhealthy things they promote to make the contestants lose weight for the weigh in.

One contestant was peeing blood before his weigh in.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Best way to watch biggest loser is to tape the finale and see who lost what and skip all the boring drama. :D

I watched a few seasons but got bored with the mounting "Drama" that kept happening each season. When Jillian left and they got the Tennis lady (I forget her name) as the trainer I immediately said I was done.

My husband also told me of the "extreme" things these folks would do before the weigh ins (like wearing garbage bags to sweat more on the treadmill, not eating etc) and I just lost interest.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I love it! We're a season or two behind here in Ireland so Jillian is still on the season I'm watching and I probably won't watch anymore when she's gone. Love her.

Of course it's not a realistic amount of weight to lose in the time-frame. I don't think it's supposed to be! It's supposed to be extreme, and that's why the have very overweight people on it.

It's much better than the UK version of Biggest Loser. The contestants on the UK version aren't as big, don't lose anywhere near as fast and there's no Jillian. I still watch that too though.
  • steamyhott
    steamyhott Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I watch the Biggest Looser and I enjoy it. I am watching all the old season again on Netflix. I dont see it as oh thats me i can do it. I dont get discouraged. I know that they are in the gym for 9 hours a day. Plus the crazy challenges. Majority do gain some of their weight back or all of it. I know that Ali and Michelle have done great and I'm sure there are others. I'm not going to say its crap or that its the best thing out there. I have the workout videos and they are very good I love them.

If we did exactly what they do for 17+ weeks eat and breath eating right working out then yeah we would all be successful at loosing weight but we would be like them when we go back to our lives. It is a game show in the end and a lot of people lose sight of that and a lot of people loose sight that its a life changing experience.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    That is why, if you notice, that several of them have become trainers...
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Any follow up data on old contestants?

Found this website http://www.diet-blog.com/07/the_biggest_loser_where_are_they_now.php

Pretty mixed results, but all in all the majority of the winners have kept at least some of the weight off, with a few exceptions. Many former contestants go on to careers in the fitness industry #1 because they have a new passion for fitness and #2 it's probably self preservation to keep their lives devoted to staying healthy.

In reality, most people who lose a large amount of weight gain most of it back. So I think where the former contestants are now pretty much sums up the status quo.
  • cubba213
    cubba213 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There is a Biggest Loser contestant in our mist... She introduced me to MFP.
    They are given a amount of calories to burn every day and have to get their burn in. They do cook their own food, but the pantries are stocked. The trainers are not there with the all the time, Bob only when they are filming, but there are trainers there.
    They have to hand log their food & figure calories, fats etc...
    I love watching it, except for season 13...

tringlexxx: Keep watching, at least to season 12. Dolvett is an awesome trainer. Watch for Becky Comet, she inspired me to start losing weight, she spoke at an event here in town and I got to talk to her one on one and she said yes she was one of those who sat and ate ice cream watching the show with her family, now she has made the change, not gone back and is using MFP and uses a fitbit