Replies

• slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use spinach where ever lettuce would be used: salads, taco topping, wraps, etc. I also throw a handful in scrambled eggs (with a bit of onion), put it in lasagna, etc etc etc. I literally eat spinach about every day. Usually just by itself with a little dressing. I'm working for my Popeye arms. I don't see a better way ;)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I buy bags of frozen spinach. Add it into my morning eggs or omelettes, add it into most sauces I make and mix it with pasta when we have it.

Putting it in a turkey spaghetti sauce was the easiest way to get my kid to eat it!
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My favorite smoothie is 2 C spinach, 2 C frozen strawberries, and a banana. It's very thick, you could eat it with a spoon! It's also good with 1/2 cup pineapple juice or 6 oz Greek yogurt. That makes 3-4 smoothies, I usually split with my husband and toddler.

My daughter also loves these turkey and spinach meatballs: http://rainydaygal.com/2010/04/13/gemelli-with-turkey-spinach-meatballs/
  • CaseyP1207
    CaseyP1207 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I put a cup of it in my protein drinks with peanut butter and 1/2 banana. So good!!!!
  • Bambooblade
    Bambooblade Posts: 18
    Options
    Wilt spinach down, place in the bottom of a shallow dish. top with white fish that has been poached for a couple of mins in skimmed milk. Use the fish flavoured milk to make a smooth white sauce. pour over fish, top with a sprinkle of cheese and/or breadcrumbs.bake in medium hot oven for 20mins.

Delish
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad starts with spinach. Add chopped red pepper, celery, green apple and cooked chicken. Toss in about a TBSP of sliced almonds and shred some smoked gouda cheese on top. Add @ TBSP of Newman's light honey mustard dressing. Yum!!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I make a spinach pesto with almonds instead of pine nuts. Also toss quite a bit into soups. :smile:
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice in a fry pan, place in frozen basa loins, generous sprinkling of mrs. dash, top fish with slices of onions, pile fresh spinach on top, sprinkle on a little feta cheese, turn stove to 7, throw on a lid, walk away for 20 min, easy and very tastey
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KMSForLife
    KMSForLife Posts: 605
    Options
    2 handfuls raw spinach
    1 cup almond coconut milk - unsweetened
    1/2 cup pineapple
    1/2 banana

It is the best smoothie ever!
  • Pristess
    Pristess Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cook chopped garlic and half a chopped onion in olive oil until tender. Add 1 bag of ready to eat spinach. Cover and let wilt. Add one can of un-drained chic peas. Season to taste with any combination of the following: cumin, tandoori seasoning, turmeric, garam masala, curry powder, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar. Once hot, let simmer for about ten minutes. Serve over a bed of basmati rice. Top with feta and parmesan cheese. Serves 2-3
  • surimurphy
    surimurphy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    DW and I do green shakes every morning. However, we rotate our greens, so Spinach is used maybe once or twice a week. Beyond that, we actually use a full pound of greens in a shake that gets split between the two of us.

As for other uses, I love spinach in salads, but I think my favorite is in a Greek Omelette:

1/4 cup cooked spinach
    4 large eggs
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, (2 ounces)
    2 scallions, thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

Squeeze spinach to remove any excess water. Blend eggs with a fork in a medium bowl. Add feta, scallions, dill, pepper and the spinach; mix gently with a rubber spatula.
    Set a rack about 4 inches from the heat source; preheat the broiler.
    Heat oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture and tilt to distribute evenly. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the bottom is light golden, lifting the edges to allow uncooked egg to flow underneath, 3 to 4 minutes. Place the pan under the broiler and cook until the top is set, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Slide the omelet onto a platter and cut into wedges.

I like to cook the spinach fresh, though I have been told that this is an excellent use for frozen cooked spinach. This is two servings at 254 Calories each.
  • sensationallysassyt
    Options
    I love my Green Smoothies:

1-2 cups fresh spinach
    1 cup almond milk unsweetened
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 frozen banana
    Splenda to sweeten

A Delicious Breakfast~}}}}}
  • goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Green monster breakfast protien shakes. You can't even taste it but get all the vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants. My kids even love them!
  • DivaMaria225
    DivaMaria225 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Spanakotiropita! OPA! No fuss eating this Greek delight! Spinach/Feta cheese stuffed in Pastry(filo dough, very lowcal)

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/top-rated-recipes/five-star-casseroles-00400000039138/page6.html
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas. I don't use any protein powders though. I was thinking maybe a side dish for dinner or a smoothie with a banana or something.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Sauteed with a bit of olive oil and garlic. :)

Then it can be
    - put in pasta with Parmesan or feta and sun-dried tomatoes
    - add to a canned vegetable soup
    - put in scrambled eggs