Exercise at home only

Options

Replies

• thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am an oddball who can't stand Jillian Michaels, but a lot of people like her workout DVDs, so might be worth a try.

Don't worry, I mute her. I can't stand her patronizing comments and hyena laugh.

I can't stand her either. I don't find her that motivating.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I've never belonged to a gym.

I like videos like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (30DS) but anything that you DO on a regular basis is good. Of course you can just do free weights, etc too. It's just about getting moving! Taking a walk or jog is always a good thing too.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I finally cancelled my gym membership since I was never going. I prefer walking/running outside. Also, there are a ton of good videos out there as well as the others have mentioned. Also, I'm not sure if all cable companies offer it but mine has free videos in their "on demand" section. Lots of great stuff on there and lots of variety means I never get bored!
  • arojas1227
    arojas1227 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    BeFitIn90. Totally free daily circuit training. It's amazing :)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BeFitin90/videos?sort=dd&view=1&page=3
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

everyone will give you there best strategy, your job is to pick 1 you can do!

I personally have turned my double garage into a home gym, I exercise in it 3 times a week for 1hr a time, so it's excessive for the use it gets.

I implemented a mixture of tabata timing (HIIT) cardio exercises combined with strength and dexterity skills, I train MMA & kickboxing twice a week & run 6 days a week.

The point is the globo gym may help a little, but having time to get there and get back and being stuck on some machines that really don't help because they're so targeted at specific muscle groups.

Perhaps join a crossfit gym to get an idea of the exercises you can do at home with bare minimum equipment.
    Nowadays using youtube can be very informative if you have some strong basic knowledge!
    If not, perhaps spend the money on a paying a PT once a week to give you a program you can do at home!

1 x kettlebell
    1 x swiss ball
    1 x sandbag
    1 x small matted area

you have enough there to become a power specimen ,
    your body is enough functional weight if you know how to use it!

vary it, find out how many different exercises you can do with your body and with a single piece of equipment and mix it up!

keep your body in chaos, it will be forced to change and make you stronger, faster & have more endurance!

I like to do 5 sets of 20secs work/10secs recovery with 10 different exercises!
    Do that 3 times a week with a bit of running in between and you'll notice a difference ;)

Read everything you can on exercise, see what works for you and build on it!
    Then return to what didn't and adjust it when you're ready to!

Good luck!

:)
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    bump
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would love to join a gym and have finally found one that offers child care on the premisis. While that is my ultimate goal we can not afford to spend the money for it right now. I am currently doing the Couch to 5k (I just started week three) I also add in workout videos from youtube (level one of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred is on there as well as many more. I was sad to see the Zumba leave however since I was still working on the basic moves and had not had time to try the actual work out videos yet. I also have Wii fit plus and while most of it is a little too easy to see real results I love using the yoga poses it has on there and my flexability has increased greatly through dedication. I also go for long walks with the kids. They love riding in the stroller and getting out. We were first only walking to the park that was close to the house. About 2 blocks away and now we walk to the "big" park which is about 2 miles away and they love it. My daughter points at things and we talk about what she sees along the way.
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    I follow work outs from the site below on days I don't go to boot camp:
    http://www.bodyrock.tv/

Second this! I do have a gym membership but love bodyrock tv too.
  • LizLearnstoRun
    LizLearnstoRun Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have had real luck with the Fitness Personalities on youtube. Like Fitness Blender or Blogilates. I'm to self conscious and broke for a gym membership
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some resistance bands, free weights, and do some research on a DVD (P90X, Insanity, 30Day Shred, etc) that appeals to you. Also, you're gonna need some cardio to go with that, so if you're open to going for a run outside, that's free :)
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    100% of my exercising is at home! I am a single mom...have very little time- and I knew that I would be lazy and give myself EVERY excuse as to why I couldnt make it to the gym...so I bought some free weights, some resistance bands, a few dvds and took up running ( C25K is an awesome program!)

I am by NO means the picture of health, but slowly I am getting there...and I am proof it can be all done at home!! As long as you want it badly enough.....Good luck!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Push ups, pull ups, dips, squats, and many more require no gym. I suggest googling "calisthenics"
  • Justin_Simmons
    Justin_Simmons Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Like many others have said losing weight can be done at home. I did not use a gym to lose any of my weight. I have used jillian michaels dvds. They r great. i am currently doing p90x2 and would recommend any beachbody.com program, they are 60-90 day programs. Also i found a lot of great workouts in mens health and mens fitness magazines. Another great resource is the local library, ours has tons of workout dvds that we were able to try for free. Good luck on your journey
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You don't need to go to the gym to get into shape. You know how many times someone walks into my gym, hops on a machine for five minutes, looks at themselves in the mirror, scopes out the opposite sex, and leaves? I've lost count.

BeachBody has a ton of great systems, it helps you stay on track and have something to progress/look forward to.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    me too, everything at home no option for a gym around. Outside walking, running, swimming pool. Inside. Jillian Micheals 30DS and Extreme Shed/Shred, Nike Training Club app, just bought insanity. Have a treadmil...... 50 pounds gone no gym. :)
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I run, bike and use circuit training dvds with handweights and kettlebells. Borrow some from the public library until you find what you like. Don't run out and spend a ton on P90x or Insanity until you know that you will like it.

My boyfriend converted his garage and started with boxing only (speed bag, heavy bag) and has added bowflex, weights etc as he needs. In addition he runs and bikes.

Good luck!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a gym so all I do is workout at home, I have DVDs here and have been using those as well as walking outside.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, I've got some new ideas to try too. I'm about to stop my Curves membership since I only go twice a week for Zumba and it's an extra $3/class (no membership required). I also have an eliptical machine and I do Jullian Micheals 30 Day Shred. I've read a good one to find is Richard Simmons workouts if you are worried about it being to strenuous. I will be purchasing an exercise ball in the near future too.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I lost alot of weight doing Jillian Michaels dvds then my husband got into it so we started buying weight lifting equipment. Got a home gym on sale at Walmart for $150, then kept adding to it. I hate machine cardio soo soo much so I either do a dvd for cardio, run outside or plyometrics. Works for me.