hubs is on the road a lot, planning help please?

Options
My hubs is in IT and is often on the road traveling to client sites, keeping him away from things like a fridge and a microwave to store and warm his food. We live in NC, and with summer right around the bend, I'm not certain how well a cooler would work out for him, having to leave it in the car in 100 degree weather.

It's frustrating to see him go all day without eating because I know this is killing his metabolism, and only encourages him to stop off somewhere quick which results in poor choices and over eating.

What other options might we consider?

Replies

• CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    lol is everyone else as stumped as we are? :(
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    yep, I got nothing! Sorry.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    The only things I can really think of would be packaged foods. You could send fruits and veggies in a cooler and be ok. I would not be sure about any meat or dairy because that could go bad so fast.
  • laurieblair2012
    Options
    My husband is an over-the-road truck driver and he takes food with him on every trip. He has a cooler that is electric...it plugs into the lighter and it also has some other funky hookup they can use in those big rigs. He packs portioned meals from leftovers we have cooked, plus snacks and water in his cooler for the trip. It's a plus that he isn't a picky eater, and he doesn't use a microwave unless they just happen to be near a truck stop. He usually picks protein bars, dried or individual cups of fruit, or even baggies of broccoli/cauliflower and the individual packs of Light Ranch dressing for snacks. So far it's worked out very well for him. Good luck!
  • bstrongerlennox
    bstrongerlennox Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to plan meals for days at a time or is he still home at night? I only ask because my husband is a truck driver, which makes for long days on the road, but he still comes home each night. I pack healthy food for him in a cooler, which keeps everything fresh for him during the day. Of course, if you're looking at longer periods of time of him being on the road - you're right, that is tricky.
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    They make little fridges that attach to the lighter jack or he'll just have to choose health stuff from the menu..
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Have him bring a cooler with him with fruits and veggies, sandwiches, etc.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My hubs is in IT and is often on the road traveling to client sites, keeping him away from things like a fridge and a microwave to store and warm his food. We live in NC, and with summer right around the bend, I'm not certain how well a cooler would work out for him, having to leave it in the car in 100 degree weather.

It's frustrating to see him go all day without eating because I know this is killing his metabolism, and only encourages him to stop off somewhere quick which results in poor choices and over eating.

What other options might we consider?

I'm sure a very well insulated cooler with a lot of ice could do the trick... otherwise... try food that will heat itself:

http://www.heatermeals.com/default.aspx
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    You could make him a list of what to order at each of the restuarant chains he likes that fit his calorie goals. It makes it easier to make the right decisions when you're tired and hungry if you have a list of a few good choices in hand.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Pack with plenty of ice and the cooler should be fine. The food can be put in lock and lock dishes that won't leak. But even with eating at fast food there are still healthy choices out there. Order a chicken sandwich from micky'd's and just eat the lettuce and the tomato and the chicken. Leave the bread off..no bad carbs. What do you fix him for lunch on a normal basis? I can pack a cooler and drive all the way to MS before the ice melts completly. It's only going to be in his car for 4 hours or so before he eats it so it should be fine.
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i have stuck pasta and couscous and rice or grains and things into a thermos flask for long trips. its keeps warm and stays warm too. Ive taken 3-4 thermos flasks for my long train journeys. in a car, you dont have to carry them too!
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If he truly only has his best access to "fast food" there are still good choices out there. Just go through each chain and look at what is the best choices for each one. Make a list of his favorite places and the good food from each. Plan the days ahead so to stay on track. My husband and I do that when we travel and it can be done. If you want snacks for in a cooler we try and get our protein from string cheese or nuts and eat with a fruit. They have applesauce or mixed fruit in little portions that don't need to be in the fridge. These work good for the Protein - carb factor. Quick and easy fillers. Good luck!!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm in NC so I can totally relate on the heat. I have an Igloo MaxCold cooler that claims to keep ice cold for up to three days. I was supremely skeptical, but it really does, even in the trunk of a hot car!

This is the one I have:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/282-hard-sided-coolers/15753.html

I take it on road trips all the time and my drinks are still cold days later. You just want to fill most of the empty space with ice.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Try keeping fruit on hand that needs no refrigeration like apples, bananas and oranges to tide him over on the long stretches. Eat a high protein breakfast before leaving the house as well. Lots of water and maybe a snack bag of good for you stuff like almonds or granola.
    Good luck!
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. To clarify, he's often stuck in his vehicle getting from site to site-the boss double books him so he has no time to veer off and snag something at a fast food joint. Which is fine by me, I don't want him doing that on the regular anyways because even the healthiest of fast food is still junk. LOL I saw something on Facebook today that said something along the lines of 'going to McDonalds for a salad is like going to a prostitute for a hug' LMAO!

When he's not zooming from site to site, he's stuck working on clients' equipment and can't excuse himself to go grab a bite to eat, which to me is ridiculous, but I suppose when you are paying someone for onsite support and your employees can't do their job until their computer is working, it's frowned upon to have your IT guy get up and leave in the middle of a job to go eat lunch. It really blows because these people don't mind scarfing down their lunches at their desks in front of him, yet it's 'unprofessional' for him to eat? What the...?

So mainly what I'm interested in doing is packing him things that he can store in a cooler or something, but then we run into the issue of having to eat cold leftovers which should be warm, etc.

I'll have to look into that cooler suggested by my fellow NC'ian. Between a decent breakfast before he leaves, a thermos for his hot foods, and a cooler that will keep his cold stuff cold despite the heat of the NC summer, we should be set.

How sad is it that I got wicked munchies just reading all these suggestions? LOL!
  • pollywollywoo
    Options
    I have the same issues! My man works 9 hours away - and we travel a lot to see each other.

My solution - An esky and freezer bricks - and also a freezer bag. You can pretty much pack any food you want with the right gear.

Freeze bottles of water too - and wrap them in something like a tea towel. Helps the freezer bricks stay cold longer. Pack your own cutlery too for the car :)

It can be time consuming at first - prepping your food for a whole day in advance - but once you get into the swing of it and you have the right equipment (tupperware / freezer bags etc), it's very quick to do. And soooo much cheaper in the long run than forking over for fast food all the time.

Leave your esky in the car somewhere out of the sun if possible - I put one of the car visor (heat deflector thingies) over the esky. You can also stop at supermarkets along the way instead of fast food joints for extras. I usually pack or buy on the road fruit / protein bars (as long as fat content is under 10g fat per 100 grams) / ready made tubs of salad (and don't use the dressings) - cold cuts / yoghurts / wholemeal wraps / savoury crackers / tubs of pre-made fruit salad. You can opt for healthy choices at fast food joints - but I don't have the will power to do that - especially when I'm really hungry - best for me to avoid them altogether haha

Central Australian summers are tough (45C on a cool day). And when the next town is a 3 hour drive away - you got to be prepared! My trips used to be binge fests - my last trip out I actually lost 2 pounds :) If I can handle eating healthy on the road - anyone can!! Best of luck
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You could make him a list of what to order at each of the restuarant chains he likes that fit his calorie goals. It makes it easier to make the right decisions when you're tired and hungry if you have a list of a few good choices in hand.

This. ^^^^^
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    You can have him look into IF (intermittent fasting) during those days... It works for some people, going till night time without eating will not wreck his metabolism. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting

What I do here in Phoenix when it is over 100 degrees throughout most of the summer is just get extra ice packs and the lunch pack coolers actually stay pretty cold. My husband's drinks are even still cold when he gets home from work. :)
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You might check out the Yeti coolers as well.......I don't have one,but they say they are awesome! They are expensive,but it could be a good investment.
    http://www.yeticoolers.com/
  • lelstar
    lelstar Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Get a car fridge like the truckies do. If he uses his ciggarette lighter already you can get double adaptors or get it hard wired