Foods with lots of PROTEIN!

Options

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options

i definitely have learned that about peanut butter, but i find a serving is a nice salty treat that makes me feel better about eating just a plain old piece of toast or something. lol.

Indeed. :love:
    But cheese is a yummy snack too....and it's a better source of protein (depending on what you get).
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I bought some roasted soy nuts today to store in my desk in case the munchies get to me before dinner. The carbs and proteins were pretty evenly split, which seemed decently high.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    This is one of my staples.

Sauteed Scallops (petite), veges (whatever is ready in the garden, banana peppers, onions, tomatoes, okra, peppers etc), baby bellas & dill. Boil veges until soft then saute everything for 2 mins and season to taste. I saute in lemon or lime juice to avoid any oils. Very yummy and tons of protein.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    try quinoa, it has 19G of protein i believe. you can make quinoa protein bars with it or eat it like oatmeal.

Geez, what Quinoa are you eating? The ones I've had only have about 6 grams of protein per serving...I'm missing out!
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I do not eat eggs, allergic to nuts. going to start using some protien shakes see where that takes me....
  • britcurl
    britcurl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is not a very good source of protein on a diet because of all the calories it's bundled with. A 200 calorie portion of peanut butter contains 8.5 grams of protein. 200 calories of broccoli, 16.5 grams--almost double!

So what if it has alot of calories. I eat it almost everyday. I just log it. Easy as pie....Mmmmm Peanut butter pie :)
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Major sources of protein per calorie:
    1. Lean meats
    2. Seafood
    3. Soy
    4. Egg
    5. Dairy

PEANUT BUTTER IS NOT A GREAT SOURCE OF PROTEIN. I used to think so too but it has waaaay too much fat that bumps up its calorie count. I still love it though, I just recognize that.

the fat in natty PB is GREAT for you!! A staple in any diet and great for the brain.
  • JBHawaii
    JBHawaii Posts: 94
    Options
    I hate to say it, but, if you want good lean protein without pounding protein shakes every day then there is absolutely NO substitute for meat, sorry.

Best bet... mix a protein shake scoop with some fruit and peanut butter and drink 2 a day. Otherwise enjoy the daily steaks!
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is not a very good source of protein on a diet because of all the calories it's bundled with. A 200 calorie portion of peanut butter contains 8.5 grams of protein. 200 calories of broccoli, 16.5 grams--almost double!

So what if it has alot of calories. I eat it almost everyday. I just log it. Easy as pie....Mmmmm Peanut butter pie :)

I eat peanut butter too, I love it, but if the idea is to get good sources of protein, peanut butter isn't one of the better choices if you are also trying to restrict calories.
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    I mix my protein powder, a tablespoon of plain cocoa and some stevia into a cup of plain greek yogurt. Tastes like ice cream.
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    light string cheese: 60 calories, 3 grams fat, 8 grams protein! a pretty good high protein snack if you ask me!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Lean meat, cheese, cottage cheese, raw almonds, seafoods, fish, protein shakes
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    try quinoa, it has 19G of protein i believe. you can make quinoa protein bars with it or eat it like oatmeal.

Geez, what Quinoa are you eating? The ones I've had only have about 6 grams of protein per serving...I'm missing out!
    1 cup of cooked quinoa (185 g) contains 8.14 grams of protein, so eat two cups. eat it like oatmeal.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Another option is sprinkling some Nutritional Yeast (NOT brewer's yeast) on savory foods. It tastes sort of cheesy and is downright ADDICTIVE on buttered popcorn. It is a complete protein and 2 tablespoons have 10g of protein, and it's a source of B12 Vitamins, low in fat and carbs it's pretty excellent!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    oh and another favorite way to eat protein is to put a scoop of protein powder in a single serve cup of pudding. its high calorie (225 cals) but high protein as well. its my lazy version of a meal replacement shake.
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    When trying to get extra protein, just becareful of the fat content... It might be healthy fat, like from peanut butter & walnuts, but it's still high in fat... I ran into that problem before..

But fish, non-fat Greek yogurt, edamame(soybean), protien Shakes, eggs, walnuts and reduced fat Swiss Cheese. I've found white cheeses are higher in protien.
  • agarcia1785
    Options
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I use weight watchers mozzerella sticks(50 cals) oikos greek yogurt strawberry, Natural PB (only 1 TBs tho), edemame (shelled soybeans) , and egg whites. I try to eat at least 100 g of protein and 110 gram of carb and 50 g of fat each day on a 1200 calorie diet.