Arguing Over Calories!! Help!

Options
PShep17
PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
Right, I need help of all MFP. Arguing with a friend about what time of day you should eat more calories or whether it matters at all.

Is it better to eat less at night (eg stop eating after a certain time) or is it an overall intake v output when it comes to calorie consumption?

Help me please!!! :)

Replies

• BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think it mostly matters overall. Your body doesn't know what time it is. And you still burn calories while you sleep. But I'm sure you will get both answers. :smile:
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different, but for me, it doesn't matter when I eat. What matters is how much and what I eat.

I am a night time eater and I eat a majority my calories between 5 and 9 pm and I have been able to maintain my weight loss eating like that.
  • spigenerb
    spigenerb Posts: 29
    Options
    I personally eat right before I go to bed every night. I don't think it matters at all unless you are already over what you need for the day. My final meal is usually about 300-400 calories. Its the same if I am dieting for summer or trying to gain weight.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    The latter. Focusing more calories around your workout may also make a marginal difference.
  • MissesJai
    MissesJai Posts: 48
    Options
    I think everyone is different, but for me, it doesn't matter when I eat. What matters is how much and what I eat.

I am a night time eater and I eat a majority my calories between 5 and 9 pm and I have been able to maintain my weight loss eating like that.
    same here.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Meal timing does not matter.
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My dinnertime meals always seem to be more calories than the other meals mainly because I actually have time to sit down and enjoy it. With that being said it hasn't had a negative impact on my weight loss either; I think it's more about what you're eating and making sure it's a balanced meal. And don't forget to drink water! :tongue:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you eat a large meal very late your body has no chance to burn off any of the calories and there's a much greater chance of them being stored as fat while you're sleeping. I tend to have my heaviest meals earlier in the day and try to have a lighter dinner and snack. When I'm trying to lose weight I try to stop eating by 8pm.
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Appreciate your thoughts :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If you eat a large meal very late your body has no chance to burn off any of the calories and there's a much greater chance of them being stored as fat while you're sleeping. I tend to have my heaviest meals earlier in the day and try to have a lighter dinner and snack. When I'm trying to lose weight I try to stop eating by 8pm.

False. This is a MYTH!

Meal timing and frequency have NO impact in weight loss! You can eat IN bed if you want and it won't hurt you in any way. Your metabolism does not stop when you go to bed and will continue to burn calories as you sleep.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I think it matters over time.

i.e. if you hit your goal for the week you're good, regardless if that was really high one day and really low another.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I do t thinkit matters when you eat. How much and what are the key. That beings said, I don't like to eat close to bedtime because I feel yucky lying down with a full stomach.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make a difference.
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options

This is true for me, too. I eat pretty close to bed time and always have. I've tried it both ways and it doesn't make a difference with me. I find that eating every few hours during the day is best for me (or even every couple), so I never bought into that I had to put my body into starvation mode by not eating for not eating for 10 or 12 hours (from early evening to early morning). Although, eating too much too close to bed time can make you not sleep as well.
  • Kybelle132
    Kybelle132 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have heard you should eat a high protein snack before bedtime because it stabilizes your blood sugar through the night till morning...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Makes absolutely no difference when you eat your calories as long as you get them in..... I go to bed every night with a 600 calorie snack (a glass of Chocolate Milk, 24 Almonds, Kelloggs Crave double chocolate cereal (1 cup dry and eat with the almonds) and have managed to lose a few pounds.... As long as you get in your caloric intake for that day it makes no difference....
  • slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I dont think it effects the weight loss so much as it does your sleep. If you eat to close to bed time your body is busy digesting your food and you wont get as much rest.
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Makes absolutely no difference when you eat your calories as long as you get them in..... I go to bed every night with a 600 calorie snack (a glass of Chocolate Milk, 24 Almonds, Kelloggs Crave double chocolate cereal (1 cup dry and eat with the almonds) and have managed to lose a few pounds.... As long as you get in your caloric intake for that day it makes no difference....

A few! Holy cow. Sorry to briefly hijack, but that is so outstanding. I couldn't eat the sugar though (I'm really sensitive to it). Instead of snoring you'd hear *boink boink boink* as I bounced around the room. :tongue: (Not that I snore. Girls don't snore. ;)
  • slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    : (Not that I snore. Girls don't snore. ;)

I love that!!!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Time of day doesn't matter at all. Time in relation to workout is all that matters.

Fasted cardio is infinitely more effective than non-fasted cardio.

Not eating sufficient carbs/protein after a weight workout will severely impair recovery and results.