Dark armpit skin?

Options
dictations
dictations Posts: 199
Ugh, I've had this forever, I'm gonna try using a bleaching cream soon to lighten it since if I raise my arms when I'm wearing something sleeveless, I WILL look hairy there still, even if I shaved the day before.
I've had this since I can remember, I think even before I started getting hair there.

How many other women here struggle with this?

Replies

• bmanzione
    bmanzione Posts: 1
    Options
    I totally JUST saw an ad for a new dove deodorant that's supposed to help.with that! I have the same issue! Its crazzzzzy awkward!
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too and I don't have a fix. I hope the bleaching works.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Please research other signs of PCOS. I have this and have PCOS.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Me! It really is a bummer, but I've accepted it. :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's just caused by skin rubbing together :P Some people are affected more than others.

Crazy the things women worry about :laugh:
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    this is called Acanthosis nigricans, it is a symptom of insulin resistance
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    I had that happen when I was a kid from that spray deodorant, but thankfully it faded and went away.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/12/16/the-top-5-causes-of-darkened-armpits/
  • TexasDanielle
    TexasDanielle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The dove deorgant worked for me. Not like its all gone, but it did lighten them for my wedding so I was very comfortable on my big day.
  • bottenana
    bottenana Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So this might seem a stupid question but do you think that the dove would help with the inner thigh issue? The only reason why I ask is because, well, being a big girl, I use antiperspirant in all places where my skin touches and i've noticed recently that i've got some dark skin right at the top of my thighs, so yea... looking at the trade off.
  • meliaah
    meliaah Posts: 13
    Options
    Ah! I suffered from the same thing, do you shave often? I realized that the culprit, at least for me, was the shaving. I invested in an epilator and use that instead. I use the Philips one- it comes with a bunch of different tips (shaver, microshaver, epilator, etc). It kind of pinches a bit when you use it, but you get used to it really quickly.I only need to epilate once every week or two, and it solved the problem! Hope that helped!
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    My birth control actually caused mine. Went away when I quit taking it.
  • Shajadea
    Shajadea Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other reply about PCOS. I have it too. Doesn't mean you have it but it's something to look into. It is also thought to be the culprit for the dark inner thigh skin as well. Some have it on the back of the neck too.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Family history of diabetes ? Get you fasting blood sugar checked.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I totally JUST saw an ad for a new dove deodorant that's supposed to help.with that! I have the same issue! Its crazzzzzy awkward!

I've been using that deodorant for over a month now and my skin's really lightened up. Granted it'll look dark when the stubble and hair grows back in, especially if you have dark hair, but the skin itself does improve.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    When I was a bit bigger I had this problem on my inner thighs and HATED IT. It really did fade with time once I got a bit smaller significantly where I no longer worry about it at all (thighs still rub, but not as much). IDK if the Dove deodorant would work on thighs, but I'd suggest using Dove lotion over Dove deodorant in that area.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options

This. I had it under my arms, between my legs and around my neck when I had pre-diabetes after gaining all of my weight.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    So this might seem a stupid question but do you think that the dove would help with the inner thigh issue? The only reason why I ask is because, well, being a big girl, I use antiperspirant in all places where my skin touches and i've noticed recently that i've got some dark skin right at the top of my thighs, so yea... looking at the trade off.

Lemon juice or Tea Tree Oil on a cotton ball/face pad. Lemon juice exfoliates and bleaches. The Tea Tree Oil is good for dark spots especially if mixed with Witch Hazel and if you get any cysts or breakouts on your inner thighs from chafing it will dry them up, reduce redness, and in a day or two they'll be gone.

You'll also want to invest in some body powder to put down there as it'll help with the chafing/friction and some of the moisture problem that also leads to dark thighs.
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem after an incident a few years ago in which I developed a bad rash and broken skin under my arms. I couldn't shave or wear deodorant for a few months, and after giving them both up, I noticed that I no longer have the irritation or the discoloration. I tried every deodorant/shaving cream/razor I could get my hands on, and they all bothered my skin, though none to the same degree as the original culprit. I don't know if armpit skin is more permeable than other skin (wow, what a weird thought), but mine sure seems to be more sensitive. Maybe you've had a similar experience? If you're up for it, I'd suggest forgoing the shaving and deodorant for a few months and seeing what happens. I shower every other day or two and haven't noticed a difference in odor, so hopefully that wouldn't be a problem for you either. My husband doesn't care whether I shave, and I've never had anyone mention my armpit hair - sometimes no one even notices at all - so if you're worried about people's reactions, maybe you don't need to. That said, everyone has their own level of comfort when it comes to body hair, so do whatever makes you feel comfortable - both physically and mentally. Good luck!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options

This. I had it under my arms, between my legs and around my neck when I had pre-diabetes after gaining all of my weight.

yes, but as someone else said, it can also be caused by the pill. OP, ask you dr for a blood test.
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options

yes, but as someone else said, it can also be caused by the pill. OP, ask you dr for a blood test.

+1 on the OP getting a blood test. I think it appears in more than one spot on the body if it's related to insulin resistance. I had it on my neck and underarms, and it was a real wake-up call - began changing my diet and it went away. I, too, should have had a blood test them. I've had several since and my blood sugar is normal.