Netting too low?

Options

Replies

• StrawberrySt
    StrawberrySt Posts: 235
    Options
    I agree you can't rely on calories burned by MFP and a HRM is more accurate.

Don't eat if you are not hungry and don't eat junk food to make up the extra calories either.

One thing you may want to think about in your diaries is scrapping 'low fat' foods. You don't need to eat the low fat versions if you're struggling with reaching your net and it's not worth the extra sugar or sodium 'low fat' options have.

Do you cook with extra virgin olive oil? Cause this helps with cals too. one tablespoon is 12o calories and it's good fats!

Good luck
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I eat the minimum of 1200 calories per day but outside of that I don't eat more if I'm not hungry. Some days with exercise MFP has me up to 2000 calories but if I'm not hungry which is usually the case I do not eat those calories back or I'd be eating empty calories.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Eating enough to meet your calorie goal isn't eating just to reach some arbitrary number. It is eating enough to provide your body with the necessary nutrients and calories it requires to function. I would encourage you to at least meet your macros (protein, carbs, and fats) each day. At that point, if you're not hungry then stop. At the very least don't deprive yourself of those things. Also, basing how much you should eat on hunger is a very flawed system, as your body can get used to just about any calorie amount.
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Don't eat if you are not hungry and don't eat junk food to make up the extra calories either.

One thing you may want to think about in your diaries is scrapping 'low fat' foods. You don't need to eat the low fat versions if you're struggling with reaching your net and it's not worth the extra sugar or sodium 'low fat' options have.

Do you cook with extra virgin olive oil? Cause this helps with cals too. one tablespoon is 12o calories and it's good fats!

Good luck

I don't use low fat anything except mayonnaise. My biggest problem with calories is that I am gluten free due to an intolerance and I hate most of the substitutes and so it really cuts out a lot of what I can/want to eat each day.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I eat the minimum of 1200 calories per day but outside of that I don't eat more if I'm not hungry. Some days with exercise MFP has me up to 2000 calories but if I'm not hungry which is usually the case I do not eat those calories back or I'd be eating empty calories.

Empty calories? Why not eat more nutritious food? Why does it have to be empty calories? There is so much flawed thinking in this thread.
  • StrawberrySt
    StrawberrySt Posts: 235
    Options

Good luck

I don't use low fat anything except mayonnaise. My biggest problem with calories is that I am gluten free due to an intolerance and I hate most of the substitutes and so it really cuts out a lot of what I can/want to eat each day.

That does make it hard!!

Maybe try snacking more? Search the threads (or web) for high calories healthy snacks and see if any take your fancy (and are gluten free)

I think the most important thing is what works for you and what you can commit to for life, not just short term. It might be a trial and error guessing game

:flowerforyou:
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I see my cals burned as a cushion, if I'm hungry, I'll have an extra snack/meal, if I'm not, I don't worry about it too much.

I also used to eat way past the point of full so now I refuse to eat just to meet a number.

If you're really worried, just pick up some nuts and eat them as a snack, high cal to help with the numbers and yummy :)

^This!
  • lakota1307
    lakota1307 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck I have hit a wall, this happened before I tried to increase to lose, didn't work , I tried to decrease to lose , didn't work, what am I doing wrong ? I drink an ocean of water every day as well....
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll throw a handful of almonds in with each meal on these high exercise days. I try my best not to snack, but I can probably just make each meal slightly bigger with the almonds.
  • mrsjacksn
    mrsjacksn Posts: 113
    Options
    bump
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Good luck

I could not have said it better myself. I agree 100% with the above.
  • sweetnessandlighter
    sweetnessandlighter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What am I missing? Why is this a problem? Is it because weight loss will stall if you net too low?
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back all of my exercises but some or most of them.

If you don't eat all of them, your Net will show a deficit.

I focus on eating more than 1200 calories on exercise days (as much of my exercise calories as I want) and as close to 1200 on non-exercise days.

I look at the weekly Net for a good overview. On some weeks I'm a little over the Net but most weeks show a small deficit.

It's easier to see the weekly Net on the mobile apps like the iPad.

(I eat a good share of healthy fats like olive oil, nuts and peanut butter to beef up my calories and eat a good, healthy varied diet so I'm definitely not starving or depriving myself.)
  • Jennaissance
    Jennaissance Posts: 212
    Options
    Snack on nuts- almonds, cashews - they don't fill you up but you get the calories. I think that's why they make trail mix. On the days I know I'm going to burn an extra 1,000 calories biking I make sure to snack on nuts.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    My opinion is just that -- my opinion... There are those who are great advocates of "starvation mode" who believe that any deficit below about 500 calories per day is dangerous... My thought is this.. you are eating more than 1200 calories and are exercising it away. My personal opinion is that you are okay with a smaller net intake if the following apply:

1. You are honestly not hungry
    2. You have adequate energy to complete your workouts
    3. You are getting adequate protein for muscle growth/development
    4. If you are strength training, you are getting stronger -- able to progressively increase your weight resistance
    5. You are getting adequate across the board nutrition -- vitamins, protein, carbs, etc.
    6. You are continuing to see the weight results you want .. in your case, a weight loss.
    7. You are not having unusual health, mood, or energy breakdowns due to vitamin deficiencies.

If you are stalled out in your goals of course you would need to change something. Avoid empty calories.. they do no good. Calories for calories sake makes no sense. If you are trying to increase weight resistance in the gym and unable to do so (after a reasonable time) it could be the result of the body consuming lean body mass which of course is not desirable. If however, you are able to periodically increase weight resistance it is an indicator that you are getting adequate protein for muscle growth and that would be a good sign.

Again, just my unprofessional opinion.
  • Jlwebb07
    Jlwebb07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think this is okay. Simply because you are still PUTTING nutrients (vitamins and minerals) into your body.

I do this and then usually go over in calories on the weekends... I think it balances out very nicely and has worked for me. I feel as healthy as ever.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    If you make sure you get all your nutrients and focus on proteins and fats, and you're feeling energetic and able to do good solid workouts, you're probably OK. Especially since MFP has a habit of overestimating exercise calories so you may be netting more than you think.

If you find your weight loss stalls in the future or you start feeling tired more than you think you should be, I'd suggest you consider eating some calorie-dense healthy foods (nuts, avocado, olive oil) and add a couple hundred calories and see how that makes you feel.

It's all about finding what is right for you. If you are losing weight at a steady controlled pace and feeling healthy and energetic doing what you're doing, then you're probably doing it right.
  • ji225
    ji225 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You should always net your BMR at least - otherwise you will have all kinds of repercussions down the line, its pretty easy to see why isnt it? where do you think your body will take what it needs from - muscles of course!

Its not hard to eat wiser and eat natural foods, no low fat rubbish for a start - as you do needs good fats to keep losing too.
    Just use common sense and dont obsess.
    Hunger is a bit tricky a gauge to use, as once you start upping calories, your body will become used to that new level, push metabolism up and give you more regular hunger signs.

No hunger and being full can sadly be a hint that metabolism has been messed with.