Help what to do about co-workers and pot lucks

Options
2»

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Just say no. And if that doesn't work... scream it. :)
  • divinebird
    divinebird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If the coworkers are really bothering you about it, you could also go talk (privately) with your boss or HR. Let them know that it makes you uncomfortable and unwilling to participate at all when you feel bullied by others to eat. It's a kind of peer pressure that often gets overlooked. Let them know that you are working very hard toward becoming healthy and fit (I wouldn't say 'lose weight' because there is ALWAYS someone who proclaims that of course you don't need to lose weight) and that you need to feel supported in your actions.

Your coworkers probably don't realize how offensive their insistence might be. But if you have someone in a position of authority backing you up, the cajoling might stop!
  • Danielle2344
    Options
    I have the same thing at my workplace. Except it's not pot lucks, it's carry-ins, which means there is food (snacks) sitting out all day long to graze on. I always felt the same guilt - people brought it in, so I should eat it, right? But since joining MFP, I've just said no or nothing at all & just avoided it. Is it hard? Absolutley!!!! But, as others have said on here, just looking up the calories for some of the things and realizing that by 8 a.m. (or earlier) I've already eaten a large portion of my calorie intake for the day almost makes me feel sick to my stomach. Did I really need that cookie & chips and dip for breakfast?? Nope. Now I just stay away from the food & don't even participate because once I start snacking, most likely I won't stop. I'm a sweets person - if it's a dessert or candy, I'll eat it just to eat it. The hardest part is when the food is in my area and everytime I get up from my desk, I see it sitting there and all the other people in the office getting plates full of food. I posted about this when I first joined. Some of the suggestions were to chew gum (which helped) and to listen to music to block out the others up here eating. Since yours is a pot luck, I'd bring in something healthy that you can eat, as others suggested, that way you can join in & know exactly what you're eating.
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You sure you dont work at my job?? Lol! You bring a healthy dish that you would enjoy and eat that & anything else that is healthy. If they push it on you, just say no thank you. Toss the plates they make you after they leave. They dont have bad intentions, but YOU HAVE to be in control of what goes in your mouth. My co-workers have finally stopped since they see my results now.
  • MyaTala
    MyaTala Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for the support and all the helpful ideas.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I stopped by a friend's house as she was making brownies for a Book Club Meeting. I watched as her cat walked all over her countertops, stopped to sniff the bowl etc. She then scratched the cat behind the ears for a few seconds and went back to mixing the brownies. There was cat hair everywhere!!! I simply refuse to eat at potlucks or any of the like! If I am ever tempted to pick at some food that came from an unknown source or kitchen I first think of this.
  • Gettinbk2me
    Gettinbk2me Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Can you eat outside those days? That way you don't have to be around the food. Also ask them to respect the fact that you are saying no. Tell them to stop with nagging.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. Social obligations go out the window when there is an office potluck and my health is at stake.

This is not my best friend's wedding party. Its an office pot luck. Some of which has been prepared by people who, as previously mentioned in this thread, have very questionable sanitation policies.

Y'all have fun and I'll bring my own lunch.

Let'em give me a hard time about not participating. THAT is when you see who your friends are.

Why in the hell should someone in your office give a crap about you participating in an office pot luck? If they don't understand, let'em stand confused.

word
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I stopped by a friend's house as she was making brownies for a Book Club Meeting. I watched as her cat walked all over her countertops, stopped to sniff the bowl etc. She then scratched the cat behind the ears for a few seconds and went back to mixing the brownies. There was cat hair everywhere!!! I simply refuse to eat at potlucks or any of the like! If I am ever tempted to pick at some food that came from an unknown source or kitchen I first think of this.

That makes me want to gag.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    What's a Pot Luck ? I don't think these exist in Australia! :-)

It's a "bring a plate" occasion, a shared meal.

(I know that non-Aussies can get confused by our term - it means "bring a plate of food to share" not "bring a plate to eat off because I don't have enough plates for everyone"!)

To the OP - bring something healthy to share, load up your plate with that and try a little bit of something else that looks really good. Eat slowly, and if people keep pressing more food on you, you can say "thanks, but my plate is full up, I don't need anything else right now".

Bringing your own lunch or eating out might work sometimes, but it's good to have other ways to deal with it too, because these kinds of occasions will always happen whether you like it or not.
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    On occaison I'll skip the potluck altogether, but it is difficult to avoid the social aspect of it. I'll sign up to bring something that I know I will eat, usually some sort of protein or stand alone dish. I will then eat that, and possibly any other clearly healthy options (e.g. salad, vegetable soup, fruit). This way I am in full control of what I'm eating, and I know exactly what I am putting into my body, but I don't have to worry about offending anyone by not participating. I pack enough additional snacks to round out my lunch in the event that I only eat the dish that I brought.
    I don't have any issues as far as feeling pressured to eat food that I don't want. Early on I was asked a few times, I've politely refused, and everyone I work with has been pretty accepting. Be firm but polite, and consistent.

For the serious bad food pushers, you might consider telling them you have a very sensitive stomach and are avoiding things ____ (cheese, grease, sugar, etc) so you don't get sick. That usually neutralizes them as pushing=sickness.

^^^^^THIS! The only way to do it.