Arguing Over Calories!! Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Fasted cardio is infinitely more effective than non-fasted cardio.

I was just discussing this with someone. Anyone know why that is?
  • Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options

Hmm... well because your body uses fat stores instead of food in your stomach.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    if you are a beginner in all this, try to just get used to your lifestyle changes ..try to balance out your meals calorie wise . as you learn more about your body as well as learn more about different approaches , you will find what works for you. ive tried every angle out there . what works best for me is six meals a day with the three major meals being more calories than the three smaller ones . you are fueling your body so you need to figure out what works for you best during the day . as long as i have food before and after my workouts im happy.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    I have heard you should eat a high protein snack before bedtime because it stabilizes your blood sugar through the night till morning...

i try to have a protein shake of whey and casein before i go to bed.. i was told it keeps your metabolism up through the night while you are sleeping. whether that holds true or not i really dont know..i did lose 80lbs though so i must be doing something right
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

No.

It can be moderately better for mobilizing stubborn fat (if you're already very lean), but for the majority of trainees it doesn't make a whit of difference.

http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-2-false-hopes-for-fasted-cardio.html
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Makes absolutely no difference when you eat your calories as long as you get them in..... I go to bed every night with a 600 calorie snack (a glass of Chocolate Milk, 24 Almonds, Kelloggs Crave double chocolate cereal (1 cup dry and eat with the almonds) and have managed to lose a few pounds.... As long as you get in your caloric intake for that day it makes no difference....
    No. 1 you sir are amazing.
    No. 2 I have always been a late eater and have still managed to lose some weight. We are all different. I don't like to eat early and always want something later. If I did both....not a good idea. Just my opinion !
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    There is no "right" answer to this question.
    The only thing to do is to try different eating patterns and see what works for you - you want to find a pattern that keeps you satified and full of energy when you need it.
    For me, eating a decent sized breakfast stops me feeling hungry later in the day... but other people have a different experience.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

No.

It can be moderately better for mobilizing stubborn fat (if you're already very lean), but for the majority of trainees it doesn't make a whit of difference.

http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-2-false-hopes-for-fasted-cardio.html
    Thanks! Being in the 'very lean' category, I have noticed a substantial difference, but it is good to know that this is not relevant for people with higher body fat levels.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Hmm... well because your body uses fat stores instead of food in your stomach.
    I know there's hormonal effects with regards to insulin and such which come into play when someone is fairly lean and wants to get leaner, but from a caloric standpoint both scenarios end up with the same numeric result:

Burn 400 calories first thing in the AM - must come from body fat stores. Eat 1900 calories the rest of the day, body uses an additional 1770 keeping me alive and going. 130 calories put back into storage, net loss 270 cals.

Eat 1900 cals and then work out, burning 400 cals. Cals come from food - only leaving me 1500 to run on. Since I still need 1770 to keep me going, body takes 270 cals from storage. Net loss is still 270 cals.
  • wackyfunster
    Options

No.

Thanks! Being in the 'very lean' category, I have noticed a substantial difference, but it is good to know that this is not relevant for people with higher body fat levels.

Although the article you posted definitely points to a more complex picture:

Summing Up the Research Findings

• At low intensities (25-50% VO2 max), carbs during exercise reduce fat oxidation compared to fasted trainees.
    • At moderate intensities (63-68% VO2 max) carbs during exercise may reduce fat oxidation in untrained subjects, but do not reduce fat oxidation in trained subjects for at least the first 80-120 minutes of exercise.
    • Carbohydrate during exercise spares liver glycogen, which is among the most critical factors for anticatabolism during hypocaloric & other conditions of metabolic stress. This protective hepatic effect is absent in fasted cardio.
    • At the established intensity level of peak fat oxidation (~63% VO2 max), carbohydrate increases performance without any suppression of fat oxidation in trained subjects.
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I normally eat a huge dinner and snack after that and the bulk of my calories come at night. I have lost nearly 30 lbs, so its working. I don't want to have to stress about what time I should eat what. I am hungrier at night, so I eat more. I listen to my body :)
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

No.

This is not surprising as you probably have little visceral fat left and the fasted cardio can aid in targeting the subcutaneous (or "stubborn") fat.
    Also, you should know that while Alan still maintains most of the points he's written about in that article, he has since modified his formerly negative view of fasted training into more of a "it depends" stance. It depends on context whether fasted cardio is beneficial/neutral/detrimental. His words.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    I dont think it matters much per se but I certainly would be careful as to what foods you eat at night. Carbs are generally not a good idea late at night.
  • Hummina
    Hummina Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In regards to body composition, meal timing makes no difference. If you eat one huge meal at 11PM, you will get the same results as eating 6 smaller meals throughout the day, as long as they total the same amount of calories, of course.

in terms of energy throughout the day, experiment and see what works best for you.
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a calorie wear a watch. They don't tell time. :laugh:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories in the evening. My hunger builds through the day so I eat when I'm hungry.
  • Kybelle132
    Kybelle132 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have heard you should eat a high protein snack before bedtime because it stabilizes your blood sugar through the night till morning...

i try to have a protein shake of whey and casein before i go to bed.. i was told it keeps your metabolism up through the night while you are sleeping. whether that holds true or not i really dont know..i did lose 80lbs though so i must be doing something right

Thats awesome good for you! Im down 58!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    For the average human...

What you eat during a week matters more than when you eat it or what day you eat it.

eating during the day for metabolism is broscience.
    so is the idea of eating before bed becomes fat.
  • wackyfunster
    Options
    This is not surprising as you probably have little visceral fat left and the fasted cardio can aid in targeting the subcutaneous (or "stubborn") fat.
    Also, you should know that while Alan still maintains most of the points he's written about in that article, he has since modified his formerly negative view of fasted training into more of a "it depends" stance. It depends on context whether fasted cardio is beneficial/neutral/detrimental. His words.
    Definitely won't argue with Alan... he really knows his stuff. Fasted cardio is unquestionably a lot more demanding in terms of fatigue it produces (just finished a week on Lyle McDonald's stubborn fat protocols, and man, I can't remember ever being that beat after ~1 hr of exercise before), so if there isn't going to be a benefit, then it's better to go non-fasted.
  • b1essed
    b1essed Posts: 18
    Options
    I save the majority of my calories for dinner time....that allows me to eat a good meal when my family eats...I purposely save enough calories for all the BLTs (bites, licks, tastes) while I prepare dinner...so I haven't had any problems with eating late.....I will also grab some nuts or fruit if I am hungry before going to bed