I don't believe in the BMR thing. Anyone else?

Options
124»

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's an estimate. Use it to work out a daily calorie allowance, try it out for a month and see if this works for you. Change it up or down if it's not right for your body.

Simple!
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    science
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think if she had worded everything differently she would have gotten better responses. I saw allot of humor (or attempts at it) but read nothing rude posted at all! Ask your questions, ignore the stuff that you dont like and pay attention to the helpful stuff. People on here are very helpful. You just have to remember that people also like to joke!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    When people tell me they don't "believe" in something that's been scientifically proven, all I can do is shake my head.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When people tell me they don't "believe" in something that's been scientifically proven, all I can do is shake my head.

But you might be considered a mean person if you do this.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I don't believe the online calculators. I had a body fat % test done and they gave me a BMR and it didn't match the online ones - I believe that one though as they had more info.

Might re-read the paper they gave you. Probably says RMR on it - Resting Metabolic Rate.

Totally estimated based on your LBM, Cunningham formula, or Nelson perhaps.

If they had BMR, then Katch-McArdle formula.

All based on studies of people at healthy weight alrdeay, and underestimated for overweight folks, because they only rely on the LBM being given energy, not the fat outside their avg LBM/Fat ratio, which actually is given energy.

Exact same type of formula.

But it is indeed a better formula, but also based on avg's, which you can effect.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I suggest to everyone getting the new rules of lifting for women...it explains all that...until then, one of my pals posted this topic on how to calculate all that...don't listen to what MFP tells you---it's very wrong and I don't believe the online calculators either.

heres the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538943-how-to-calculate-calorie-goals-according-to-nrolfw

hope that helps :)
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    This is just my uneducated opinion on eating below BMR, but I believe (unless someone can correct me :D) that if you're very overweight and sedentary it's more okay to eat below BMR IF you are eating your exercise calories, because your body will still be fueled despite the deficit by consuming it's own fat for energy. However, this really shouldn't be used as an excuse to go TOO far below BMR, and one should always take into account that a person needs a certain amount of calories just to ensure that they're getting proper nutrition. Not to mention your body will only burn so much fat before it starts digging into your muscle for fuel.
    OP, I doubt you should be eating below your BMR as it's unnecessary and risky, and you simply don't have the fat stores an obese/morbidly obese person does.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I believe the BMR is an average. Some may burn more, some less. BMR is the number of calories you need to break even. It takes into account your size and how active your daily life is. You can use this number to manipulate your calorie intake up or down to lose or gain weight. I don't believe it's an exact science because everyone is different.
  • heybales
    Options
    I believe the BMR is an average. Some may burn more, some less. BMR is the number of calories you need to break even. It takes into account your size and how active your daily life is. You can use this number to manipulate your calorie intake up or down to lose or gain weight. I don't believe it's an exact science because everyone is different.

BMR has nothing to do with activity - in fact it's sleeping.

RMR is awake but Resting Metabolic Rate.

You are thinking of Total Daily Energy Expenditure - TDEE, that include activity.

BMR has nothing to do with breaking even.
  • heybales
    Options
    This is just my uneducated opinion on eating below BMR, but I believe (unless someone can correct me :D) that if you're very overweight and sedentary it's more okay to eat below BMR IF you are eating your exercise calories, because your body will still be fueled despite the deficit by consuming it's own fat for energy. However, this really shouldn't be used as an excuse to go TOO far below BMR, and one should always take into account that a person needs a certain amount of calories just to ensure that they're getting proper nutrition. Not to mention your body will only burn so much fat before it starts digging into your muscle for fuel.
    OP, I doubt you should be eating below your BMR as it's unnecessary and risky, and you simply don't have the fat stores an obese/morbidly obese person does.

Why eating below BMR isn't so bad for obese, usually the BMR estimate is based on age/height/weight, and is inflated the more overweight you are.

Chances are they are not truly eating under in reality.

But as weight is loss, goal comes down, and the same amount of undercut is occurring, now they are going under by sizable amount.

Sure seems to effect many, who need to start eating more to start losing again.
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    But that theory totally contradicts patients of gastric bypass surgery. They eat as little as 400 calories per day in the first couple of weeks and drop weight at an amazing rate. They are surely eating well below their BMR. Confusing?
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I believe its a guesstimate, it wont be the same for everyone but it has worked for me so far. BMI is the one i don't agree with. I have a 37.5% BMI according to their calculations = Extremely Overweight

BMI is just a height/weight ratio. Completely ignores lean body mass. Which makes it fairly unhelpful. But it's easy to calculate, so insurance companies love it. Unfortunately.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    It says I burn 1,450 calories at a sedentary lifestyle, but I feel as if I burn waaaaay less than that.
    How can it take your weight and height or whatever and tell you accurately how many calories you burn daily?
    I really don't get how that works... lol

You might not be really doin anything, but ur body is. It takes energy for all ur insides to work, to blink, to do every little thing you do. There is a formula for it. It's determined by ur body weight. The less u weight, the less energy it takes.
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    But that theory totally contradicts patients of gastric bypass surgery. They eat as little as 400 calories per day in the first couple of weeks and drop weight at an amazing rate. They are surely eating well below their BMR. Confusing?

After surgery, they're going to be fairly inactive until they heal, so their TDEE will be closer to their BMR. Their fat stores will fuel the difference between their consumed calories and BMR to a certain extent, but my guess is that many people after gastric bypass do get headaches, dizziness, and all sorts of icky side-effects that come from eating too far below BMR. If your body isn't getting enough fuel, that's just what's going to happen.
  • bexconlin84
    Options
    OK lets clear this up - BMR at this level is a complete guideline, your looking at creating a calorie deficit to lose weight. BMR when assessed by a professional is acurate but like i said at this level is just a guideline/tool to aid you in losing weight. It completely depends on what you consider a sedentry, active ect lifestyle. This goes for the exercise you log too - just a guideline.

Rebecca Conlin
    Personal Trainer, Fitness Manager & Nutrition Coach
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Just an fyi, since none of you seem to have seen this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/600703-had-some-treats-today-will-i-gain-weight

The OP is a child who is troubled. NONE of this advice applies to her.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    how can you not "believe" in scientific fact? That's like I don't believe the sky is blue because it feels like it's more of a grey tone to me. :/ lol
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    i'm just gonna say it. OP, you are really dumb, for real.