BBQ time, ideas please

Options
So, the weather is heating up, and the bbq has come out of storage, only diff is that this year I am eating healthier, and I am clueless as to what to cook on it, I have a basic coal bbq, and we don't eat fish.

Ideas please,

Replies

• Lerayima
    Lerayima Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'd think along the lines of poultry such as turkey and chicken and go for tikka, tandoori or jerk marinades. You could buy the marinades or better still make them yourself. And either cook the chicken skinless or take it off before eating.
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Skinless, boneless chicken tenderloins. They're thinner so you don't have to burn the outside just to get the inside done. Chicken takes additional flavors well and by using a variety of sauces and rubs you can get an almost endless array of different flavors. Any manner of vegetables can be skewered and grilled also.
  • FearTheFool
    FearTheFool Posts: 29
    Options
    Veggie Kabobs are one of my favourite things on the BBQ. Fresh bell Peppers, Mushrooms, Small Onions, Cherry Tomatoes, courgettes! Om nom nom.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It's all about portion control, no sauces or heavy sodium rubs. Other then that anything you normally eat. Try grilling your veggies, they are so much better grilled.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Any kind of lean meat or fish you'd normally eat. I've been making my own marinades thi summer. 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tablespoon white vinegar and whatever spices Im in the mood for (per piece of meat/fish). Also I've been doing veggies as my sides. Yesterday I put a piece of tinfoil over the grill, put a cup of baby carrots on it along with some olive oil, pepper,salt and garlic powder. I let them cook ten minutes then rolled them over and let them cook another ten minutes. They were delicious!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    White over red over white (choose lean white meats over red meats, lean red meats over heavily-marbled or fatty red meats). That's not to say you should completely avoid red meat, of course, but if you're going to barbecue frequently a honkin' slab of fatty red meat every single time may not be a wise choice.

Portion sizes - a portion of meat is 4 ounces. Get inventive with the grill to fill the rest of it with interesting food - baked potato or sweet potato, vegetables - great grilling candidates.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Check out Hungry Girl's website/show, she has had an episode on BBQ foods
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Marinate some turkey tips ~ they are the bomb when grilled!!

Grill up some fresh seasonal veggies as a nice side dish :smile:
  • CherryPie606
    CherryPie606 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ooh interesting! Love sweet potatoes. Can anyone tell me the beat way to cook SP on the bbq? Thanks in advance : )
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Veggie kebabs - courgette / zucchini is awesome barbequed.
    Halloumi
    Chicken / turkey marinated in home made marinades
  • BartsGurl
    BartsGurl Posts: 19
    Options
    Get some zucchini and yellow squash, slice the long way to about 1/8 inch (if they are long ones, you might have to chop in half first). Brush with olive oil or spray with Pam, then sprinkle with WEBER'S ZESTY LEMON seasoning. Grill! The Weber's can be hard to find so if you can't find it, just use a combination of Montreal Steak Seasoning plus some lemon pepper seasoning. Grilled veggie perfection!
  • BartsGurl
    BartsGurl Posts: 19
    Options
    Ooh interesting! Love sweet potatoes. Can anyone tell me the beat way to cook SP on the bbq? Thanks in advance : )

Prick skins, wrap in foil and cook on med-to-med/low for 20-30 depending on size of potato. Rotate a couple of times while cooking. Easy peezy lemon squeezy!
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat - so I use quorn products on the BBQ

Veggie Kebabs as others have said, love sweet potato too but never thought to put that on the BBQ

Asparagus on the BBQ - bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt

I also put on - corn on the cob done in a lemon and lime, with garlic, chilli and herbs marinade

I make a salad up and homemade coleslaw

I also BBQ pineapple too
  • MariarR33
    MariarR33 Posts: 69
    Options
    Grilled veggies are great on the grill. I cut up some squash, zuccinni, and mushrooms, add some salt pepper, oregano, and a little EVOO, then grill for about 20 minutes. Asparagus works great too, as do many veggies. Also you can marinate chicken breast and grill that. Pork chops, yummy! I love using the grill. We actually use ours all year long!
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    corn on the cob for me please.. and vegetable kebabs ... as for meat I would treat myself to the nicest bit of fillet and leave all the other muck to the others :D
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    Grilled veggies are awesome! Me and my mom did grilled purple onions this past weekend...as well as shrimp and ribeyes. They were delicious. I have also cooked pork and chicken on the grill after doing a spice rub on the meat...all very good. You can cook just about any veggie on the grill...zuccini and squash are also pretty good...
  • MelHoneyRocks
    MelHoneyRocks Posts: 223
    Options
    Grill all your veggies, our favorite is grilled broccoli, just toss lightly with olive oil, salt and pepper.
    Any veggie will work. Grill all your veggies and then throw them in a salad. Tomatoes, asparagus, and even carrots.
    Try grilling artichokes as well. Split them in half, put in boiling water for 10 mins, then cool. Remove the fuzzy stuff and drizzle some balsamic dressing on them and let them marinate. Then grill on each side for 10-15 each. Promise you will love this.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Just posted this for grilled artichoke hearts....wow, they were delicious. We are growing them, so we have grocery bags full...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/612446-just-grilled-lemon-garlic-artichoke-hearts-crazy-good

enjoy!:)MinMin
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just buy leaner meats - lean ground beef for burgers, pork loin chops or tenderloin. We like to buy the leaner, cheaper cuts of beef, tenderize them, then grill them and some peppers and onion. Slice thinly and top with a little reduced fat cheese on a whole grain bun for a healthy cheesesteak sandwich. Chicken, of course. You can even do turkey breasts on the grill. Just buy one of those breast only that are made for roasting and chop it in half right down the backbone. Best to brine that first to make sure it doesn't dry out, though.

And buy a veggie basket. You can chop all your veggies and cook them on the grill as well. Many veggie work well on the grill without the basket, but it's much easier to turn or stir them with it. I love my veggie grill basket.
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    So, the weather is heating up, and the bbq has come out of storage, only diff is that this year I am eating healthier, and I am clueless as to what to cook on it, I have a basic coal bbq, and we don't eat fish.

Ideas please,

Try some lean chicken and smoke it :) or a lean pork loin :))) Mmmm!