Sticking to it

Options
I have used MyFitness pal, gone through multiple gym memberships and different exercise routines but find it so difficul to stick with any of it! I do have a very busy schedule and as much as I know how affective sticking with proper diet and exercise can be I always seem to drift from it. Does anyone have any tips to keep with it?

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Everyone has a busy schedule, it's not an excuse. You either want it or you don't.

Right?

That's my "tough love" response. :-)

In reality, I would suggest signing yourself up for something you have to be prepared for. A 5K walk or run, 10K, a cycling event, whatever your capabilities are. Sign up for something that is a few months out and then train for it.

Then.

Do that again.

And again.

And again.
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have used MyFitness pal, gone through multiple gym memberships and different exercise routines but find it so difficul to stick with any of it! I do have a very busy schedule and as much as I know how affective sticking with proper diet and exercise can be I always seem to drift from it. Does anyone have any tips to keep with it?

Eat foods you love, do exercise you enjoy. Otherwise it will never be sustainable in the long term.

If you love healthy foods, you're lucky, if not, you have to drastically cut the portion sizes of your junk food and keep trying healthy foods until you find some you like (they are out there, I promise).
  • MrsMichaud88
    Options
    Everyone has a busy schedule, it's not an excuse. You either want it or you don't.

Right?

That's my "tough love" response. :-)

In reality, I would suggest signing yourself up for something you have to be prepared for. A 5K walk or run, 10K, a cycling event, whatever your capabilities are. Sign up for something that is a few months out and then train for it.

Then.

Do that again.

And again.

And again.

I don't try to use a busy schedule as an excuse, but working 13 hrs a day is what I qualify as busy, but I do like the idea of finding local activities, that helps plan ahead and schedule time to train for and participate in an event.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

Eat foods you love, do exercise you enjoy. Otherwise it will never be sustainable in the long term.

If you love healthy foods, you're lucky, if not, you have to drastically cut the portion sizes of your junk food and keep trying healthy foods until you find some you like (they are out there, I promise).

Totally agree with this! Make small changes. You don't have to make a complete 180 from what you're doing to see changes. Make manageable changes and with some time those changes will be permanent and you'll want to continue to improve upon what you're doing.

Start small: walk 30 minutes a day for three days a week and track your food at least 5 days a week. Keep doing that until it becomes habit and then add on to it.

Best of luck!
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Depends on where your motivation is coming from. If you just have some abstract idea about how it's better for you to eat better or exercise you shouldn't expect much traction. But if you're Dr. tells you you NEED to get your weight or other blood markers down or you'll die well that's another story. Unless you're suicidal you'll stick to it.

Pick something that matters to you. For example you may notice that you sleep well only on days you exercise. If you like that feeling of waking up rested, being in a good mood and having energy all day, make it important in your mind. The followthrough shouldn't be such a big deal when there's concrete motivation and immediate payoff.
  • LittleLolita
    Options
    I typically work about 10-13 hours a day too (sometimes 6 days a week!) and I still manage to fit exercise into my schedule.

If I can't get up early to go for a jog before work, then I make sure to do my 30 Day Shred as soon as I get home before I do anything else. 20 minutes and I'm done!
    Or if I need to relax, I go for a brisk walk with my husband instead.
    Sometimes if I'm feeling really ambitious I will work out at my desk (I have a little set of weights and a resistance band at work)

As far as eating healthy and whatnot, I throw together a good lunch & snacks before I leave in the morning & log it all on MFP right away so that I don't have to worry about it later.

Easy-peasy (for me anyway!)