where does the fat go?

Options
Does it leave the body in BMs?
Does it burn up?
If it does burn up, which body part does the burning?
Just really curious as to what happens to it.

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    It is converted by the body into fuel which is burned through chemical means to provide energy to the cells.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/what-happens-when-fat-is-burned.html
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    BM's are only waste from the process of digesting what you recently ate.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    From my knowledge as you burn fat away the fat cells shrink. The fat is used for energy when on a calorie deficit and as it's burned away those cells shrink in size.
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    All your cells burn up the fat.

You pee it out as nitrogen and urea and other stuff.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    At night the fat fairy comes, takes it away and delivers it to McDonalds for the preparation of their burger patties.
  • wooze63
    wooze63 Posts: 34
    Options
    LOL
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Narnia.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    From my knowledge as you burn fat away the fat cells shrink. The fat is used for energy when on a calorie deficit and as it's burned away those cells shrink in size.

This is my understanding... you always have fat cells, it just matters how "big" they are. In other words it doesn't just disappear and then come back like a virus :wink:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Not this again!! Are we going to start talking about white bits in pee again?
  • amusgrave
    amusgrave Posts: 79
    Options
    I always thought you peed it out and thats why all the water is important so that everything is getting flushed out.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    It is converted by the body into fuel which is burned through chemical means to provide energy to the cells.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/what-happens-when-fat-is-burned.html

This...or it goes up your nose. Whatever happens first.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    According to my social circle it leaves me and goes to my friends...

Really, it's just a reduction of size of the fat cells. You don't gain or lose fat cells outside of surgical procedures, but if you think of it as a balloon powered airplane, like we had when I was a kid, you aren't far off.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    I knew the pee comments were coming:laugh:
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    At night the fat fairy comes, takes it away and delivers it to McDonalds for the preparation of their burger patties.

Lately, that fat fairy has been delivering to my place on her way to McDonalds.
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You actually exhale it.
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    Body needs extra energy in a deficit so it starts going into the energy in the fat cells, they then shrink :)
  • SlimSammy2012
    SlimSammy2012 Posts: 893
    Options

I Believe this to be true! ^^^^
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Mine goes to a brains trust that help develop the software behind MFP - fact!

Truthfully, it is like burning wood in a fire. Fat fuels the exercise fire. Some may come out on waste but the majority is used by the body to run itself.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    "...your body breaks down fats into glycerol and fatty acids in the process of lipolysis. The fatty acids can then be broken down directly to get energy, or can be used to make glucose through a multi-step process called gluconeogenesis. In gluconeogenesis, amino acids can also be used to make glucose."

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/fat-cell3.htm
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    down the toilet when you flush.... :laugh: