Phentermine Diet Pills

Options
2»

Replies

• LittleEva44
    Options
    Article #2 Coffee Nerves
    Description

While the occasional cup of tea can pick you up, too much of any caffeine-containing beverage can cause rapid or irregular heartbeat, jitters, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, gastrointestinal upset, and headaches. These symptoms are commonly known as coffee nerves.

"Caffeine is a stimulant, and if you have too much you overstimulate your system," explains Kathleen Zelman, RD, a nutritionist in Atlanta and a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.

How much caffeine is too much? That depends on your drinking habits. Since your body develops a tolerance to the amount of caffeine that you habitually guzzle, you won't get the jitters unless you swallow more than your usual amount, explains Suzette Evans, PhD, an assistant professor of psychiatry at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City who has studied caffeine's effect on the body.

"Someone who never drinks coffee can have an episode of coffee jitters after just one cup," adds Elizabeth Ward, RD, a nutritionist in Boston. "But heavy users, people who habitually have at least three cups, would have to drink more." (If you're drinking that many cups, coffee nerves or no, many experts say that you should try to cut back.)

Taking oral contraceptives makes your body metabolize caffeine more slowly, notes Dr. Evans. So cut back on your caffeine by approximately one-third if you start taking the Pill, she says.

Ditto if you've just quit smoking. Studies find that nonsmokers metabolize caffeine more slowly than smokers do, says Dr. Evans. Resource: Prevention magazine
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    Article #3

Coffee Confessions
    Find out if you should skip the java jolt

The Science: Caffeine boosts alertness, activates stress hormones, and elevates heart rate and blood pressure--none of which are very helpful when you're trying to get shut-eye. Some people are more sensitive than others to caffeine's effects, and one's sensitivity may be hereditary. And even if you've never had a problem with coffee, you may develop one over time; age-related changes in body composition can affect the speed at which caffeine is metabolized.

If you are sensitive to caffeine, take note that its half-life--the time required by your body to break down half of it--can be as long as 7 hours. In other words, if you were to have your last cup of coffee at 1 pm, a quarter of the caffeine it contained could still remain in your system as late as 3 am. In women, estrogen may delay caffeine metabolism even further. Between ovulation and menstruation, you take about 25% longer to eliminate it, and if you're on birth control pills, you take about twice the normal time. (Newer, low-estrogen pills may have less of an impact.)

What Works for Me: It took me until my 50s to finally admit that when I woke in the middle of the night, heart pounding, it may have had something to do with the mocha java that jump-started my day--only a few cups, I told myself, and never after 3 pm. So I cut out coffee, and slept blissfully--for a week or so. Then my same old broken sleep pattern reasserted itself, only I was doubly miserable, without sleep and without coffee to perk me up. So I tried tea. It has about half the caffeine content of coffee and contains an as-yet-unnamed substance that may help calm the stress system, according to a 2007 study published in Psychopharmacology. Black tea was too strong for me, so I turned to green, which has about one-third the caffeine content of black. These days I drink 2 to 3 cups of green tea just after I get up. I don't love it the way I did coffee, but I like that it perks me up in the morning without keeping me up at night. So if you find life with decaf coffee just too bleak, there are options. (continued)

The Science: Most sleep researchers advise keeping your bedroom cool, but not cold--the National Sleep Foundation recommends between 54 and 75°F. This is because a cool room makes it easier for your core body temperature to drop, which must occur for you to fall asleep. (Body temp reaches its lowest point about 4 hours after you nod off.) However, the thermostat is only part of the story: Proper air circulation and blankets that aren't too heavy--a big problem in hotel rooms--can also facilitate a drop in body temperature. A series of fascinating studies done in the past decade and a half by Swiss researchers Kurt Kräuchi and Anna Wirz-Justice, PhD, found an inverse relation between warm feet and cool body temp: When your feet and hands are warm, the blood vessels dilate, allowing heat to escape and body temperature to fall, initiating sleep. Conversely, when hands and feet are cold, the vessels constrict, retaining heat..which may keep you awake.

What Works for Me: I sleep in a cool room--much cooler than 75°F!--but I make sure my feet are warm. Wearing light socks makes it easier to resist the temptation to pile on too many blankets in the winter. A hot bath seems an odd way of cooling down, but it works for me; afterward, body temperature falls off rapidly, "guiding the brain into sleep mode," explains Stanley Coren, PhD, author of Sleep Thieves. He recommends going directly from bath to bed, while other experts recommend waiting up to 45 minutes. I find I need twice that. Because temperature decline signals the body that it's time for sleep, turning on an electric blanket for 10 to 15 minutes and then turning it off may have the same effect. Resource: Prevention Magazine.

Blessings! :flowerforyou:

Eva
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    Article #4
    Cut Caffeine, Curb Leaks
    Too much java can make your bladder jumpy too

By Teri Walsh , Teri Walsh is a freelance writer.

Sipping 4 or more cups of coffee daily--or getting a big caffeine jolt from other drinks or foods--may be a setup for urinary incontinence. In a study of 259 women, half with a type of incontinence called unstable bladder and half without, those who got the most caffeine were significantly more likely to have this embarrassing and annoying condition (Obstetrics & Gynecology, July 2000).

Why? It's no secret that caffeine is a diuretic that can prompt frequent trips to the ladies' room. But there's more: It can also cause contractions of the muscles associated with the bladder, leading to unexpected urine leaks, says lead study author Lily A. Arya, MD, assistant professor of urogynecology at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. Large amounts of caffeine over a long period of time can permanently damage the bladder muscle.

How to Prevent It Dr. Arya recommends limiting caffeine intake to 200 mg per day (the equivalent of 1½ 8-oz cups of coffee) or less. Less than 100 mg is even better. How to Treat It If you're experiencing the symptoms of unstable bladder, talk to your doctor. He should run a urine check to rule out the possibility of infection, which can cause similar symptoms, according to Dr. Arya. And eliminate caffeine, or at least limit yourself to 100 mg a day. source: Prevention magazine.

Ladies, the "tools" I give you are there (Prevention magazine) www.prevention.com Please use them and don't go by what "Eva" tells you. God gave us choices to make. It's your choice. Blessings!

Eva
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    used them
    loved them
    no negative comments
    also loved ephedra
    BUT i am trying again to lose the same weight
  • avamariah
    avamariah Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I definitely like the articles you have provided as evidence.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I went to a doctor for a short time) who prescribed phentermine. When my beloved long time OB/GYN found out his words were: "You can kill yourself if you want to..."
    So I went home & flushed them. They didn't seem to make much difference in my weight anyway.
    Please be careful.
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    I once had a moment of epiphany and compared diet pills to the doughnut tires we all have as a spare. They're meant to get us from a to b, where B is where you FIX THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM. Keep driving around on a doughnut and eventually you'll end up right where you were before. With a huge flat (spare) tire.

If diet pills were a safe, effective long term option, there a.) wouldn't be so many, and b.) would be MUCH more expensive. (not that they're cheap now)
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed me Phentermine when she saw I was serious about losing weight. She said that eating right and exercising were great, and that the pills would help shrink my stomach and make me less hungry, so therefore I'd eat less. She wouldn't prescribe it to me for longer than 6 months, and she also wouldn't renew the prescription over the phone, I had to come in each month so she could monitor me and hand me the prescription. If she thought I was slacking off and not doing my part, she wouldn't prescribe it for me anymore.

I lost weight on it (and have been ever since, even after quitting taking them), I never felt jittery and was never hungry...I'd have to remind myself to eat. :laugh: The only thing was it make my mouth dry as a desert!

So I think as long as you're smart about it, and you continue to do your part and you know it's not a lifetime fix...to each her own.
  • chicka200413
    Options
    I've also used these pills for about 3 months with my doctors supervision, lost 40 pounds. Loved it... But about 3 yrs later, I gained everything I lost plus 20 more pounds... The weight loss with the pills is almost toooo quick. I've also tried to go back on the pills, and now they do nothing for me. So I agree with others, it must have messed with my body. My mother also took these pills and lost a lot of weight... but now she is addicted... she is soo skinny but she is soooo scared she will gain back the weight so she continues to take them even though she is warned if she loses anymore weight her face will look "sunken" in.

I also think lots of doctors recommend the pills to quickly, when my doctor gave me the pills, I was only 20 years old and I weighed about 180. I'm sure I could have done it on my own but he didn't even give me a chance to try it on my own.
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    I definitely like the articles you have provided as evidence.

Thank you Ava (tee hee hee, you're AVA and I'm EVA...gotta love it! :heart: , thank you, thank you :happy: :happy: :happy: Check out my before and after photos I just added this morning :wink: As I have LOST 20 pounds. And just "think about it"....I did it WITHOUT diet pills (Eva doing a jig!!)

Again, ladies, I give you TIPS, suggestions, references, photos, stories, etc., Now, it's up to ya'll to do it!! I myself was sick and TIRED of my OWN excuses. Blessings!

Eva
  • avamariah
    avamariah Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Eva, you are so right. I had so many excuses that now I have run out. I know you know how good it felt to loose your first few pounds. It was really a great effort. I just had to program myself that I didn't have to have all the stuff I really wanted. I am use to going to breakfast almost every morning. I haven't been to breakfast at a restaurant in 9 days. Wow, my food at home taste even better. I have even replace a lot of fattening things in my cupboard with more nutritional items. My kids just love what I am doing. I can't wait to post my pix after I loose 20 lbs. This is going to be a lifetime commitment for me. 40 is the new 30.