How do you eat your veggies?

Options
I like most veggies cooked but there are only a few I can eat raw without dressing or anything. And I am trying to avoid dressing and dips because those just add a lot of extra sodium. So I need some ideas on how to make them taste better without adding a lot of extra calories or sodium!

Replies

• shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Spices galore! I never thought I liked veggies but YUM now I do!
    Lots of spices - cayenne, garlic salt or powder, onion salt or powder, lemon pepper, paprika, regular pepper.
    Usually we steam them.
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I steam my veggies ahead of time. When I want extra flavor then I will reheat them and throw them on a skillet with some liquid aminos (soy sauce alternative), chilli powder, and pepper.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've recently become obsessed with roasting veggies-- especially asparagus and broccoli. I just spray with a little olive oil and use a bunch of freshly ground salt & black pepper-- sodium isn't a huge concern for me, but I do sometimes forgo the salt and they're still delicious. I also sometimes squeeze some lemon or lime juice on top. Fantastic.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    On the grill!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually frozen Spinach cooked in the micro for 6 with a sprinkling of garlic on to bring out the zing. Same can apply to broccoli too.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    In stir frys, on the grill, raw, etc. Love veggies...Going to the Farmer's Market again this weekend to stock up. Bring on the eggplant!
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of vegetables so I put them in a green smoothie and it is great. 1/3 green vegetables, 1/3 fruit and 1/3 water.
    Currently I am doing Kale, Spinach, Watermelon, Pineapple and a squeeze of lemon!
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    insert vegetables into mouth and chew.

anyway
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Any way I can get them! ;o)
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    In my protein shakes, salads, combine them with quinoa
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    salt, pepper, garlic powder, spritz of olive oil
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Most of the time we just roast them with a little olive oil and salt.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I like to steam mine or sautee them. I also like to toss in non-salt spices for extra flavor. Good stuff.
  • LaSweetMini
    LaSweetMini Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Steamed with lemon juice and pepper
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I like most veggies cooked but there are only a few I can eat raw without dressing or anything. And I am trying to avoid dressing and dips because those just add a lot of extra sodium. So I need some ideas on how to make them taste better without adding a lot of extra calories or sodium!

Why can't you eat the others raw?

I eat them all raw or steamed.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
  • bleumanchu
    bleumanchu Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been roasting tons of veggies in the oven, typically without any oil, and sprinkled with whatever spice suits my current whims--pepper, cayenne, curry powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, chili powder, etc. Zucchini, acorn squash, brussel sprouts, and asparagus get this treatment with varying degrees of spice. Spinach and broccoli I eat raw or lightly steamed. Kale I either steam or chop very finely and eat raw with a bit of lemon juice and some of the above spices.
  • simonek91
    simonek91 Posts: 18
    Options
    I really love mine raw (especially salads). A great way to add flavor without many calories is by adding a little lemon juice, pepper (and salt, if you must) and a dash of lite olive oil.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    usually with a fork when i'm feeling civilized

pop those bad boys on the grill with some spices and garlic waaaapooosh!