How do you eat your veggies?

Options

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    usually with a fork. some with a spoon. some with my hands.
  • theberg
    theberg Posts: 80
    Options
    I eat most of mine raw in the form of a salad. I hate steamed veggies though. Most of the time, if I cook them, they will be oven roasted with a bit of olive oil.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Try hummus -- it's delish!!
  • missgabriella22
    Options
    I use very little olive oil, and garlic to sautee them. Great with broccoli and brussel sprouts!
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Most veggies, if I like them in any way, I like to eat raw and fresh. Sometimes with the sparest bit of dressing. I've been eating approximately a cup of broccoli, ten cherry tomatoes, and a dozen baby carrots with lunch lately, and for all of that use less than a tablespoon of dressing to dip. When you limit it to that little, the impact is not so much.

DH's preferred way of eating veggies, though, is roasting with spices, as others have mentioned. His new favorite thing is roasted asparagus with a tiny bit of parmesan cheese and garlic salt.

Veggies I don't like I'll mince and put into stews and soups and casseroles, where I won't taste them or get the texture, but they help to bulk up the dish with something that's not fatty or carb loaded.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I eat most veggies raw... I like the crunch. If i do cook them, they are usually steamed with a little garlic.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    usually with a fork when i'm feeling civilized

pop those bad boys on the grill with some spices and garlic waaaapooosh!

Don't lie. I know you don't own a fork.
  • freezingmoon
    Options
    there's nothing wrong with adding condiments to your raw veggies! just try for options like lime juice/lemon juice, spices, mustard, and vinegars. here are some recipes i make since i've been on/off raw vegan

SALSA FRESCA: raw tomatoes, onions, chilis all diced, lime juice and cilantro. sometimes i add diced mango or pineapple

COLE SLAW: raw cabbage and carrots, with vinegar and very light mayo and mustard

BEET SALAD: raw red and golden beets with walnuts, light vinaigrette

RAW BRUSCHETTA: make your favorite bruschetta recipe (mine is diced tomatoes, onions, oregano, s&p) and instead of putting it on toast lay it on raw cucumber slices. it's delicious and super healthy.
  • kimberc
    kimberc Posts: 7
    Options
    This is exactly what I was going to post! I have discovered roasted vegetables are great! I especially love carrots, green beans, asparagus and even broccoli this way (olive oil, salt, pepper, or lemon pepper). They are delicious!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Ms. Dash is a vegetables best friend!! I steam mine or grill them!! :)
  • freezingmoon
    Options
    and don't forget the easiest way to get raw veggies..... throw them in a smoothie! i like beets and kale with banana and pineapple. i throw kale in all of my smoothies! it's the highest density of nutrients available to you.
  • afigueroa_pr
    afigueroa_pr Posts: 344
    Options
    Spices galore! I never thought I liked veggies but YUM now I do!
    Lots of spices - cayenne, garlic salt or powder, onion salt or powder, lemon pepper, paprika, regular pepper.
    Usually we steam them.

^^^
    This!!
    I also steam them very well so they're mushy and not hard to chew.
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I sometimes sprinkle a little grated parmesan cheese sparingly on my steamed broccoli.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    some cooked...some raw and with dip!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Make our own dip with greek yogurt and spices.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I use a pizza stone in the oven, 425-450, about 20 minutes or so. Cauliflower & garlic is amazing like this! A little parmesan sprinkled on top...
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    Raw! Every day I have a spinach salad with cuc, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, tomato, mushrooms, and grilled chicken.

For dinner we typically do a steamed or microwaved veggie and a salad with our protein.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I use a pizza stone in the oven, 425-450, about 20 minutes or so. Cauliflower & garlic is amazing like this! A little parmesan sprinkled on top...

I meant to quote the lady that said she loved roasting them. ;)
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    dips and other condiments only add a lot of sodium if you let them!!! I love dipping raw veg into tsatsiki:

1 pot greek yogurt (150g/5oz)
    3 garlic cloves pureed/crushed
    1/4 cucumber, grated and as much water squeezed out as you can (can be done by adding salt and letting the salt take the water out, then squeeze for your life, but that would just add to the salt/sodium intake!)
    about a tbsp of chopped mint
    paprika powder
    freshly ground pepper (white if you have, black also works!)

thoroughly mix all of the above and enjoy your veggies with it!

Otherwise, yes, roast them. And roast them with spray oil (less cals to cover them!) and add thyme or rosemary, that's delish!!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    drizzle with a small amount of olive oil add a little spice, lemon pepper can somewhat replace salt and bake or grill.
    make a healthy dip out of yogurt and some spices..