Any tips to quit, or limit smoking?

Options
I've been a smoker for 12 years, and quite frankly despite the health worries associated with it, and a generalized regret of picking up the habit, i love smoking. Nothing is more realaxing after a long stressful day then a leisure smoke, other then excersing ofcourse!

Does anyone have any home remedies to quit, or limit smoking?

Don't like the gum, hate taking pills, not trying to substitute.

Any other MFP who excersise reguarly who smoke?

Replies

• Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You are going to have a hard time quitting if you "love it".
  • drakonal
    drakonal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well i also love oxygen, and having plenty of it when i work out lol.

Truth be told i feel like i'm more addicted to the habits then the nicotine itself.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. I like to smoke, I like to drink. I ain't giving up my wine and that makes it even harder to give up my smokes. Sigh.

If you get an answer, let me know.
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. I like to smoke, I like to drink. I ain't giving up my wine and that makes it even harder to give up my smokes. Sigh.

I quit smoking cold turkey on a Friday was partying on Saturday. That was (9) years ago. If you REALLY want to quit you will.

Gums, the patch, hypnotism... none of that crap will work unless you TRULY, HONESTLY, desire to quit.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I quit using an electronic cigarette last year. It was very easy. This brand is very good http://www.volcanoecigs.com/
  • stephkyp
    stephkyp Posts: 12
    Options
    okay you smokers - i quit after smoking for over 40 years!!! i loved it!!!!!! one day i ooked at my grandchildren and my kids and thought 'HOW COULD I HURT THEM??" it wasn't about me - it was about them!! i never had another one - it's been 2 years!! JUST DO IT! the first week is hard - i sucked on tootsie roll pops alllll day - then i chewed regular gum for another week or two - i was crabby and miserable for three weeks straight but. . . . then i started feeling better and better and richer and better and richer !!!!
    do it - you will be so happy and proud of yourself!!!!
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I read Allan Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking". I borrowed it from the library so iI was only out a leisurely afternoon of reading if it didn't work.

After many attempts to quit and feeling like I was detoxing from a street drug, I was amazed at how easy it actually was with that book.

But I really wanted to be free from the addiction too. I was sick of funding some rich dude's yacht somewhere while I was always broke.

Plus, I had gotten to the point where I was coughing up ugly phlegm, and I promised myself I would quit when that happened.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Gums, the patch, hypnotism... not of that crap will work unless you TRULY, HONESTLY, desire to quit.
    [/quote]
    This is the total truth.... I have been a non smoker for the past 16.5 months, I used Chantix to help me get through the first 6 months and since it works on the brain and does not give you any nicotine your body starts to heal itself sooner. One of the reasons that you love to smoke and that you find it relaxing, even though it is not (just check your blood pressure), is because it is one of the only ways your body is currently able to emit endorphins....smoking and exercising. January 10th, 2011 I was smoking my third cigarette for the day, on the porch in the winter with a chest cold.....three drags, shook my head, put it out and have not smoked since - but then again for the first time I really wanted to stop. It takes three months nicotine free to get the endorphin system to start to function again.....good luck if you decide to try to quit. BTW - I smoked for 35 years.......
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Gums, the patch, hypnotism... none of that crap will work unless you TRULY, HONESTLY, desire to quit.

So true.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

I quit smoking cold turkey on a Friday was partying on Saturday. That was (9) years ago. If you REALLY want to quit you will.

I agree. When I quit 10+ yrs ago I would just tell myself to wait 5 minutes when I had a craving for one. In 5 minutes I usually had forgotten it. If not, I told myself to wait 5 more minutes. The key is willpower to not give into the cravings. They eventually become less and less till they almost go away. I still have a craving once or twice a year. I have given in and only 2-3 puffs into it I'm done because it tastes horrible and makes me ill. I haven't given in for a very long time now because I remember how awful it tasted and how ill it made me the last time I gave in. Good luck!!!
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Of course you love smoking, you're an addict lol I loved it too. I smoked for probably about 6 years at about a pack and a half a day. And I probably would have done it longer had not two different people in my family gotten lung cancer and emphysema around that time. One person made it and changed their life, the other didn't and I watched her die a horrible painful death that was painful for everyone around her.

I quit smoking about 6 months later. I put a date far out on the calendar and just did it. It took about three days before I felt normal again. After that it was cake. When I smell it now, I feel like barfing.

And yes, I did exercise when I smoked. Not too easy while you’re hacking crap out of your lungs the whole time though. Didn’t give me that great healthy feeling.

You can do this.
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    I switched to an electronic cigarette. The manual 510 is a good starter one and tasty vapor has the best e liquid
  • rmarie1017
    rmarie1017 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I smoked for about 10 years and quit on January 22nd this year. I also loved smoking, but I knew I should quit. The patch worked well for me. I pretty much told myself that if I missed smoking that much, I could always go back (which I haven't). I wanted to at least give being a non-smoker a real chance. Although I loved to smoke, I do not regret my decision to quit one bit. It hasn't been easy, but it's the best thing I have ever done for myself. I also found www.quitnet.com to be very helpful, particularly in the first month or so. You will quit when you are ready. Feel free to add me if you need some support.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I've been a smoker for 12 years, and quite frankly despite the health worries associated with it, and a generalized regret of picking up the habit, i love smoking. Nothing is more realaxing after a long stressful day then a leisure smoke, other then excersing ofcourse!

I gave up by starting to use those patches and smoked 2-3 a day, then eventually none whilst using patch for 2 weeks, then stopped using the patch all together. i don't know or believe if the patch had any real effect, but i do know that if you can get by week one smoke free, you are home and dry. good luck..it's one of the best decisions you will ever make :-)
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    there is only one way to quit. make the decision to do it. and do it.

it's not easy.

but if i did it (and I did) so can you!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Everybody is different man. I started smoking when I was like 11-12 or something. I just kept trying again and again. I couldn't limit smoking, I had to go cold-turkey this much I knew but I was always surrounded by smokers and cigs.

Only tip I can offer is, keep on trying. If you fail, shrug it off and try again. The gimick tricks didn't worked for me. I had to try to figure out the triggers that made me quit (stress being the biggest) and once I realized that, I had to keep reminding myself that smoking won't eliminate the stress and that helped alot
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am not a smoker but my dad was. One day, after over 20 years of being a smoker, he just quit. Cold turkey. He never looked back.
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker for 20 years and am now heading into my 5th month as a non-smoker. I LOVE it!!! Several people have already said this but, it is worth repeating, you really have to want to quit in order to be successful.

I found that the habit was more of the "addiction" than the nicotine was so I started changing my smoking habits several months prior to my quit date. First month, stopped smoking in my home; next, I cut out a smoke break during the work day, then, quit smoking in my car then, cut out one morning smoke. In addition, I started working out more as I was feeling so much better which kept me from gaining any weight. A really great site for tips and support from other quitters is: http://www.becomeanex.org

I wish you strength and success in your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • jenlyn37
    jenlyn37 Posts: 13
    Options
    i smoked for 20 years and i LOVED my cigarettes! i would plan my day around if i could smoke or not! 13 years ago i lost my mother to lung cancer and yet i stil continued to smoke! one year and 8 months ago i quit cold turkey and never looked back. i was just ready to do it. you have to be ready to quit or you will not. but if u r truely ready.....you can do it!!!!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, you have to want to quit ... like really, really want to quit. Otherwise, you'll try and try and try. I quit 10-25 times before I was officially done with smoking.

Cold turkey is probably the easiest and cheapest solution. Nicotine gum sounds gross. The patch doesn't seem effective to me. I've heard horror stories about Chantix and other quit smoking pills.

Exercise is your best friend when you quit because it takes your mind off of it. Every time the craving was intense, I would run or ride my bike. Try to stay away from heavy drinking. Change up your morning routine and all other moments when you felt like smoking.

Try to eat healthy in the process.