Any tips to quit, or limit smoking?

Options

Replies

• spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking both times I was pregnant during the pregnancy to shortly after the babies were born (couldn't handle the stress and lack of sleep I guess). I quit both times cold turkey because I knew how important it was for the babies health ( never smoked around them once they were born either). Then I quit for real in the summer of 2007 again cold turkey. Most of my friends don't smoke and the family I am around doesn't smoke and it was always a hassle when I was with them to get a quick smoke in and the cost of cigarettes were ridiculous (although not as bad as they are now). I quit using the dum dum suckers. You can get a huge bad really cheap and sucking on them with the stick hanging out of my mouth helped quit a bit. Had to take more bubble baths and punch more walls though to eliminate the stress. I am proud to say that I have only had 2 cigarettes since that summer of 2007 and that was because of a huge ordeal were someone almost got thrown out of a window and we were on the 21st floor during an executive meeting I was in.

suckers are junk food and sugar so they might not be the best means for this site but they are what I used and they did the trick.
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I read Allan Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking". I borrowed it from the library so iI was only out a leisurely afternoon of reading if it didn't work.

After many attempts to quit and feeling like I was detoxing from a street drug, I was amazed at how easy it actually was with that book.

But I really wanted to be free from the addiction too. I was sick of funding some rich dude's yacht somewhere while I was always broke.

Plus, I had gotten to the point where I was coughing up ugly phlegm, and I promised myself I would quit when that happened.

I second that book. It's a miracle. You have to want it though. I quit in January cold turkey after 17 years of a pack a day. Haven't had a ciggy since and I don't want one!! Try the book....

Also, the other thing that helps is my iPhone app called MyLastCigarette. Trust me it works.

Good luck!
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I smoked for over 35 years. I really loved it. I still remember it with fondness. I know that sounds so stupid, just typing it. But, it's true. I loved the social aspect of it, I liked that it could calm me. I quit because I thought I had COPD! Lesson #1...Do not self-diagnose. I finally went to the doctor and found that I had asthma, nothing worse. And, for some reason, my lungs looked great, he couldn't even believe I was a regular smoker. Good genetics, I guess.

I had tried many things to quit, for many years. Nothing worked. Why? Because I loved smoking. I did not want to quit. Everyone else wanted me to quit and that just did not make it happen. When I finally decided that I wanted to stop, because I was worried it might actually kill me, I did. I did not take any chances though, I used Chantix. I had so many failures with everything else, I didn't want to take a chance on them again. Chantix worked wonders for me. I have not picked up a cigarette in almost 5 years.

I have friends and family that have had great results with the electronic cigarette too. Good luck with whatever you choose. If you want to quit, you will.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    I smoked for a couple decades.

One day fifteen years ago, I realized that it was controlling me. I was in its grip and it would kill me. Yes, I knew all that before - and had made a couple half-a$sed efforts before . But it clicked this time.

You said it's more the habit. The psychological part never occured to me before I really decided to stop. The first week was tough, I had to deal with my emotions. Bored? Can't smoke. Frustrated? Too bad, cigarette. Angry? I guess deep breathing will have to do.

Really, it is more about the breathing if you are using it as a relaxant after work or whenever. Smoking causes you to regulate your breathing, and to breathe deeply. Just do the deep breathing. Without the smoking :smile:
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the other posts so forgive me if I repeat anyone. I too smoked for 12 years (I'm only 28, I started early!) and I am now on my 3rd round of chantix. It is the only thing that has been able to stop me from going out and buying another pack when I want a cigarette. The problem is, as soon as I quit taking the Chantix, I pick up smoking right where I left off. I love smoking too, and I seriously miss it. What I don't miss is the smell, how crappy it made me feel all the time, the incovenience, the cost and how it limited my work outs, and yet I would still smoke if the Chantix wasn't stopping me. Everyone says "you have to want it!" ok, but what about those of us who don't really want to quit but know we need to??
  • emren
    emren Posts: 4
    Options
    I used to smoke for 25 years as chain smoker for 3-4 packs a day. Quittig is even easy compared to the difficulty of not starting again. The big trick is "not even a puff" policy after quitting. That sure works. Best luck with quitting smoking
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I was a heavy smoker for about 10 years, then an on and off smoker for another 5. I used Chantix and quit for about a year but then started up again. The only thing that has really worked for me was Alan Car's book "the Easy Way to Stop Smoking". You smoke while you read it and quit "cold turkey" when you're done. It took me a REALLY long time to read that book for that reason. I have not had a single cigarette for over a year and haven't really been that tempted to smoke one (and most of my friends smoke, especially when we drink). I was very ready to quit though... as much as I enjoyed the action, I hated the hold it had on me and how I smelled after. The book really just helps you see smoking from a different perspective, but only if you're open to it in the first place.
    May be worth a try anyway
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    While I don't like to promote the use of drugs for anything, Wellbutrin is often used for smoking cessation. I quit 'cold turkey,' like a lot of these folks. I know quite a few people who use electronic cigarettes, and that seems to help them. But yeah, I think the underlying message is that you really have to want it. It's a struggle (just like weight loss), but it is doable.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I smoked for almost 20 years. What finally helped me quit was kind of a home-grown bit of psycho-babble that I invented for myself. First, I got rid of the cigarettes. Then, whenever I wanted one, I'd sit and fantasize about the whole process of getting myself a pack and smoking -- I'd think about where I'd go get my smokes (would I drive there? would I walk?), what kind I'd get (something expensive and imported? something light? maybe filterless?), where I'd smoke (in the car? on my back stoop?), etc. Often I could stretch out this thinking thing for quite a while -- and almost always long enough to get me over the immediate craving. Sometimes I would put a task in between my fantasy and the trip to the store. Like I'd tell myself, "Okay, that's a good plan. I'll just do the dishes first, then I'll go cig shopping." Again, that lag time could get me over the hump.

Yes, as we used to say in college, it was a giant mind-f***, but it worked. Stopped cold-turkey.

Oh, I also (temporarily) quit drinking alcohol and coffee at the same time, both of which actually felt harder because those things aren't restricted like smoking is.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is that you really have to want to give up.

I was a smoker for 15 years, at my most smoking 40 a day. I quit nearly 2 years ago using Champix; I had a few drags off a *kitten* in the first 3 months after 'stopping' but none since, and while I do still get a craving occasionally, after the first few whiffs of smoke, I'm completey nauseated.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I quit, cold turkey, a little over 20 years ago after smoking a pack a day for close to 20 years. I don't know why but it was easy for me, I just decided to quit and quit. (Of course food tasted so much better & I put on some weight but that poses a smaller health risk than smoking)

I also understand that nicotine is one of the most addictive substances around and that it exceedingly difficult for some people to quit. I never had to use any of the gum or electronic cigarettes but they are useful tools to ease the transition to being a non-smoker, you might also want to talk to your doctor or check with your local lung association for suggestions.

Best of luck.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    If you REALLY want to quit: Allan Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking

They also have it audio style.

general idea - cold turkey, 2-3 days of being a little edgy, then you are past physical withdrawal (but it's not like heroine withdrawl it's more like caffeine withdrawal) Then you just have to keep saying no when you get an urge (usually only last 5 min, even shorter if you can distract yourself). It really is that simple. You don't need mind altering medication, therapy, electronic sticks, gums, patches!!!!
  • LrdTwitchyMcChin
    Options
    Same boat here. I like to smoke, I like to drink. I ain't giving up my wine and that makes it even harder to give up my smokes. Sigh.

If you get an answer, let me know.

I quit smoking cold turkey on a Friday was partying on Saturday. That was (9) years ago. If you REALLY want to quit you will.

Gums, the patch, hypnotism... none of that crap will work unless you TRULY, HONESTLY, desire to quit.

I too quit cold turkey. Addictions are more mental than anything. It's mind over matter. Everytime you get the urge to smoke, do something else you enjoy instead. When I go to the bar, now instead of going to smoke with everyone, I use that time to pick music on the jukebox instead. Keeps my mind focused on something else. I also think of how smoking makes me smell and feel (especially when drinking. Hangovers are the worst then!). I agree that you have to truly want to quit before you can ever quit. I would recommend that you don't just "cut back." If you're going to do this, then QUIT! :) Good luck with this! I know it's hard.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Gums, the patch, hypnotism... none of that crap will work unless you TRULY, HONESTLY, desire to quit.

Yep. Chain smoked on Thursday, woke up on Friday and realized three hours later that I hadn't smoked yet. Haven't smoked since. That was five years ago. You have to want it, more than you want anything else. Literally, ANYTHING ELSE IN YOUR LIFE EVER. Otherwise this will just become one more time that you've attempted to quit.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    there is only one way to quit. make the decision to do it. and do it.

it's not easy.

but if i did it (and I did) so can you!

This.

I quit in August of last year, and I thought I loved it too. I still miss it - but I surely don't regret it. Oh- and I had smoked for a little over 30 years.

You can do it - you just have to decide to!!
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I just quite smoking a few weeks ago :) Cold turkey after on and off for about 6 years.

Honestly, just got really into this MFP thing.. and instead of having a smoke on my breaks, I walk around the building once :) I kinda forgot all about smoking until a week without a smoke..
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey is what worked for me. Anything else seemed like you were just prolonging the agony and slowly keeping the addiction going.

I loved smoking as well, I still miss it and I still wish I could have just one puff - but JUST one puff won't work for me and I think I will enjoy the healthy years I added to my life more than I loved to smoke.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    After smoking for 30 years and quitting cold turkey...

WANT to Quit
    CHOOSE to Quit
    ACT upon the Choice
    Succeed.

Nicotine is out of your system in 3 days. Your "Habit" needs to be filled with other activities.
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you stop bying the smokes, then you will drastically reduce your smoking habit.
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I use an e cig (electronic cigarette) now. It helps quite a bit. The liquid has niccotine in it which is no worse than having your daily cup of coffee. I used to smoke a pack a day now I dont smoke at all and hardly need my e cig, and when I do use it, its only for the habit of having something to puff on because i weaned myself off of the niccotine liquid and now just use flavored liquid with 0% niccotine. Hope this helps and if you are interested I got my kit at www.aquavaporcig.com. They are a bit pricey to start, but no more than what you would spend on a carton of cigarettes.