Coffee Suggestions

Options
2»

Replies

• mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Torani sugar free syrups and zero calories creamer plus 0 calorie sweetner!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on kicking the other vices! I agree, brewing good coffee and fresh ground is best. However, you can make some "gourmet coffee" by adding some cinnamon or vanilla to the grounds before brewing. I also have added orange peel with the cinnamon and it is great! I also like the milk/cream in my coffee so I add 1% milk. Lastly, I have added 1% chocolate milk, which is a better alternative to the coffee creamers. Hope these tips help!

Bahaha, this is more or less what I said, but you beat me to it!!
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I use semi skimmed milk (1.7% fat milk) and a little cinnamon in mine, if I want it sweet (for me) I add half a teaspoon of honey, I have also been known to add in a teaspoon of coco from time to time or take black if it's a good coffee. I've never had (or even heard of) liquid coffee mate only the powder and then I only use it if I've no other option; it has a funny after taste. At the end of the day I don't think a few cups (or mugs :-D) of really tasty coffee that you love will destroy your efforts, like others have said everything in moderation.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    How many calories are we talking about, here?

If your preferred creamer already has some sugar, lose the Stevia and see if you can get used to it a little less sweet. Eventually, you might find that you like non-creamer flavors, then just coffee.

I started drinking coffee with cream and sugar, then switched for a while to adding a touch of cinnamon, then found that I suddenly didn't need the "sweet" and just enjoyed the flavor of black coffee. I do like the flavored coffees (the ones that have flavoring in the grounds) occasionally, but I usually just drink it black now.

But, seriously, it's also OK to keep it if it fits in your budget. You're making a lifestyle change here, but you don't have to give up EVERYTHING.
  • MrsYellowDress
    Options
    try using almond milk, agave nectar and natural spices like, cinnamon, nutmeg,pumpkin spice or even allspice. Sounds crazy but it works. I have to watch my sugar intake so i had to switch,, most days i just drink it with the almond milk only. Hope this helps.
  • brm12450
    brm12450 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use my keurig all the time. Flavored coffee--I'm drinking coconut now. Add a little lowfat half and half (not full or non)(2T) and sweetener that comes in the bottle (all sorts of flavor). Each time you drink coffee cut back a little on the sweetener and eventually/hopefully you will be able to drink w/o sweetener. Green Mt has iced coffee k cups.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Some very good ideas! And i definitely don't want to give up everything. I like a cupcake now and again and such. I don't diet, i've just changed my way of eating. I just am trying to eat a little shall we say "cleaner" so i thought maybe a more natural way for the coffee may be best. I definitely will try these ideas though, i will try anything once :) i love how many different things people use, keep them coming!
  • chayleah
    chayleah Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have recently started mixing black coffee with my protein powder. The protein powder adds enough sweetness and creaminess that I don't need anything else & it helps me reach my protein goals for the day.
  • bluenote37
    bluenote37 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Vanilla flavor soy milk in replacement french vanilla creamer:) you barely notice the difference
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I am fighting the coffee battle here.

I own a french press, coffee maker and a tassimo machine.

Ideally I like cream and sugar in my coffee.

For some reason I started to hate adding dairy to my coffee (don't ask, I don't know why).

So I switched to coffee whitener and sugar. I got really addicted to it and it is by far my favorite.

I hate the chemicals in whitener and not a fan of sugar in general....well I am a fan but you get my point.

I switched to just whitener and I slowly reduce the amount until it is borderline tolerable/enjoyable.

I can now drink a black coffee here and there but it is by no means my top choice.

Personally I would hang on to something you enjoy and just be mindful of how much you are consuming. In the end I am sure we absorb more toxins from our environment than we do from the occasional coffee the way we like it. I know it isn't the same as calories but that is how I try to justify it. Today I put whitener in my coffee with a clear conscience.

I have tried stevia, almond milk, brown sugar, cocoa, agave nectar, coconut milk, soya milk etc... They all taste terrible imo.

Good luck
  • BustyTransformer
    BustyTransformer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just throw in instant coffee into my morning whey shake. It tastes great and It's like a punch in the face ( in a good way).
  • gypsykitchen
    Options
    keep your vice.

cut Calories some place else, jog a few flights of stairs!

dont have to give up EVERYTHING you love in life!

This. Yes. Seconded.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein powder as my creamer with sugar free Toriani syrup (cinnamon brown sugar is my fav) and sometimes I add a splash of unsweetened soy or almond milk.....tastes like a cinnamon dulce latte from star bucks, is low in sugar/fat and has lots of protein.
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    I haven't given up my coffee and Creamer...and the good news is...I don't have to!

Switch to the powdered form of sweetened cream and you will save yourself a ton of calories. I use the Caramel Macchiato and it's only 60 calories for 4 tsps.

Glad you switched to Stevia....(I have a personal reason for hating Artificial Sweeteners - cause muscle soreness and dizziness among many other things)

Good luck! and remember a little sugar isn't going to kill you. Balance and moderation and you are fine! I have kept my cream and still lost 27 lbs in 12 weeks~!
  • taralc005
    taralc005 Posts: 8
    Options
    soy milk....I use the original unsweetened kind but you could always use vanilla or chocolate to give it some extra flavor!
  • taralc005
    Options
    I know somebody who puts 100% pure maple syrup in coffee to sweeten it
  • taralc005
    Options
    or sometimes I even put coconut milk :)
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Keurig Coffee makers make the BEST coffee at home. Black Tiger from Coffee People (a coffee company from Oregon) and also Coconut Mocha by Coffee People...YUMMM!