Morning workout motivation?

Options
Does anyone else have trouble working out in the morning? I find that I can easily go to the gym after work, and work out hard, but as much as I say I'd like to get up and do it first thing in the AM, I just can't get out of bed an extra hour early.

Do any morning workout people have any tips on what they do in the morning to get it done?? I enjoy my evening workouts, but I'd love to join the early birds and get it out of the way!

Replies

• Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Bump..........I feel exactly the same.
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Just think....If you get it out of the way in the morning then your done for the day! Plus ENERGY!!!!!
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Just think....If you get it out of the way in the morning then your done for the day! Plus ENERGY!!!!!

I have NEVER been able to get up early to go workout.... ever. I will get up early for two things: horses and planes :laugh: I've made plans more than once to go workout or try to do something before school/work and the alarm goes off and I just can't do it. Even going to bed early doesn't work. It's much easier for me to stay up late than get up early.
  • marisa0918
    Options
    I am NOT a morning person at all, but the morning is the only time I can work out.......sooo I move my alarm clock away from my bed so that I have to get up to go hit snooze and then once I am out of bed there is no point in laying back down.
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a morning person at all, but the morning is the only time I can work out.......sooo I move my alarm clock away from my bed so that I have to get up to go hit snooze and then once I am out of bed there is no point in laying back down.

In our house we have a trio of alarms (2 cell phones and a standard alarm clock) that are all placed in different parts of the room. Seems to work. Annoying but effective. :laugh:
  • nicole_a
    Options
    I love this idea!! I'm going to try it for sure.
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    I can't do anything in the morning. I can barely get ready for work. I am such a night person, that I hem clothes, do taxes, apply for mortgages, etc., all in the middle of the night.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I like to get fired up with a cup of black coffee so I turn that on to automatic and when I can smell it, it's time to get up! Works for me anyway :)
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    I am a morning person, however I find it difficult to get out of bed at 5am to workout. Sometimes I will sleep in my workout clothes, put my shoes right next to the bed and a note that says "WORKOUT!" Amazingly it doesn't work every time, but it has helped!! :happy:
  • allisontaylor
    Options
    OK, so at first I started taking a weightlifting class at 5:45am - and now I teach it. I LOVE getting my workout done in the morning. How I do it: the night before, I lay out my outfit (I know others that sleep in theirs), I fill a water jug and put it in the fridge, when the alarm goes off, I don't even consider that there is another option. I do this twice a week. At first, it was definitely hard - and what I tell others is to try if for a full month (religiously) before giving up. After a month or so, your body will adjust and you should start looking forward to it - you'll see how nice it is to have your evenings back! Plus, at first, you might really want to consider the food option. When I started going early, I found that I was absolutely starving after working out. So, I starting putting a banana, a Clif Bar, or a pre-measured container of nuts and dried fruit in the car the night before - so it would be all ready for me in the morning to eat directly after exercise. Try it consistently for a little while - and if you still absolutely hate it, then find a time that you don't dread. Mornings aren't for everyone, and that's perfectly OK. Now I find that I have much more energy and can push much harder in the morning than in the evening after a full days work. Good luck!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm totally not a morning person. Now that I started running in the evenings, there's just no way I can get up early enough. My love affair with the snooze button will be the death of me.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing with laying out clothes, water, iPod, etc. I also make sure I have my lunch/son's lunch ready to go in the morning so I don't have to take time doing that. But the biggest motivator is when I know I won't have time after work to do it - running kids, meetings, etc. When it's my only option, I don't have a problem. When I do have the option of doing something later in the day I usually put it off.

Another thing that helps me is that I have a class I really like at 5:45 2 mornings a week.

I also really like not having to shower twice a day and having that time at night to hang out with my boys.