Good article on set point weight

Options
bassman92
bassman92 Posts: 273 Member
The reason you keep rebounding is something called set-point weight: This is the weight that your hormones and metabolism try to maintain—typically plus or minus about 10 pounds—in order to regulate fat stores. Starvation or dieting, which often look the same to your body, conserves fat, says Mike Roussell, Ph.D., author of The Six Pillars of Nutrition. "When you cut your calorie intake, your metabolism slows to compensate and your body releases more appetite-boosting hormones, such as ghrelin." Luckily, Roussell says, there's a single way to combat both reactions: intense exercise. A British study found that resistance training can suppress ghrelin levels for 2 hours. Other research suggests that resistance training and interval training can raise your metabolism for up to 24 hours after you stop exercising. To successfully keep weight off, exercise 7 hours a week (or about 3,300 calories' worth of activity), combining strength training and intervals, says Roussell. Along with a diet low in refined carbs, this approach can also improve your insulin sensitivity, so your body stores less fat, effectively lowering your set-point weight.

Read more at Men's Health: http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/regaining-lost-weight?page=6#ixzz1wO0kcSNb

Replies

• bassman92
    Options
    I hope somebody reads it...lol
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I wish it would explain why my "set point" is set so much higher than it used to be!
  • SweetLyss1111
    Options
    i read it lol... now just to get motivation!
  • bassman92
    Options
    I wasa hoping that would motivate people to exercise more. Honestly... I really was......serious.:happy:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, although strangely, I find myself more hungry with regular exercise. On the up side, it makes me fitter and stronger.
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    3300 calories worth of activity??? how can that be the goal across the board??? I can run for an hour and a half and it's less than 650 cals! that calorie goal is arbitrary and unrealistic for many people.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    It makes good sense to me. I'm encouraged. My goal is 3500 cals burned each week.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Set point weight is, if I recall my biopsychology classes correctly, one of the prevalent theories. What they found was that animals just have a certain amount of food that they are comfortable with. What happens is, if you give an animal a diet food, like half calorie dog food or something similar, the animal will eat twice as much to compensate for the caloric lose. Remember before flaming me that this was from classes taken a dozen years ago.

That being said, humans are not like normal animals. We have willpower and control that other animals don't exhibit. Yes, we should exercise more, and that usually means getting to the gym between 3-5 times a week to create the calorie deficit. I have tried dieting while sedentary, and in my personal experience it didn't work well. There was weight loss, but it was minimal.

The research I've read lately has advocated the combination of eating less and burning more. The thought is that if you go to the gym seven days a week, but continue eating more than your body requires, you will eventually stop working out (because you will get bored, have kids, find something on TV, etc). By the same token, if you eat way less than your body requires, you will simply store everything. It really does have to be both to have long lasting effects, from everything I've read.