is 1200 really healthy??

Options
So I just adjusted my settings in MFP from lightly active lifestyle to sedentary. I put lightly active because I workout 45 min to an hour everyday, but then realized that outside of my workouts, I was mainly sedentary. So here I am now at 1200 calories per day.

I'm 5"3 and 225 lbs. My settings are on losing 2 lbs a week (figured since I have SO much to lose, why not start big)

So is it healthy for me to "only" eat 1200 cal? I'm scared it will slow down my weight loss for some reason...I don't feel the need to eat more so that's good, I just wouldn't want to hurt my body. Also, I rarely eat back the calories I lost during my workouts.

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Replies

• mjlobeau
    mjlobeau Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'2", 136. i eat 1200 a day, and i eat back my exercise calories. i dont think its unhealthy as long as you make sure you net 1200.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    If you're only eating 1200, then you should eat your exercise calories back, because netting lower than 1200 can have detrimental effects. I used to eat 1200 but I feel better eating 1500 and eating about 50% of my exercise calories back. When you hit your sweet spot you will know, but it does take some trial and error.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 too but I do also eat most of my exercise calories back so it ends up closer to 1400 usually. I didn't in the beginning and lost faster but then I stalled for a long time until I started eating my exercise calories back.
  • EbonySD
    EbonySD Posts: 142
    Options
    1200 is fine, and you don't have to eat back your calories from exercise every day. You might want to "bank" them for a meal out on the weekend. I am 5'4 office job consuming 1200 calories gross. After several years of gaining/losing weight, I have learned that if I eat back all my exercise calories, my weight won't change and I usually gain weight.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,977 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is healthy if you are eating healthy foods......stay away from "empty" calories and make sure that what you are feeding yourself is nourishing your body........and the more you exercise, the more calories you need so plan to eat the extra calories you gain by exercising :bigsmile:
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 5" and I started at 232 pounds....I ate 1200 caolories and when I workout I ate back at least half of my exercise calories. I only eat clean foods. I really can eat alot of food for 1200 calories. Procesed food are alot more calories...sugar...and fats.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    1200 is not a 'magic number' - it is just the mimumum set by MFP. The amount that is 'healthy' depends on factors individual to you, including height, weight, age, activity level and the amount of nutrition you are getting from your food.

I find that MFP settings are really literal - sedentary means not moving at all. I have a desk job and do very little non-exercise activity and sedentary is way too low for me (based on my calories burnt per my BMF on non-workout days).
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the way you have your plan set up is intended for you to eat your exercise calories back.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    1200 is pretty low for you. I would calculate your BMR and make sure you're eating at least that, plus all of your exercise calories. It may seem counter intuitive now, but you need to stoke the metabolism furnace.

I'm sitting at 110lbs, and it has me on the same number (1230)...seems a little arbitrary.
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I started at 190.5 and 1200 calories. I usually am full when I eat back some of my work out calories. Sometimes I eat them all back and sometimes I dont. I eat when I am hungry, but never go over the 1200. If I feel like I need more food then I go for an extra walk or something so I dont go over. I think for trying to lose a lot of weight the 1200 is fine as long as you are not starving. When you are ready to maintain your weight that is when you adjust it for more calories and start eating back all your calories. That is what works for me, but you just have to listen to your body! :)
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Working out every day is Moderate activity, not Light. Light is 2-3 workouts a week. If you reset your activity level, it should go up.
  • nbreteil
    nbreteil Posts: 40
    Options
    thanks for all your advice. I eat really healthy now ( I say now because before starting this whole lifestyle change I was hooked on junk food and indian take-out!) so I know I'm giving my body what it needs. I just want to make sure my settings are right because yes, I want to loose weight, but I don't want to "hurt" my body!!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit, so I set my activity to sedentary, and I get an adjustment for *excess* activity several times a day. I aim to get close to 1200 net, but I am actually having trouble eating enough healthy foods!
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you're sedentary and eat back your exercise calories, it should be fine.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    yes, if you eat back your exercise calories. so really you are eating more than 1200.
  • GAsoulstar
    GAsoulstar Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight by burning off excess body fat, aim to eat 500 fewer calories per day than your daily caloric needs, and maintain or increase your exercise activity.

Do not go below 1200 calories per day unless you are on a medically supervised weight loss program or after consultation with your doctor.
  • sherrykwilk
    sherrykwilk Posts: 12
    Options
    I believe that this program sets the calories based on NO ACTIVITY!!!! It is what you need to breathe, get up and walk to the bathroom and turn on the remote control! Conventional wisdom is that most people will lose weight on 1500 calories a day. If you don't eat enough you slow down your metabolism and your body stores fat. Survival. 1200 is too low if you get out of bed, go to work a desk job, stand to cook dinner and wash a few dishes, etc. The program expects you to eat back your activity calories and those calories do not only come from workouts!!!! You will doom yourself to failure on 1200 calories a day!
  • llamalauren
    llamalauren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me last week that 1200 calories is the absolute minimum anyone should consume and ordered me to EAT MORE because i'm not losing weight. If 1200 is to hard you will still get results with 1500-1700 calories a day. The number one thing you can do to lose weight is burn more calories. Muscles burn more calories just existing. Eat a little more and do some weight training and you will feel much better and still lose weight. At least that what the Dr. says. Results pending.
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    Just for a different point of view, check out the group, Eat More to Weigh Less. It is very interesting to read the stories from those who think 1200 is way too low. I lost fine at 1200 net for the first couple of months, I figured out my BMR and TEED and did all the calculations recommeded and have started to lose again. I am not saying it will or won't work for anyone else but it wouldn't hurt to check it out. I try to eat about 1700-1750 per day and don't count exercise unless I go over my TEED. I lost 2.5 pounds last week.
  • llamalauren
    llamalauren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 for 6 months and worked out HARD 2-3 times a week for 6 months. i lost NO weight. just gained self hate.