Shoot a Smile or Ignore the person?

Options
I see the same people routinely on the path I run at the park. Specifically, this one guy. Since we run in opposite directions on a loop we end up passing each other quite a bit. Usually, I smile and say hi when we pass the first time (as does he). But, by the time I pass him the 3rd or 4th time I'm starting to feel a little awkward if I keep smiling.

Is it impolite to not make eye contact after the first couple of passes? Once you smile the first time, are you forced to smile every time? Honestly, by the time I pass these people 3 or 4 times I'm not as energetic as when I started my run either!

Replies

• Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would say that saying "hi" and smiling the first time should be enough. You don't have to acknowledge them the entire time.

Julianne
  • LHudson53
    LHudson53 Posts: 126
    Options
    I agree. The other person is probably feeling the same way, too!!!!
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    Just smile or nod - it takes nothing and it's better to be nice than not! :wink:
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I would say after the first hello a simple smile would be fine
  • janinebudgell
    janinebudgell Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    teehee... I say "bump into him" and ask him to change the direction of his run excerising is always more fun with a partner! ;)
  • McButtski
    McButtski Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Blow him a kiss and lick your lips the next time you're out - after that he'll avoid eye contact or, if you do it creepy enough - he may run somewhere else entirely
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Isnt this covered in an episode of Seinfeld?
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Just smile or nod - it takes nothing and it's better to be nice than not! :wink:

Agree with this.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    Smile at the girl, nod at the dude, ignoring people makes you a prude.
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    Blow him a kiss and lick your lips the next time you're out - after that he'll avoid eye contact or, if you do it creepy enough - he may run somewhere else entirely
    This.
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you like him, on your last lap, jump on him and ride him like a pony!

:laugh:
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    The first time, say hi
    The second time, nod
    The third time, do your best "Elaine" dance....

After that..trust me, he'll change his route :drinker:
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    My husband rides a motorbike (in the UK) as do both my sons....they have this thing where they nod when they see another biker.

When I am out walking my dog I acknowledge other dog walkers...maybe it is a oooh you are doing it too thing???
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Lol here in the US Bikers, as in motorcyles, will wave by dropping their arm straight out but angeled towards the road with their hands out and like one finger doing a "kinda" point... At first I was confused and now I see it everywhere one biker to another I guess its the "hey your doing it to" kidna thing lol

in answer to the oringinal posters question.

1st lap "Hi" and nod and smile
    2nd lap smile and nod
    3rd lap nod
    4th lap ignore them. Lol Idk just a casual smile and nod is all I ever do. Acknowledgement is enough for me in return as well.
  • adamlash
    adamlash Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    smile and hi the first time, then the rest just nod in his direction :) thats how we say hello up here haha
  • 1985Andy
    1985Andy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Smile after lap 1..

Either that or wear a t-shirt with your predicament written on it like this:

Shoud I keep smiling at you after every lap?

Nod yes if yes
    Nod no if no
    Smile if you want to get a coffee :)
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Why not just run in the same direction as him to avoid the awkward passes altogether?
  • underw64
    underw64 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Smile after lap 1..

Either that or wear a t-shirt with your predicament written on it like this:

Shoud I keep smiling at you after every lap?

Nod yes if yes
    Nod no if no
    Smile if you want to get a coffee :)

I like this option :) but I say once is enough. Maybe a slight smile the second time around, but generally if I pass someone on the trail near our house, they get a smile and "hello!" the first time, and a nod the second.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I just really suck at all that social stuff and woulda gone somewhere else the second or third time I ran into the situation. Ya I know, but that's just me :wink: