Weight = 350, How many calories are you eating a day?

Options
I am receiving conflicting information on how many calories I should be eating a day. I know everyone is different but I am curious to how many calories a day people in the 350 range are eating. This website says I should consume 1770

Replies

• ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i have heard a lot about this site.
    and it has helped LOTS of people lose LOTS of weight.
    so if you filled in your info correctly, then it should be pretty accurate.
    try only consuming that many calories, and see what happens. :)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your stats are. (height, age and so on) I was given 1800 at 300lb
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am a 200 lb man and eat 3000 calories. But like others said its based on weight height and age. But you should follow mfp and then eat back 50-75% of you exercise calories.
  • aphrogirl2002
    Options
    I am 5'5, technically weigh 341 and I'm 41 years old
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am 5'5, technically weigh 341 and I'm 41 years old

I would put you at 2000-2200 calories without eating exercise calories or 1800+ exercise calories.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    When I first joined I weighed in at 355, height 5'7" and MFP suggested I eat 1900 calories per day.

It worked for me. I also was walking every other day for an hour (and at that point had no idea about eating
    back the workout calories so I wasn't. I do eat half back now, though!)

Every 10 lbs lost MFP readjusts your calorie intake tailoring it around your activity level, height, age, and weight (I believe.)

I would just let MFP do it's thing and you do yours- remember that being active is just as important as eating better :)

Good luck!
  • jasonfndr
    jasonfndr Posts: 39
    Options
    I don't really tell anyone what I weigh. It is over 350. The doctor put me on 2000 calories a day for a couple of months then moved it down to 1500. Been at these calories for about 3 months now. Hope this helps!!~~
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    When I began, I was 370 and I'm 5 ft 6, lead a sedentary work life (office job), and they had me at around 1800 cals a day to lose two lbs a week. Of course it's adjusted since then, so I'd say it's pretty accurate, given how much I'm losing.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    What did you set as your pounds to lose per week? I'm also at 1770, but that's weighing 243lbs and losing 1 lb per week.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP, I weighed around 330 lbs. I just looked back through my diary and found that I ate around 1700-2000 calories per day. I lost a lot of weight in my first months of MFP (40 lbs in 2 months!) I would recommend eating what MFP calculates for you at first. Now that I've lost 130 lbs, I eat more to preserve my muscle, 2000-2300 per day.....but when you have more to lose, its okay to have a higher calorie deficit- as I've found from my personal experience. I hope that helps!
  • Rhondaks1
    Rhondaks1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 44, weigh 340 pounds, and am 5'9. The program gave me 2070 calories a day and I'm finding it difficult to actually eat that many, especially with the extra allowance you get for exercising. I just started this program this week.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am 246 and I'm eating between 1700 and 2100 a day.
  • cammbri2
    cammbri2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weigh 248, and I am 5'4". They started me at 2198 calories. I think the difference is how much you exercise. My mother is on here, and she is 4'8" and weighs 170. She was given 1200, but she does not excercise at all. When you exercise calories are burned. This is just a thought.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm at 350 and I am 5'9". I burn around 800-1000 calories per day exercising. I shoot for 2500-3000 per day.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Here is a simple formula.

The more fat a person has the bigger deficit they can get away with.

Normally(not in your case) to maintain weight people usually eat about 12-15 * their body weight. So for me I weigh 306 or so
    306 * 12 = 3676 calories for me to maintain my weight, which is pretty close to what other calculators tell me.

Now, think of your goal weight, my goal weight is 235lbs, so I find out how many calories a person who weighs 235 weighs.

235 * 12 = 2820 calories. I would eat at this number until i come close to my goal weight. No need to wory about eating exercise calories back and what not. You plan to reach your goal weight eventually? Why not start eating at that level now..? no need to adjust every time you lose weight, stick to that level and you should be good to go.

Very interesting and simple way to look at this. Thanks :)
  • twinsmom03
    twinsmom03 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Very interesting!!!!
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    1500 is DEFINATELY not enough for a person of that size.

I am 5'9" 147 lbs and my BMR is ~1700. I maintain with 2800 calories/day.
    Eating less than your BMR will seriously mess up your metabolism long term.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&s=e7c715683aa6e8e7f98039af8ed76162
    Use this link to calculate how many calories per day you should be having.
    It is much more accurate than myfitnesspal's calculator.

A deficit larger than 22 Calories per Pound of Body Fat is a very bad idea.
  • ajbltn
    ajbltn Posts: 57
    Options
    It takes into consideration the number of calories your body needs to just live. Heat beat, breathing, etc... I'd stick with what it says! The site is pretty snazzy. And like others have said, it'll adjust as needed for you. :) Good luck!!
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    A good start is 10 * your body weight but I honestly think at 2000 calories you would be fine.
  • aharris74
    aharris74 Posts: 4
    Options
    I know where you are coming from with conflicting amounts of calories I have gone with different amounts from 1200 to 2400 . But I have found that this site is working for me.
    With the amount that they have given me of 1700 a day. I am losing for once and it is the first time that I have been taking the weight off and keeping it off. The exercise tracker pushes me to exercise as well. Try the amount of calories and see how you make out.