I'm new... any tips or encouragement? :)

Options
I recently joined MFP along with my mother and sister. We all lost weight on Weight Watchers last year but each gained it back.
I'm taking some of the things I've learned from WW and trying it with MFP.

I'm 170 lbs and eating 900 cals a day but over the past couple weeks I've lost half a pound :(
I'm just looking for some tips some of you might have that have worked for you.

Feel free to add me so we can encourage each other! :)
-Kate

Replies

• Nath07
    Nath07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Tips;
    1. Try and eat to your calorie goal
    2. Keep on logging....and be honest with yourself. The rest will take care of itself!!
  • XofitnessbugoX
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough! If you fall under 1100 or so calories your body will store fat instead of burning it! It's not just how much you eat it's what you eat. Stick to whole grains, fruits, vegetables and lean meats- try the perimeter of the supermarket instead of the aisle!

Also don't be discouraged- every day is a chance to pursue your fitness goals and you're already on the right track! :)
  • goddamnelectric
    Options
    Be sure you're eating enough! Eating under can be just as bad as overeating. 900 cal a day seems low. Are you exercising too?
  • pixymom1963
    pixymom1963 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you consume too few calories, your body will go into a starvation mode and slow down your metabolism to save itself. You won't loose fat because your body thinks it needs to save it because you are not feeding it!
  • cocokatie
    cocokatie Posts: 3
    Options
    Just remember, when a craving hits and you want to eat a snack, " Being healthy is far more important than satisfying a few minutes of a food craving." Once you can re-train your brain into craving foods like carrots and celery, you will be able to break down the fat and speed up your metabolism. Sometimes, if I don't want to just eat a carrot, I use the juicer and throw in some strawberries too. It makes eating healthier more fun and changes things up a bit. Peanut butter on celery might be tasty, but the peanut butter is so high in fat and carbohydrates that eating it on your celery really defeats the purpose. Ie: Weight loss. You can do it, just keep on trucking. : ) I am right there with you.
  • Hhterry2
    Hhterry2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ditto on #2...even on a bad day, track. It helps to know where you are even when it's been an off day. :smile:
  • TwtyMami35
    TwtyMami35 Posts: 99
    Options
    It's not just about eating the calories, it's also about proper diet and exercise. You can eat 1100 calories of junk,but that would not help your journey.

Eat breakfast
    Drink LOTS of Water
    Healthy Snacks
    Exercise - workout with friends, family, during lunch breaks
    Watch your sodium
    Eat lots of protein - shakes, beans, smoothies, oatmeal

I am sure you learned a great deal from WW. Do exactly what you said and take what u learned from them and apply here. Log, log, log.

Feel Free to add me.
  • jwlav
    jwlav Posts: 31
    Options
    Eat enough... calories in vs calories out... and drink your water!
  • cocokatie
    Options
    True, but with the amount of weight that Americans have on our bodies, it will take a lot less calorie intake to actually get our bodies to starve. I could probably go two weeks without eating before my body goes into starvation mode. It is very different here than in Africa or North Korea. If our body thinks we are starving, well, it will learn quickly that it isn't once it finds some more fat to break down. haha. Good to keep in mind though. Dieting too severely can cause negative side effects. Ie: low blood sugar, hair loss, and anxiety. Try some hot tea or some fresh fruit to keep you going. : )
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Take measurements! I wish I had measured my waist when I first started.
  • cocokatie
    Options
    Good job! You are almost half way there! I have barely budged. haha
  • rl4552
    rl4552 Posts: 1
    Options
    the best kind of weight loss is the slow kind. it's the one where you make small adjustments to your diet, your exercises, so that the changes become a lifestyle rather than a desperate attempt to look good for a few days before reverting back to how you ate/lived before.

once you see the results (though patience will be needed) you will feel proud and happy and everything will be worth it :)

oh and diet is 80% of the battle! The other 20% is exercise :P so don't make the mistake I made and exercise so you can eat whatever you want...haha
  • sparklesnsht
    Options
    I do about 30 mins of cardio 3-4 times a week along with the 900 calories. I often feel like i'm depriving myself but i figured i'd be doing good for my body. would it be more appropriate to raise it to 1100 cals a day?
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating more calories... like at least 1200 a day. 8)
  • sandi189
    sandi189 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm new and confused.....I was 13 calories short of my 1200 daily allowed and when I recorded for the day I got a message saying I'm eating too few calories, it's difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels and I could be putting my body into starvation mode. Other than logging what I eat, I don't seem to be eating much different from what I was before I got on MFP. Of course, cutting out the restaurant breads will probably make a difference. Can anyone explain this message? Thanks
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    you need to eat more in calories it will have the reverse effect on you and slow down your metabolism so that you won't lose or very little loss. Just eat healthy foods, veggies fruits, whole grains etc.
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. And ditto to what others are saying on eating your calories. 1200 is the minimum and will probably help you lose more weight by eating them.
  • goddamnelectric
    Options
    I do about 30 mins of cardio 3-4 times a week along with the 900 calories. I often feel like i'm depriving myself but i figured i'd be doing good for my body. would it be more appropriate to raise it to 1100 cals a day?

I would think so. Also try to start some lifting and make sure you're hitting your protein goal every day.
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My tip is stay away from these message boards with questions. When a question is asked this place turns into a war zone. People going all at it. If you need help ask your friends.