Does dating affect your fitness progress?

Options
13»

Replies

• GAsoulstar
    GAsoulstar Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't feel that dating affect your fitness progress (only speaking for myself). Self-motivation is important and if you are dating someone they should understand and respect your desire to workout or get in better shape. I think a lot of times we put our priorities in the wrong areas. If you are dating and you can't workout then something is wrong with that relationship. I know I enjoy working out and we should motivate it each to do something we like sometimes.
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yes! Just got treated to steak n shake...just couldn't say no :(
  • HBinOC
    HBinOC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I too gained weight during a relationship- only because its a time issue- you want to spend time with that person, yet -work, kids, other priorities at times interferes, and yes you could get up at the crack of dawn- for some of us that is a challenge in its own:)
    I have been more on track single because the time is dedicated to me and only me on my schedule.
  • simplysarah32
    Options
    I think WHO you date is definitely important. Someone who understands how important exercise is can be a huge motivation.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Exercise no ... but my food intake becomes less healthy, but I seem to naturally regulated the calories correctly
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    No not really - I have my weights sessions and any other stuff I have planned and that is my stuff that she has to fit around. Just like she goes to the gym her times and I don't get miffed about that. (Because who would get annoyed that their gf is keeping fit?! That **** is hot!!)

With food - I just make what I'm having and she can have that or her own food.

Sounds harsher than it really is.
  • HideNGeek
    HideNGeek Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm not single, but I find when i'm home all day with the better half that my eating isn't as healthy as it would be when I am at work and in my routine.
  • ninaquelinda
    ninaquelinda Posts: 136
    Options
    Dating usually includes eating out and lots of drinks... which means I step up my workouts. I guess the thought of someone possibly seeing me naked in the near future is a good enough motivator to keep on track. :blushing:
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't allow that to happen at this stage because it's part of who I am now, so I'd only date someone who commits to living a healthy lifestyle. I think if you both are committed to your fitness and health goals then it will inspire a healthy relationship from the start.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    my boyfriend started to become healthy and exercise more for me :) I think he realised that if he eats crap I eat crap ! but for some reason he doesn't like me bigger anymore which i didn't appreciate him telling me! i'm doing this for me so i'm happy and my self esteem is a little higher!
    but yes when we got together i ate like crazy! but it was mostly my housemates eating habits that i used to copy !
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know :sad: I've only been getting healthy nice I've been single!
    Same! :sad:

Same as well. I think it's a double-edged sword. It's good in a way because it keeps me focused and busy. The flip side, I'm too focused and busy that I probably miss out on potential dates.
  • Jigglebewie
    Jigglebewie Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    When you first start to date someone all you want to do is spend time with them, going out and enjoying yourself. I gained over 2 stone (28 lbs) when I started going out with my boyfriend nearly 5 years ago.

My weight has gone up and down up and down, it's only been these past few months were I'm starting to workout and live a healthier lifestyle. It's working out for the better now, as he is supporting and helping me, and I'm trying to help him eat healthily too.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    When you first start to date someone all you want to do is spend time with them, going out and enjoying yourself.

I know this is true for a lot of people, but for like... half of us- the opposite is true. You wanna spend as much time as possible continuing on your route to awesomeness and hope that they can A) Keep Up B) Be inspired by you and inspire you back C) appreciate that you are continually improving yourself in front of them and D) realise that this is proof that its not going to turn into a rut or get boring.

I cant understand when people fall in love an suddenly dont want to do anything but curl up on the couch together, eat a milions meals, drinks a million drinks, watch a million movies, shut out the world and their friends and leave all their personal goals behind. Life should not stop when you meet your match.... it should LAUNCH!

Or at least thats how the oher half of us see it

shrug

I meet someone I like... you bet your *kitten* Im at the gym and my consistency improves.
  • Jigglebewie
    Jigglebewie Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I can defo understand that now, back when I met my partner I was 16 he was 21, he was skinny, I was probs the same weight then, as I am now (I did go up 2 1/2 stone whilst with him). But if I was to meet him again right now whilst I was losing weight, my routine would stick, I'd want to keep losing for me.

Back then I was too young to even care, I knew I was bigger than most girls my age, but my close group of friends were all big too, they weren't doing anything about their weight and I didn't really think about it.

Now I am getting on track and it feels great to be losing weight and actually having support from the one your with. He's actually into being healthy now, he cycles each day and has been eating well. So it's great if you can find someone who's into living a long and healthy life with you.

If not, still keep up your routine, I wouldn't give up now =D