help with protein

Options

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, and I eat around the same amount of protein as you are hoping. I don't make extravagant meals, but I also have a family, and sport, and school, and work.

You can always supplement with a protein powder, I have at least one a day.

Good luck!
    Spammy has rocked it. Anyone should be highly motivated by her.

Oh gosh, you made me blush! :blushing:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I really like to mix my vanilla whey with a packet of Starbucks instant coffee and a teaspoon of ground cinnamon before adding the milk and shaking it all up.

That's my favorite too (but never had it with cinnamon - will have to try it now)

Um, wow. Going to have to try this.

I usually use chocolate protein powder so it tastes like a mocha frappacino - but am definately going to try the vanilla/cinnamon combo.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, tuna steaks (really great protein to calories ratio. Not the canned crap, actual tuna steaks), turkey breast, all good sources of protein. Someone a couple days ago posted a link to a listing of foods and protein counts. I downloaded the data, added a couple calculations, and made it sortable, because I'm a nerd like that. You can find the spreadsheet here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhrF6DYrFPujdDFJODJKQzB5QTQ0eXVIcWstTHBRZHc

I also regularly take protein powders (the Syntha-6 line by BSN is a blend of whey and casein. About 190 calories for a 22g of protein serving). I take my protein powder and mix it into my oatmeal in the morning (the Strawberry Milkshake in plain oatmeal is delicious!).

And there's also protein bars available. The warning you'll get on protein bars is that they can be high in carbs or sugar, but there's some out there that are sweetened with stevia -- the ProMax LS series is one, 220 calories for 18g of protein, which taste pretty good. There's another one I just picked up, Pure Protein, which is 200 calories for 20 grams of protein. No idea if that one's any good , I've not cracked the box yet.

One last edit - another poster mentioned egg whites. If you buy the Egg Beaters egg whites, they're pasteurized, so you can eat them raw if you want and are pretty much tasteless, so you can mix them into just about anything. Peronally, I mix them into greek yogurt with a little bit of fruit for a pretty high protein shake (today was 1 whole banana, 50g pineapple, 1c chobani fat free plain greek yogurt, 1/2c egg whites = 327 calories, 37g protein).
  • konnim
    konnim Posts: 2
    Options
    shushi tuna has 30 grams and I found out yesterday that lengua has 45 for each 3 oz serving (its really good if its cooked properly)
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt:-) also beans/legumes, peanut butter, grains like farro, wheat berries, etc.... Chia seeds
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I always add protein powder to my coffee!! On the weekend I make mini meatloaf muffins. I use either: ground chicken, ground turkey or 93% lean ground beef, mix whatever veggies (spinach, onion, bell peppers), seasoning and egg whites and cook in a muffin pan (mini meatloaves) or in a mini muffin pan (meatballs) and then I eat them all week...easy to grab and go, add to a wrap, throw on top of salads, mix with fresh veggies, etc... I do the same thing with eggs/egg whites and veggies and make egg cupcakes/muffins. Hope this helps!

http://www.hardbody.com/news/2010/11/09/jamie-easons-turkey-meatloaf-muffins-recipe/

http://everydaypaleo.com/2010/03/24/egg-cupcakes/
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Make your own protein bars...that is a good option...I am also looking into this one! I personally LOVE peanut butter and a banana...almonds....beef jerky and turkey jerky... I am a single mom that works full time...and I try to eat over 100 grams of protein a day too...greek yogurt is another great source. Muscle Milk chocolate is pretty good too!
  • bottenana
    bottenana Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    To help sneak in my protein I use nutritional yeast in everything. It's a great protein booster. Also, I drink kefir in the morning - Trader Joe's has GREAT prices on it - which knocks out a lot of my protein in the morning. Good luck!!!
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes/bars are the only way I can get all my protein in. The majority I get from lean meats, but I just can't get enough that way. However, until I find a protein shake my stomach can tolerate, I'll probably come up short for awhile. I started using Jillian Michaels protein shake and it killed my stomach! Ugh! I think I'm going to try Optimum Nutrition- my fiance has that and the Double Rich Chocolate is really good!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    adding protein powder to breakfast oatmeal helps me, also substituting plain greek yogurt in for sour cream or even mayo can help add in some protein and make for a healthy sub. :)
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ My breakfast alone can be 90 grams of protein ...

16 oz of H2O with Body Fortess Chocolate Protein Powder ... 280 cal 52 g Protein
    Fage Nonfat 0% Greek Yogurt ... 100 Cal 18 g Protein
    ½ Cup raw Blueberries ... 41 Cal 1 g Protein
    Healthy N Fit - 100% Egg Protein - Strawberry Passion, 3/4 scoop 100 cal 24 g Protein

* This is generally my breakfast on a hard workout day burning 1,000+ calories

I love the " Premier Nutrition Protein Chocolate Peanut Bar 280 cal and 30 g Protein

I also enjoy :

Edamame
    Sushi
    Nuts
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Peanut Butter
    Pumpkin Seeds
    Sunflower Seeds

There is a " Body Fortress - Super Whey Protein Shot - Fruit Punch, 1 vial at 110 cal and 26 g Protein ... I will sometimes use this after a good burn.

Protein is the most difficult macro to accumulate ... when looking to get to 100 g or more a day .... either double up on the chicken, salmon and lean meats .... or find some really good protein bars that are low in sugar and carbs. :)
  • Deb5653
    Deb5653 Posts: 3
    Options
    I make a protein drink every morning. One scoopof whey and then I add in avacado, frozen strawberries, frozen bluberriess, bananas,. I put it with water as I was using too many calories on the milk. I am wondering though why my chart says that I only need 48 grams of protein a day, when I know that I should at least have 75 or more?
  • THEsnails
    THEsnails Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Soy products (tempeh, seitan, straight up soybeans, soymilk, etc.), beans and legumes (lentils, kidney beans, chick peas, pinto beans and so forth), nut butters (specifically crunchy peanut butter) and just nuts in general, whole grain rice, whole wheat bread/pasta, dark leafy green vegetables, non-dairy milks (although you have to watch with these, some are high in calcium or iron but low in protein).
  • THEsnails
    THEsnails Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I should also mention Clif Bars have 20+ grams of protein per bar and they are delicious, filling, and easy to eat on the run.

Because you are busy, I would suggest planning meals out over the weekend and cooking as much as you can in your free time. For instance, if you're free on a Sunday afternoon, try to prepare as many meals as you can in advance. Then you can freeze/refrigerate and throw things together when you need them. So, maybe I would plan to make a lime-infused tofu dish or whatever...I would chop up all of my ingredients ahead of time, marinate and freeze the tofu, and then I can dump everything in a pot and heat it up in a few days before I have to run to class, work, etc. Sorry if that is a silly suggestion, perhaps you've already tried this!

Also, don't get too caught up in protein. Many people get much more protein than their body actually needs, and excess protein can be harmful. The best way to ensure you're getting enough protein is to eat a balanced diet full of the most basic of foods, such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, legumes, and whole grains.
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    I BUY UNFLAVORED SOY PROTEIN POWDER FROM GNC ADD 2 SCOOPS (WHICH IS 50 GRAMS OF PROTEIN) TO A POUND OF GROUND TURKEY. IF U MAKE 4 BURGERS OUT OF THE POUND OF GROUND TURKEY (WHICH WUD B 22 GRAMS OF PROTEIN ALONE) THEN ADD 1/2 SCOOP OF THE PROTEIN POWDER U WUD ADD AN XTRA 12.5 GRAMS OF PROTEIN TO THE TURKEY BURGER. THAT WUD BRING THAT TURKEY BURGER UP TO 34.5 GRAMS OF PROTEIN.

I EAT IT WITH 2 SLICES OF NATURES OWN WHOLE WHEAT BREAD & DAT ALSO ADDS ANOTHER 8 GRAMS OF PROTEIN & LOW FAT SWISS CHEESE, MUSTARD & TOMATOES. BRINGS IT UP TO 49 GRAMS EASILY. ADD A CUP OF LOW FAT MILK AND U GOT A 55 GRAM PROTEIN LUNCH OR DINNER
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Ok I am at a similar weight and protein goals and I feel like I am finally finding my groove after much struggling. In the morning I add a scoop of chocolate protein powder to my coffee, eat a muffin or oatmeal, etc and 3 egg whites. That's about 50 right there. Then I will usually have a cup of plain Greek yogurt plus a scoop of banana protein powder for an afternoon snack. 240 calories and 46g of protein. Then I always have some form of meat for dinner. It varies between fish, chicken, steak but that usually covers it. Other random foods throughout the day have some to round it out. Good luck!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Just a side note, many studies have shown that anything over 20 grams per meal is superfluous.

I am guilty of eating more than 20 grams per meal, but just something to keep in mind. All that extra protein you are ingesting may not be doing you a lick of good.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Just a side note, many studies have shown that anything over 20 grams per meal is superfluous.

I am guilty of eating more than 20 grams per meal, but just something to keep in mind. All that extra protein you are ingesting may not be doing you a lick of good.

Why? I haven't seen that. Do you have links to the articles?
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options

Protein is required by the body for the growth, maintenance and repair of all cells.

Protein is a major component of all muscles, tissues and organs and is vital for practically every process that occurs within the body such as metabolism, digestion and the transportation of nutrients and oxygen in the blood.

It is also necessary for the production of antibodies, which fight against infection and illness, and is the main nutrient that keeps our hair shiny and healthy, our nails strong, our skin fresh and glowing and our bones strong and healthy.

Any amount consumed can be beneficial in one way or another ... :flowerforyou:
  • Pascua_j
    Pascua_j Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump! Thanks for all the great ideas, I have been struggling here as well