I need help hitting my calories...

Options
Anyone else out there having trouble getting their recommended amount of calories in? I don't want to eat a bunch of bad for me foods just to get enough calories. Any suggestions?

Replies

• mmbleb
    mmbleb Posts: 14
    Options
    I need the same help. Its 9pm and I've only had 800 calories today :(
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Fruits and veggies would probably help you hit the mark. Putting together a salad can add up your calories. Fruit is a great snack and it has a nice calorie punch to it. Nuts also something to add to help with hitting calorie goals. Good luck.
  • dalexander82
    dalexander82 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You can try yogurt or a fruit smoothie...
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    nuts and nut butters... calorie dense foods that also happen to taste awesome
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Almonds do the trick pretty quick. Gotta make sure you have enough fat left over for them though.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and fruit, hummus and veggies, add avacado to a salad or a sandwich, nuts.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    my net today was 303 /:
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Make your protein shakes with Cottage cheese, Two Table Spoons of PB, and Raw Oats...

Cottage cheese - Lowfat, 2% milkfat, 4 oz
    Pat's Skippy - Peanut Butter - Natural Creamy, 2 TBS
    Quaker Oats - Old Fashioned Oatmeal, 40 g
    Hood - Calorie Countdown-2% Chocolate Milk, 8 ounces

That is my protein shake every morning = 522 Cals

I have a fruit one that is 450 Cals

Add a slice of whole grain wheat bread to each meal....That could add some calories...
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Yogurts, fresh fruit and veggies, or even a protein shake or bar.
    I have a recipe for microwaved baked apples. They are pretty good. If you want the recipe, send me a message and I will send it to you.
  • Siobhan69
    Siobhan69 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hummus is great with veggie sticks, also nuts and a sneaky little bit of chocolate. 30g of raw almonds with 25g of chocolate is a high calorie snack coming in at 303 but I find at the end of the day it's a good way to get those extra calories in without making yourself feel too full or bloated. It's healthy and gives you a little sweet treat!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and fruit, hummus and veggies, add avacado to a salad or a sandwich, nuts.

^this

Plus - no low fat/low sugar food, cheese, chocolate milk, peanut butter, add butter/olive oil to food when cooking.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    when i am a lil low i throw some sugar free apple juice in there, mine is 110 calories per glass, it also helps break up the consistency of drinking water all day
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm having that issue too! I am trying to keep my net carbs as close to 50 as I can, so a lot of the high calorie foods are out for me :(

Last night I ate an ounce of brie on 2oz of summer sausage to get a yummy 300 calories in. Tonight I had a chocolate mudslide Atkins advantage bar to add a quick 210 calories with not as many carbs...

I'm seriously considering cutting down my *usual* workouts so I can have higher net calories--I burn about 500 calories in the gym 3x a week, and only netting under 500 calories those days :( thinking I will cut my cardio from 65 minutes to 35 minutes so my workouts only burn about 300 calories...
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Giant plate of buttered noodles. Nom.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You can check out my diary for ideas. I'm not perfect but I usually get there. I eat 2300+ depending on my workout.
  • ash12783
    ash12783 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    this is a challenge for me as well.... I feel like i've eaten alot today but still have almost a 300 calorie deficit.... and it's not like everything i ate was super healthy or anything... i had some ice cream and full fat salad dressing as well as BBQ sauce- not a lot, but still.... my goal is just over 1300 and i keep missing the mark... i definitely don't want to put my body into starvation mode!
  • SteveO5198
    SteveO5198 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! I will definitely try some of these ideas. :happy: