Very Fat arms

Options
TRISTAR
TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
Hi everyone. I have always had really big arms (at the top). Even when I was younger (19 years old), and an air stewardess, I always had to wear bigger tops to accomodate my big arms. As you can imagine, with my weight being high now, they are massive. I am very embarrassed about them. I'm exercising alot, and also incorporated tricep exercises. I have read though that this will only tone muscle. I suppose what I'm really asking is, do you think as I lose weight, that I will lose some off my arms? Or do you think I could be stuck with the fat on there? I've heard of people losing weight, and it not shifting in certain areas.

Any info/help appreciated

Claire

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have always had really big arms (at the top). Even when I was younger (19 years old), and an air stewardess, I always had to wear bigger tops to accomodate my big arms. As you can imagine, with my weight being high now, they are massive. I am very embarrassed about them. I'm exercising alot, and also incorporated tricep exercises. I have read though that this will only tone muscle. I suppose what I'm really asking is, do you think as I lose weight, that I will lose some off my arms? Or do you think I could be stuck with the fat on there? I've heard of people losing weight, and it not shifting in certain areas.

Claire

Its not based on weight loss, its more based on fat loss. Strength training, with heavy weights will help cut fat.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I too have really big upper arms. I call them bat wings. However, as I have strength trained and cut my body fat they have shrunk. They're still big but then again, so am I. Just keep up with a good workout regimen and my recommendation is to use free weights instead of machines. That's what really helped me. :)
  • alumpoflard
    alumpoflard Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem, I've lost 4 stone so far but none off my arms. I've been trawling the shops trying to find t-shirts with sleeves and always end up having to buy men's t-shirts so they cover the tops of my arms :-( I'm going to do what psulemon says and try strength training, I guess if I google it I'll find some specific exercises.
    Good luck!
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks you for your replies. I was always worried about using free weights, incase I built my arms up, but what you are saying makes perfect sense. I will give it a go. The only weight I have at the moment is a shake weight. Would this be of any use?
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Your arms will shrink if you continue to lose weight. It might be a slow process but if you lose weight and do arm exercises you will benefit. I had large arms when I started and now with diet and exercise, they are all muscle. There is hope, just keep at it!
  • JBG1987
    JBG1987 Posts: 71
    Options
    My doctor told me that lifting heavier weights at few reps is a great way to tone and burn fat. Women generally don't have enough testosterone to "bulk" up muscle wise so don't worry about that. When you lift weight you tear muscle (gradually) and when your body repairs this tearing you burn lots of calories. My doctor recommend to me that I lift the heaviest weight I can tolerate within reason for 8-10 times for 2-3 reps. This worked well for me I used a 20lb weight, but don't hurt yourself. You can tell when it is working because you get really, really HUNGRY when you lift weights because your body is starving for calories so make sure to eat your whole daily allowance of protein! Good luck!
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I agree. Your arms will shrink proportionately with the rest of your body as you lose body fat. My arms still have a bit of flabby skin on them, but underneath there is definitely muscle. I'm almost to the point where I will voluntarily wear a sleeveless shirt.... and that's really saying something!
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thanks you for your replies. I was always worried about using free weights, incase I built my arms up, but what you are saying makes perfect sense. I will give it a go. The only weight I have at the moment is a shake weight. Would this be of any use?

You won't build your arms - you'd have to work very hard, every day with heavy weights and probably supplements to end up looking like the Hulk :)
    Muscles help to burn fat so if you increase the muscle in your upper arms, it will help with fat loos and toning!

Also, muscles keep burning after you stop lifting.
    Maybe try New Rules of Lifting For Women?
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    think of fat like feathers...big a fluffy taking alot of room, and muscle like lead, small, sleek, needing much less room. A lb of feathers vs a lb of lead may weight the same, but the look is totally different.

You need to weight train with heavy weights and not just your tricep, you need to work bicep, lats, shoulders, back, delts, all of it

Jess
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I too have really big upper arms. I call them bat wings. However, as I have strength trained and cut my body fat they have shrunk. They're still big but then again, so am I. Just keep up with a good workout regimen and my recommendation is to use free weights instead of machines. That's what really helped me. :)

I call them bat wings too :) It's the first place I gain and last place I loose fat. Right now with strength training and lifting my biceps are getting huge, but still covered in a lot fat. I know the fat will eventually go away it's just a really slow process, so don't get discouraged.
  • alicepoppyh
    alicepoppyh Posts: 88
    Options
    Mine are big, always were, always hated them.... but they're getting smaller as I lose body fat, and I'm building muscle underneath that little blanket of fat, which I love.

It could even be the last place you lose, everyone is different, but there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't ever lose! Just be strong and patient.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options

Claire

Its not based on weight loss, its more based on fat loss. Strength training, with heavy weights will help cut fat.

This. I am a short woman with big upper arms and upper back, and disproportionally broad shoulders. I have been lifting weights (mostly compound movements as oppose to site specific lifts) for about 3 months 2-3x weekly. I'm by no means chiseled or ripped, but I like my strong arms and wearing a t-shirt.

Well, a shake weight is a start. But I recommend heavy weights. Just pick one up. If you think you can lift an 8 pounder, then go for the 10 lbs to begin with. Always challenge yourself. You will be surprised what you can do with a simple challenge. You can also do alot of work with your own body weight (modified body pull ups and push ups) . Kettleballs and medicine balls are also a great work out. With a medicine ball you can squat, toss it in the air as you power out of the squat, and come back down into a squat. You are working your quads, glutes, biceps, tri-ceps, and lats. Plus getting a metabolic kick from repeating that movement!

Give it a try and best of luck.
  • cajungirl355
    Options
    I've been using water bottles and even canned goods as free weights to help tone my arms. Anything that you can hold comfortably in your hands is fine to use.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I used to have very flabby, untoned upper arms - but a combination of intense cardio (zumba 6 - 7 times a week) and kettlebells honed them down.

It took a while for the muscle tone to start showing (as it was hiding under all the flab), but stick with it!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    think of fat like feathers...big a fluffy taking alot of room, and muscle like lead, small, sleek, needing much less room. A lb of feathers vs a lb of lead may weight the same, but the look is totally different.

*steals* Love this!
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I never had big arms... then when I reached 176lb they became big with cellulite!!! I am now 160lb and they are nearly back to normal. I swim, do zumba and cardio at the gym, no strength training yet... so with a bit of hard work and patience they will change for the better x
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    My problem area is my stomach, so when I lose weight I lose it everywhere and my stomach looks similar but it does definitely shrink significantly. Think it might be the case with your arms, they will get smaller, just have a similar shape, hit the weights and that will change the shape :)

Shoulders and Tri's decrease the size :D
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I also had the big arms, and they are still bigger than I like. But I have lost about 4.5" off them already. The more strength training(toning) and cardio (fat) the better they are looking. You will lose where the body decides usually the fattiest area's first.
    Good Luck...
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I have big arms too :(
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that lifting heavier weights at few reps is a great way to tone and burn fat. Women generally don't have enough testosterone to "bulk" up muscle wise so don't worry about that. When you lift weight you tear muscle (gradually) and when your body repairs this tearing you burn lots of calories. My doctor recommend to me that I lift the heaviest weight I can tolerate within reason for 8-10 times for 2-3 reps. This worked well for me I used a 20lb weight, but don't hurt yourself. You can tell when it is working because you get really, really HUNGRY when you lift weights because your body is starving for calories so make sure to eat your whole daily allowance of protein! Good luck!

how exactly do you lift? I only have a set of three small dumbells (different weights) at home and I keep looking for exercises, but honestly, it just confuses me. Any advice is appreciated :)

Feel free to message me (I don't check the boards often).

How do I lift a heavy weight? (at home)