My rant about people being in cakes/biscuits to work!!

Options
I HATE IT when people bring in cakes and biscuits to work - I've put a stone on in biscuits and cake (oh and the occasional staff buffet at the end of term). I don't even like cake that much but I feel compelled to it at work!! I've avoided the staff room all day today because its someones bday and they've bought in a ton of cakes. Shes super skinny as well!!

Replies

• musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people/co-workers are just trying to be nice by bringing in sweets. I know it's hard to avoid when it's at work and you have to see it but try your best to resist.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I know I know its just so hard!!
  • mendenhall428
    Options
    She's probably super skinny because she brings the cakes to work instead of eating them :)

I bring sweets and baked goods to work on occasion. I'm not holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to eat it. I do understand the frustration though. I swear every time I try to get back on the healthy eating bandwagon someone brings sticky buns or cheesecake or something to work. Agh!
  • MrsRoundbottom
    Options
    hear hear!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't even like cake that much but I feel compelled to it at work!!
    Really now. Feeling compelled to eat food you don't like just because it's there is a problem that you seriously need to deal with. You will never be successful if you don't learn some self-control.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. Two cakes were brought into work yesterday to celebrate a birthday and a citizenship. They were plated with fruit around the border. I skipped the cake and probably saved 500+ calories. It's hard, but people shouldn't compel you.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I HATE IT when people bring in cakes and biscuits to work - I've put a stone on in biscuits and cake (oh and the occasional staff buffet at the end of term). I don't even like cake that much but I feel compelled to it at work!! I've avoided the staff room all day today because its someones bday and they've bought in a ton of cakes. Shes super skinny as well!!

No one said you HAVE to eat them.
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My very small office does pizza parties and then literally peer pressures you into eating. If I say "o I brought my lunch, I am just going to eat that" even my BOSS will say "what? no, save it for tomorrow. Eat your pizza." and I just get BADGERED...I hate it. Apparently today is a pizza party day...and I brought delicious quinoa mac n cheese for lunch =(
  • wasveganvictoria88
    Options
    Really now. Feeling compelled to eat food you don't like just because it's there is a problem that you seriously need to deal with. You will never be successful if you don't learn some self-control.

I was overexaggerating a little there...but I am trying really hard :-(
  • psideon
    psideon Posts: 24
    Options
    Eat a small sliver to be polite if it's a celebration, but instead of seeing a tasty sweet treat, try to see the calories and how long it will take you to work them off. Has been working for me for the past 2 weeks (just started the program) and will hopefully stay that way.

1 chocolate chip cookie = 20 mins. and so on.

An alternative/addition: Bring in your own healthy snacks to work... so you see cake, you eat carrots.
    Be strong! Keep it up... YOU are in charge of your diet. Not your colleagues.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    Options
    My very small office does pizza parties and then literally peer pressures you into eating. If I say "o I brought my lunch, I am just going to eat that" even my BOSS will say "what? no, save it for tomorrow. Eat your pizza." and I just get BADGERED...I hate it. Apparently today is a pizza party day...and I brought delicious quinoa mac n cheese for lunch =(

I know what you mean...its like when you go out for drinks and everyones like have one have one why arnt you drinking...COS I DONT WANT EMPTY CALS OK?!

Haha...there is a lot of peer pressure at work/going out I think...
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    I am totally guilty of doing this when I end up with too much cake. I figure many people eating a little cake is better than me eating a lot of cake!
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's frustrating, but people aren't doing it to torture you personally. We live in a food-centered culture.
    As I see it, you have a few options:
    1. If you have uber will power, avoid it altogether and keep on the path you're on. (Flavored coffees with a little bit of skim milk can be a tasty alternative.)
    2. Another willpower option: Have a tiny piece to celebrate with everyone else and work it into your calories. Ask yourself: Is it really worth spending my calories on this? If yes, then work it in. If it's just a run-of-the-mill cookie or sheet cake, it may not be worth bothering (a lesson I have to learn this week after indulging on a ho-hum piece of cake at a banquet.)
    3. If you want a treat, but don't have the willpower to just stop at a small piece, bring along a tasty treat of your own (or a piece of fruit)
    Good luck for continued success.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you are vegan then how are you eating that stuff? Surely it's made with eggs and butter? Use that as a reason not to eat it.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Our work is having a total theme day on the Sunday - a street party where the whole corridor will be wallpaper paste tables groaning with buffet food that has been brought in - but everyone in my area knows that I will be the one that brings in something healthy and its like a long standing joke now that they know I will be ignoring the unhealthy crap - work is just like everywhere else - we still make the choice of what we choose to eat :)
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I like to buy the stuff for others. If i make the people me fatter, my results look better right?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

I would develop an "allergy" to a major component of pizza :D Maybe you could develop a yeast allergy or lactose intolerance ( for all they know the cheese you bring from home is soy cheese...)
  • killinme
    killinme Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I have made it through two "Panera Bagels at work days", it is tough but you can do it.
    I have zero will power, but I told myself the hour and a half workouts at the tennis courts was not worth an 1100 calorie bagel.

HUGS!
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options

Sums up my thoughts
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Don't blame your co-workers for your lack of self discipline.