Vegans

Options

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Hey all!! I have a question for you...I would like to move more towards a vegetarian or vegan diet. However, I have an issue that I am allergic to soy and while I eat a ton of salads and veggies I don't feel full and I am worried about my iron & protein levels. I cannot eat products that are made with soy (like veggie burgers, tofu) and was wondering of you had any recommendations for me. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

Seitan is a delicious food made from wheat gluten that packs a serious protein punch, so you could definitely try that. Black bean burgers, lentils, portobello mushrooms and soy-free protein powder such as hemp, gemma pea or brown rice would probably be beneficial to you!

Thank you!! I love black beans. That is one of my main meat replacements. I just get so frustrated with this allergy that I can't focus on trying to find what will work, I keep focusing on what I can't have. I really appreciate the advice.

Also, The Post Punk Kitchen has a fabulous chickpea cutlet recipe that I'm 99% sure is soy free, and if not you can easily sub out the soy ingredients! They are delicious and savory and require a decent knife! :)
  • svetz
    svetz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 22 years, and since joining mfp and meeting you wonderful peoples I am now strongly considering a vegan lifestyle also. I love that I am not alone with this, and it is so inspiring and helpful to learn how everyone navigates the vegan diet!
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    give it a go - no harm in trying. check out www.veganeasy.org there is a 30 day plan and lots of info, mentors etc.

all the best
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Newly vegetarian (again!) and leaning toward vegan. I like meat but it doesn't seem to like me - IBS issues etc plus I notice by cutting dairy etc I find it much easier to lose weight.

Going to check out veganeasy.org! Thanks!
  • clo515
    clo515 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me!
  • Pfitzer
    Pfitzer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Vegan for about a year now here :)
  • VeganJP
    VeganJP Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Me! Been vegan since July 2010.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I not not anymore...however when I started I was (hence the name)...I still pretty much eat vegan 70% of the day...much cheaper that way...
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I just disagree with modern factory farming, and I think it's bad to hurt someone/an animal but it's even worse to pay someone else to do it. And the way we raise food animals is sooooo bad for the environment and significantly lowers the property values of nearby homes while poisoning groundwater.

TOOOOOTTTALLLLY AGREE!
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, newly a vegetarian due to health issues. I can't process animal protein properly. I call myself vegetarian because I'm not sure I am committed to all the ideals behind veganism. I still wear leather sometimes although I do so less and less and I wear wool. BUT I am very new to this lifestyle and trying to learn more every day.
  • thunderguts123
    thunderguts123 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I want to be.
  • diemodemdie
    diemodemdie Posts: 37
    Options
    I want to be.

I am here for no other reason than to tell you that you have an awesome username.

Carry on!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I want to be.

If you're interested, we would really love to help you transition :)
  • emsnyc
    emsnyc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 25 years, Vegan for one! It's still a transition for me, although I have learned a LOT in the past year. I've searched the boards for this topic because it's very hard to get help from people who do not live the lifestyle or understand nutrition extremely well. Fortunately, I can see a nutritionist occasionally, and one of the ones I see is a naturopath. So I have some sort of advice coming in along with the tons of reading I do on the topic. Still, sometimes I feel overwhelmed, and it's helpful always to have the support and guidance of other vegans... not to mention interesting and fun! So here I am.

I'm actually going to post a thread about protein and strength training... just looking for my wording. Great to find you all... I'm new to the boards so would love to connect with anyone who is vegan and adding friends. Thank you original poster... I'm glad to find your thread and see that all these Vegans are here on MFP!!!!
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be. I've been a vegetarian for 9 months, and I honestly don't know where to start to go vegan. I know it's not a very good reason, but I really don't.
  • lumayaa
    lumayaa Posts: 19
    Options
    ive been a vegetarian that doesn't eat dairy for many years. but tried strict raw-vegan diet for a while, then gave up. haha
    would love to get back into that! so any vegans/vegetarians please feel free to add me :D
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan-ish. I have not been real good about it lately and have never been incredibly strict about it. I have a wicked sweet tooth which is usually the cause of my wayward ways.
  • prettyhealthyandhappy
    prettyhealthyandhappy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i'm vegetarian (pro vegan) and i'm giving the veganism a new try at the moment:)
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Been vegetarian for 22 years and vegan for 15. It's a Rastafari thing, as we don't believe in using or harming animals in anyway and live in harmony with nature as purely as possible. Am raising 4 children as vegans who have never known anything else and I can honestly say they are healthier, stronger and taller than all of their classmates! Have to know a lot of stuff about nutrition to make sure they are getting everything in the right balance. The Vegan society is agreat source for help, and if you become a member you can get discounts in health food shops which really helps when you're feeding 4 hungry ones!
    Bit embarassing to have put on so much weight recently as being vegan and Rastafari, I should be super healthy so can't wait to shift this weight.
    Please add me if you want any vegan help - would be happy to get all the support I can:smile:
  • halloweeny_bride27
    halloweeny_bride27 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan! I have been meat free for 2 years and recently made the switch to vegan! would be happy to be friends with any other vegans :)