WTH? I feel disgusting!

I get really motivated when i see the success stories, yet i feel like that will never be me..It seems like all of my life I have been on one diet after another...my lowest weight as an adult was 140 lbs at 22. I have gone up and down on the scale more times than anyone I know. Now that I am at my highest weight ever, sometimes I feel as though i will never be where i want to be with my weight and it frustrates me horribly! I am appalled with the fat on my belly, arms, back, etc. I gained 35 lbs since 2010 have maintained this fat weight now for over year, even though I go through daily struggles with getting exercise and trying to eat right...I have now put myself back on Weight watchers 3 days ago, and I am motivated to eat right and exercise, yet something in my head keeps telling me that it will never work...how do i undo this damage to myself from yo-yo dieting and believe that I will be successful?? Thanks for reading and for any input..i'm going for a walk/jog now!

Replies

• jesscod
    jesscod Posts: 98
    by being patient. losing weight is no cake walk - pun intended :D

there are no miracle fixes - a lot of trial and error. be happy you are fortunate enough to afford a weight watchers program and have all the guidance you need. Don't weigh yourself at home.

Take one day at a time.
  • sabek
    sabek Posts: 8
    I had similar issues. At my heaviest I was 320, and always told myself it was all ok as long as my vitals like glucose, BP, cholesterol were ok.

Well earlier this year I did a health assessment at work and got the eye-opening of a lifetime. All of those numbers that had been fine now aren't due my excessive weight.

I was now T2 diabetic, cholesterol was high, etc. I made the choice at 41 that seeing my 18 month old son grow up is worth some change.

I now walk at least 40 minutes a day, and do strength training 3x a week. I started watching my calories etc here, and just decided to make better choices. I am now down to 297, and moving forward.

I guess what did it for me was looking at this as a change in who I am, and not a diet. Diets always seemed like a temporary thing to get to a spot. The problem was if I got to that spot and went "off the diet" I would just end up being fat again. The reason I was 320 was not the lack of being on a diet it was the lack of a healthy outlook on life.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Stop listening to the voice in your head. Replace it with a new voice that says something positive. Weight loss works for EVERYONE who is willing to put in the time and effort to make it work. It will take a long time to lose the weight and then it will take a lifelong plan to keep it off. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming... You can do this. Now tell yourself... I can do this.:flowerforyou:
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Come up with a game plan. Mine was, follow the calorie numbers MFP put out for me, try to make my macros 40/30/30 with the 40% being protien, learn what to eat so you can meet those numbers and still be full (lots of hard boiled egg whites and grilled fish for me) and try to get to the gym 4+ times a week, even if its just 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill.

I started in earnest around Jan 15th, and I have lost 41 pounds or so. I am 35 and in 10 pounds I will be at the weight I graduated HS at (and haven't seen since) :-)

Good luck!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    by being patient. losing weight is no cake walk - pun intended :D

(LOVE THIS!!)

I know what you mean. Be patient and try to love yourself no matter what size you are. Easier said than done, I know.

It will come off!! :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Tell your brain to butt out of your body's business and do it to spite the girl that says you cant.

Realise that the condescending discouraging b*tch in your brain has another nemesis inside of you. The Athlete with her mouth duct taped and her arms bound, locked in the dark.

Which one do you think is worth saving?

Hint: The athlete inside you can help you kill that toxic frenemy that got in your head. All you have to do is bond with her. Name hr if you have to, visualise what she looks like, take her wth you on every workout, to every meal and anytime you hear that other voice say you cant do it and it wont work... You and your rescued athlete can flip her off.

....and someday beat the sht out of her.

You are not a special snowflake. If we can do it, there's no reason you cant, either.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    The way I stay motivated is I don't just see this as weight loss I see it as me getting healthier, I have IBS and the only way for me to feel better and be happy is to eat plenty of good foods and not processed foods. If I go off track for a week or so which happens sometimes I am in agony afterwards and regret it so much!
    I have all the nasties in my family like high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease soooo me getting healthy now and adopting a healthy fit lifestyle means I can avoid these things later in life!

See it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet, find healthy meals,snacks and exercise you enjoy and you will be less likely to get discouraged :)

You will get there even if it takes you a year you just need to make small goals and work hard, try and incorporate it all into your routine and it will be easier every day! :)
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Don't diet - tell yourself you are making a lifestyle change to be healthier. Diets have cheating and ends. Lifestyle changes can be for life.
  • jhigg11
    jhigg11 Posts: 121 Member
    Looks like you're letting your mind control you. You need to infuse yourself with positive thinking. Negativity is the most debilitating thing to someone trying to change their life. You also need to be committed and really no why you are eating right and exercising. It shouldn't be to fuel some goal to just look good. It needs to be pure. To feel control, strength, and too just feel good.
  • sashanicole88
    sashanicole88 Posts: 180 Member
    I've thought my entire life...seriously...that I would NEVER lose weight. 50 pounds lighter I still have that feeling creep up on me from time to time. It's a daily struggle, but all of the struggle is my mentality. Sure the workouts can be a little tough and control is hard to have at times, but all in all, getting your mindset focused, motivated, and positive is the best thing you can do for your body. Trust yourself. You can do this.
  • Half the battle with any weight loss and exercise is the mental block we put on ourselves. If you condition yourself enough to the negative thoughts it will become true so when you feel negative thoughts approaching remind yourself of something positive ( you drank water instead of a soda, walked the stairs insted of taking elevator, ect) Once you start thinking positive it become a little easier to accomplish your goals. Good luck and I have faith that you can do this
  • nurserae7
    nurserae7 Posts: 43 Member
    I get really motivated when i see the success stories, yet i feel like that will never be me..It seems like all of my life I have been on one diet after another...my lowest weight as an adult was 140 lbs at 22. I have gone up and down on the scale more times than anyone I know. Now that I am at my highest weight ever, sometimes I feel as though i will never be where i want to be with my weight and it frustrates me horribly! I am appalled with the fat on my belly, arms, back, etc. I gained 35 lbs since 2010 have maintained this fat weight now for over year, even though I go through daily struggles with getting exercise and trying to eat right...I have now put myself back on Weight watchers 3 days ago, and I am motivated to eat right and exercise, yet something in my head keeps telling me that it will never work...how do i undo this damage to myself from yo-yo dieting and believe that I will be successful?? Thanks for reading and for any input..i'm going for a walk/jog now!

I think going for a walk/jog is just the medicine you needed! It clears the mind. Use that time you are walking to encourage yourself. Say positive things. List those great qualities you really like about yourself. I know you've heard it before but LOVE YOURSELF AS YOU ARE FIRST. Once I learned that I started losing weight. I had to find other things about me that I knew were positive traits. Otherwise, my mind would deceive me thinking that my weight and/or physical body was all that mattered in this life. You don't have to like the way you look right now. Just accept it and love yourself in spite of your body. You are who you are on the INSIDE. The outside will and can change. It's a mental battle.....that "little something in my head". Put on your battle armour every morning and fight against that little evil thing!!! LOL Take a walk, enjoy life, and just make simple and smarter choices. Don't ever give in or give up!! NEVER.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Just take a deep breath and calm down! It really is a lot about mental state when it comes to being successful with weight loss. Throw out the diet mentality, learn to be extremely patient with your body. If you expect a quick fix or fast results then you are going to frustrate yourself. Just eat healthier, learn how many calories you need to maintain your weight and eat below that (not too much, but enough that you have a bit of a deficit). And also go to the doctor and get a complete check up. Make sure you don't have issues like thyroid or insulin resistance just to rule out any underlying factor that may hinder weight loss. I had a really hard time losing weight and keeping it off until I got on medication to regulate my insulin.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Tell your brain to butt out of your body's business and do it to spite the girl that says you cant.

Realise that the condescending discouraging b*tch in your brain has another nemesis inside of you. The Athlete with her mouth duct taped and her arms bound, locked in the dark.

Hint: The athlete inside you can help you kill that toxic frenemy that got in your head. All you have to do is bond with her. Name hr if you have to, visualise what she looks like, take her wth you on every workout, to every meal and anytime you hear that other voice say you cant do it and it wont work... You and your rescued athlete can flip her off.

You are not a special snowflake. If we can do it, there's no reason you cant, either.

^ I was gonna say something but I really can't top that. :)
  • mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member

I totally get where you are coming from. I have been there..... several times. I just joined MFP (after leaving WW) and I am attempting to lose the same 25+ pounds I have lost a few times. This is not my highest, by any means. I am trying, however, to do what others have suggested to you. Change the voice in my head. Not to listen to the voice that says it's ok to eat candy for breakfast, but listen to the new voice that says "Eat this instead" and then this afternoon you can have one piece of candy to satisfy you". So far, it hasn't been easy, but its a whole lot nicer than being on a diet and failing.....again.
  • apexigod
    apexigod Posts: 14
    I understand how you feel....I really do. I'm 28 years old and I weigh as much as I ever have in my whole life. I was a really cute guy with a really nice body at age 18 and fast forward 10 years and I'm just another chubby face in the crowd.

In fact just yesterday....regardless of me realizing it...I ate 4600 calories. I was floored a few moments ago when I looked everything up and I just couldn't believe it.

So I understand your frustration and your pain...I really do. I wish I could give you some supportive advice or some cool tips and tricks but the reality of it is that you and I are in the same boat.

But I wish you good luck in your struggle to deal with your weight....I'm usually around to chat or be supportive if you need a friend.
  • mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member

^ I was gonna say something but I really can't top that. :)

Me too this.....
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    All you need to do is start, girl.

We all did it. We all started.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Try not to look at it as a race OR a diet. Look at it as a lifestyle change. It's a positive thing to want to be healthy. I still eat stuff as a treat every now and then, but I portion control and eat healthy snacks. You can do this - really you can.
  • xiala
    xiala Posts: 50
    I know it's hard but try not to get discouraged. Take it one day at a time! One of the things that helped me lose the first 50lbs was NOT using the word "diet." Instead, I considered it a lifestyle change. Most people know whether what they are about to eat is good for them or not. Make good choices because saying no to that candy bar and eating a banana instead feels SO much better than eating the candy bar. Know what I mean? Keep at it!