Confused and Frustrated!

Options
I have been on a diet for 5 months. My diet consist of counting calories and running on my elliptical for 30-45 mins 5-6 days a week. When I first started my diet I dropped my calories to 1800 a day, which worked great for a while. I dropped to 1600 and was still losing weight. Recently I have dropped to 1400 and still doing my cardio and I have only lost 11 pounds in the last 2 months! It is driving me insane!!!! I am only 12 pounds away from my goal. Should I cut my calories again???? My original goal was to lose 40 pounds but I have decided I want to lose more, but at this rate it will take FOREVER!! Any suggestions??

Replies

• IUGB
    IUGB Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    11 pounds in 2 months is a lot of weight! Try to consider how you're losing a certain percent of your total weight instead of just in pounds.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You are still losing weight. Feel good about it.
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The closer to your goal you get the harder it is to lose it. Just keep on what you are doing and don't get down.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    HA I would be thrilled if I lost 11lbs in 2 months. My weight loss has slowed to about 4lbs a month but as long as it is going down and my body is responding well to the working out then i am good!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    11 pounds in 2 months is great! I've been at this for almost 2 months and keep losing the same 5 to 7 pounds. Give yourself a break! It sounds like you've been doing everything right, so don't feel the need to keep cutting calories. Your body may be slowing down the loss, but you've been building muscle mass as well. Do you measure yourself? Are your clothes fitting more loosely? You may want to consider adding some light weight training to your workouts - about 3 times a week. More muscle burns more energy, and you look more fit as well.
  • rekus73
    rekus73 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    11 lbs in 2 months?? I say that's perfect...you don't want to lose weight too quick, you didn't put lbs on in one month...so it will take some time to take it off...I wouldn't cut any more calories because you will slow down your metabolism...if anything I would take it up a notch...good luck....be patient! I think you're doing great...Consider doing some light strenght training....muscle burns calories... :)
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you drop your calories below your BMR, and continue the workout plan you have that can be counterproductive. I'm not sure if that is your case, but just be careful not to drop your calories too low. Also 11lbs in 2 months is great!
  • Soylabean
    Soylabean Posts: 2
    Options
    You may want to change up your exercise routine. If your body is "used to" your current routine then it's not going to change your weight loss...it'll only help you maintain. Try to challenge yourself with something new.
  • caseyleighsims
    Options
    Change up your exercise! You body has gotten use to the same movement, same time, same intensity with the elliptical. Try sprints or kick boxing or zumba and lift weights. Building muscle burns fat fast! Measure your waist, hips, thighs, and arms. You may not see a change in weight because you'll be replacing fat with muscle but you will see a change in measurements! Strong and healthy is the new skinny!
  • 5kidsforme
    5kidsforme Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It took me 7 months to loose 10! It's get's harder the closer you are. :flowerforyou:
  • cpetrilla801
    cpetrilla801 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    11 pounds is awesome! Don't forget that!! But definitely try to change up your routine. Your body becomes used to the same workout after about 2 weeks. So try going backwards on the eliptical. Maybe add in a little bit of weights to help build lean muscle which will help you burn more calories. Or change up your workout alltogether. Try classes, or other forms of cardio. Keep up the great work!
  • Ashiagirl
    Ashiagirl Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with Soylabean, if you have been doing the same exercise you body gets used to it. I just read a fitness guide in the January 2012 Real Simple magazine. "After doing the same cardio or strength routine three to six times, your body adapts and you burn fewer calories". Try to change your fitness routine occasionally, try a Zumba class, use resistance bands, etc. Add some weights if you are only doing cardio.

Having said that, losing 11 pounds is wonderful.
  • determinator645
    Options
    Like everyone else said switch up your exercise routine, and CALORIE CONFUSION i know i was skeptical at first too the whole point is to fluctuate your calories within 100-200 cal difference everyday what it does is confuses your metabolism and gives it a good jump start also you can go to www.bodybuilder.com they have an article on fat burning food you can give that a read.
  • Abrandnewme36
    Abrandnewme36 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the positive comments :)
  • Megs2063
    Megs2063 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    To reiterate other posts, I wouldn't drop any more calories, but change your workout.

Try jogging on pavement not a machine it's twice as hard and you burn more calories. If you can't jog due to injuries, etc. a fast walk with hand weights is a great alternative. Find routes with hills to burn more. Also, try a workout DVD that will give you a good sweat in areas you haven't worked in a long time.

But seriously, you are doing awesome! Don't get discouraged, your body is telling you it needs to slow down its weight loss in order to be healthy! You are doing fabulous, focus on clothes size rather than weight, trust me I know, I used to be a size 2 and at 5'2" I still weighed 135lb. According to my BMI I was overweight, although I did win a lot of bets about my weight!

Remember you made it this far and that is a huge accomplishment! Give yourself a kudos!
  • Abrandnewme36
    Options
    To reiterate other posts, I wouldn't drop any more calories, but change your workout.

Try jogging on pavement not a machine it's twice as hard and you burn more calories. If you can't jog due to injuries, etc. a fast walk with hand weights is a great alternative. Find routes with hills to burn more. Also, try a workout DVD that will give you a good sweat in areas you haven't worked in a long time.

But seriously, you are doing awesome! Don't get discouraged, your body is telling you it needs to slow down its weight loss in order to be healthy! You are doing fabulous, focus on clothes size rather than weight, trust me I know, I used to be a size 2 and at 5'2" I still weighed 135lb. According to my BMI I was overweight, although I did win a lot of bets about my weight!

Remember you made it this far and that is a huge accomplishment! Give yourself a kudos!
  • Abrandnewme36
    Options
    Sorry I'm new to this message board thing lol. But thanks for your input, I have thought about getting outside and jogging its just difficult with my work and school schedule. But I will definately try to spice up my workout. Thanks :happy:
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    First of all 11lbs in 2 months is a great loss. Congrats on that accomplishment!!!

The second piece of advice is kill the stinking thinking. If you let the negative into your mind it will eventually eat away at you and destroy you.

Approach everything you do with a can do attitude and you will succeed.

Lastly if you open up your diary, you might get some advice on things other's spot in it that you don't even realize you are doing to slow down your progress.
  • SoldierGirl746
    Options
    Be patient...take it one pound at a time...soon you will look back and see how far you have came...I started at 132..I am now 115:) Still cant belive it...Stay motivated:)
  • Abrandnewme36
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I guess that I should of clarified that I have been dieting since Jan and I have lost a total of 30 pounds but the last 2 months have just been slow compared to how I started out. I'm not a very patient person and the slow weight loss is making me frustrated and it feels like it is impossible to hit my goal. But I have read all of the post and I do feel somewhat better now.....Thanks :smile: