Can someone give suggestions on my diary?

Options
-I started exercising consistently last week- a bit of jogging, Butt Bible, and Leslie Sansone videos.
-My food consumption was was erratic until this Tuesday so the days I am talking about and want comments on are Tuesday-Today

Last night after dinner, I was still starving! I realize cheesecake was not the best option for a snack, however is there anything I could of done differently during the day to feel better after dinner? My exercise yesterday was a 3 mile Leslie Sansone dvd.

This morning I ate breakfast around 7:30. I started to exercise around 8:15 and finished around 9:15. I did both upper and lower body level 1 of Butt Bible. Around 10:45 I was extremely hungry so I made a grilled chicken Caesar salad as an early lunch. I would prefer not to get used to eating so early though, because I may be starting a new job next week.

Any suggestions on my diary and how to feel more full?

*****Exercise calories are not part of this as I have my settings at Maintain weight. I am trying to build my calorie deficit on exercise and have been incorporating more strength training to build muscle and do cardio as least 4 times a week to burn fat.

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I can only give you suggestions if you let me see your diary.
  • BrideToBe101212
    Options
    It is fixed now!
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    It seems like you are in the same place I am. Your body is craving protiens but you are settling foods with higher fat and carb counts as an alternative.
    This happened to me when I stopped eating meat so, I went from vegetarian to pescetarian but, then the whole crazy mercury thing came out so, I stopped eating as much fish (maybe twice a month now) and started suplementing the protien I was craving for carbs and fats.

I was just having a conversation with the dietician at one of the places I do work out of about this. She's going to be calling me tonight to talk so I'll message you.
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    ...and drink your water girl! You know better.
  • ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    There's days you're over eating and others you're barely eating. Plus you're going way over on carbs and fat. Try to balance. Net 1200 calories. Good luck
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    You aren't logging any water. Are you drinking any? Your body will often tell you you are hungry when you are really thirsty. Try eating more protein in the mornings. This will help you feel full.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You are not tracking sodium but it looks like the foods you are eating are high in sodium in my view. Otherwise where are the veggies, nuts, yogurt, healty fats like avacado? You can look at my diary for other ideas.
  • leilamarchi
    leilamarchi Posts: 34
    Options
    What are you having for breakfast? And keep in mind, with regards to your chicken Caesar salad, that Caesar dressing isn't exactly a diet food!

Set yourself an eating schedule, plan your foods ahead, and stick to it. So, for example, you could do:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 banana, maybe an egg if you're going to work out
    Mid Morning Snack: 1 cup fruit/berries, 1/4c raw almonds
    Lunch: 4-6 oz some kind of lean protein (for me it would be fish or tofu, not sure if you're veg), 1/2 c rice, 2 cups of veggies - lettuce, steam-in-a-bag broccoli, raw carrots, whatever - without dressing, or at least with only a little.
    Mid Afternoon Snack: similar to mid morning snack. You could also do a serving of peanut butter - it's got all kinds of great diet benefits and really helps to curb hunger!
    Dinner: similar to lunch.

Don't eat after 8pm, and if you crave sweets, again, my go-to is a serving of peanut butter, which is sweet AND filling. If you're not the PB type, see if having an unsweetened fruit iced tea helps - it usually helps me, and tea with no sweetener has zero calories. You can brew a batch and keep it on hand, or in a pinch, get the unsweetened passion fruit iced tea at starbucks.

And drink lots of water! Hang in there!
  • BrideToBe101212
    Options
    In reply to all those asking about water... That is all I drink!! I just don't track it on here.
  • BrideToBe101212
    Options
    That is why I said I really started healthy eating on Tuesday... I was asking for comments from Tuesday-Today :-)
  • BrideToBe101212
    Options
    What are you having for breakfast? And keep in mind, with regards to your chicken Caesar salad, that Caesar dressing isn't exactly a diet food!

Set yourself an eating schedule, plan your foods ahead, and stick to it. So, for example, you could do:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 banana, maybe an egg if you're going to work out
    Mid Morning Snack: 1 cup fruit/berries, 1/4c raw almonds
    Lunch: 4-6 oz some kind of lean protein (for me it would be fish or tofu, not sure if you're veg), 1/2 c rice, 2 cups of veggies - lettuce, steam-in-a-bag broccoli, raw carrots, whatever - without dressing, or at least with only a little.
    Mid Afternoon Snack: similar to mid morning snack. You could also do a serving of peanut butter - it's got all kinds of great diet benefits and really helps to curb hunger!
    Dinner: similar to lunch.

Don't eat after 8pm, and if you crave sweets, again, my go-to is a serving of peanut butter, which is sweet AND filling. If you're not the PB type, see if having an unsweetened fruit iced tea helps - it usually helps me, and tea with no sweetener has zero calories. You can brew a batch and keep it on hand, or in a pinch, get the unsweetened passion fruit iced tea at starbucks.

And drink lots of water! Hang in there!

Thank you for the eating plan suggestion! However, about the dressing, I measured one TBSP of itand only used that on a huge plate of lettuce. This is a life style change. It is not likely that I would give up dressing the rest of my life.
  • spigenerb
    spigenerb Posts: 29
    Options
    Here is what I see,

Tuesday-
    Breakfast- No protein, all carbs. It gave you an insulin spike and caused your body to store more calories from you next meal.
    Lunch - Spaghetti- It may have some protein in it but I would consider this a carb.
    Afternoon snack - Same issue as breakfast
    Dinner - You combined a high fat food like sausage with high carbs. Your body wanted to store the fat.
    Evening snack - the few vegetable wont offset the 1/2 cupcake.

Wednesday
    Breakfast - all carbs no protein
    Snack - 591 calories is not a snack. Get rid of the cornbread and eat plain apples
    lunch- It would be ok to eat more protein with lunch, add some complex carbs
    afternoon snack - add some protein
    dinner - pasta, macaroni salad, and corn. Too many starches
    evening snack - cheesecake should only be eaten on a cheat meal.

A couple of comments- Caesar salad- this has lots of sodium. You will retain water if you eat it.
    Try to distribute you calories more evenly through the day. Its ok if you want to have dinner that has 800 calories as long as the rest of your meals will allow it and they are spread more evenly calorie wise.

When I start losing weight in the spring I go two weeks without a cheat meal. But after that I cheat 2 meals a week. And I mean really cheat. Usually Wednesday night and Friday night. But absolutely no more than that. Once you reach your goal don't keep dieting, a lot of people think I ll just keep going and lose that last inch. But if you don't break from dieting then you wont be able to make it, you will burn out. Just go into maintenance for a while and then if you want to lose more after a while then you can start all over again.

Its hard to know exactly what you need to eat calorie wise without your BMR calculated with the harris bennedict formula. Here is a link if you would like to see it. Once you figure what your needs are then if you want to lose subtract 400-500 calories from it and whala! You have your daily target.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/
  • BigenFluffy
    BigenFluffy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest studying "glycemic index". Basically, it's the rate that carbs turn into sugar in your blood stream. Lower glycemic index number=slower release=steady energy/fullness instead of spikes.

For example, a plate of white rice with gravy (mmmmmm) would spike your blood sugar, where brown rice would have a lesser impact.

My husband is insulin dependent, so most of the carbs we buy already are 'whole grain' so it isn't a big lifestyle change for me. For someone who is used to white breads, tortillas, rice, etc, it might be harder for you.

Also--SUGAR FREE JELLO. You can eat a cup of it for 10 calories. Walmart sells the Great Value brand for 43 cents and it makes 2 cups!

Good luck!
  • BrideToBe101212
    Options
    I'd suggest studying "glycemic index". Basically, it's the rate that carbs turn into sugar in your blood stream. Lower glycemic index number=slower release=steady energy/fullness instead of spikes.

For example, a plate of white rice with gravy (mmmmmm) would spike your blood sugar, where brown rice would have a lesser impact.

My husband is insulin dependent, so most of the carbs we buy already are 'whole grain' so it isn't a big lifestyle change for me. For someone who is used to white breads, tortillas, rice, etc, it might be harder for you.

Also--SUGAR FREE JELLO. You can eat a cup of it for 10 calories. Walmart sells the Great Value brand for 43 cents and it makes 2 cups!

Good luck!

I'll definitely look into that! Thank you! And actually, I'm not "used to write breads etc" . I recently moved into my future in laws so they have been serving the white stuff. Prior to that, I was eating wheat bread, brown rice, etc. It was actually a personal preference for me. :-)

Editing this post because I can't edit my first one... Thank you to those who did give suggestions with proteins and the such. I have closed off my dairy because I was getting more criticism then actually suggestions on how to stay fuller longer. I was not asking anything about how many calories I was eating, if "my cupcake outweighed the green pepper." I am not stupid. I was only asking for suggestions on things that will help me keep from eating snacks later in the evening. Thank you to those who answered my questions!

Oh- and to the guy who said 500 calories is not a snack... I had an interview that day so I have more like 2 lunches. I have just have my food separated into those categories, it does not mean that I actually ate 500 calories, thinking it was a snack!

Diary is now closed.
  • spigenerb
    spigenerb Posts: 29
    Options
    My apologies if I offended. That was not my intent. I am actually on other boards where we openly post out meal plans and such and then allow others to offer advice. I will try to be more tactful in the future.
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary either..