Coconut Oil Question

Options

Replies

• kriskel
    kriskel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i can't help you with substantiating health claims, but i do use it frequently as a moisturizer (best thing ever for shaving legs) and hair treatment. i've also heard due to it's anti-inflammatory qualities that it's great for treating dermatological autoimmune diseases like eczema. magical!

I've used it eczema, works great!
  • EmergencyGraphics
    EmergencyGraphics Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy it?
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Have you ever actually read up on the process in which virgin coconut oil is made? I would not categorize it with butter. Sure, its a fat, but it has a heck of a lot more nutrients and benefits than most other fats.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I put a little bit in my quinoa (1 tbsp per 2 cups of quinoa) gives its a slightly sweet, nutty flavour. :love:

I also use it as a moisturizer as I have horridly dry skin :frown:
  • Kindone
    Kindone Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I use a product: Artisana Raw 100% Organic Coconut Butter that is simply the whole thing pureed up.. oil, water, flesh and all. You can spread it on things, and I am sure it can also be used as an oil. But i also use raw cold pressed coconut oil in almost all of my cooking. I have heard a lot of talk about it being great for chronic illnesses like fatigue and pain.. I have read several articles on it and I know many people swear by it. Anecdotal evidence is sufficient for me at times. The bottom line, for me, is that it is a very flavorful and satisfying fat. I don't need to use a lot of it and it adds tremendously to whatever I am using it for. For the Win!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy it?

Trader Joe's has organic virgin coconut oil for $6.99 per jar. I've seen it at most grocery stores now (along with co-ops, whole foods, etc), but it's cheapest at TJs.
  • deblc6836
    deblc6836 Posts: 59
    Options
    This article was posted in another thread:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.html
    I use the Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    ANY and ALL processed foods are bad for you.

Care to back that up, Sparky?
    I'll reword it, sparky: Processed foods are never as healthful as the original foods they are processed from.

Stop making things up. Repeating your false claims is not the same as presenting evidence.

Put up or shut up.

word.
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
  • tiffany5839
    tiffany5839 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's good fat! You have to get the organic unrefined kind that is not processed! Helped me to lose weight and feel great! I put it in my coffee for tons of energy! In salad dressings and smoothies too! LOVE it! Oh yea it's a good lubricant too! lol
  • deblc6836
    deblc6836 Posts: 59
    Options
    This article was posted in another thread:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.html
    I use the Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.

BTW, I order from Amazon.com.
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It's WONDERFUL for your hair (as in not eating it but actually rubbing it on your hair). :-)

hummm

maybe I should try this

rub it in as a conditioner and then rinse out ???

I did this last weekend. I just put the oil in my hair and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I then showered, shampoo & conditioner like normal. My hair was so soft and shiny after!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The health benefits of coconut oil include hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. These benefits of coconut oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and its properties such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, soothing, etc.

I've read all that too. But not in scientific literature. If there is no actual science behind it, then it's just someone on the internet making stuff up.
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    There's a book by Bruce Fife titled "The Coconut Oil Miracle." He mentions many studies. It's a great short read! I've switched to using coconut for cooking now and olive oil only for salads or in anything that won't be heated.
  • kboggs6763
    kboggs6763 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Coconut In Modern Medicine

Modern medical science is now confirming the use of coconut in treating many of the above conditions. Published studies in medical journals show that coconut, in one form or another, may provide a wide range of health benefits. Some of these are summarized below:

Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses.
    Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases.
    Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections.
    Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.
    Provides a nutritional source of quick energy.
    Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance.
    Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
    Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.
    Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.
    Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis.
    Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes.
    Reduces problems associated with malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.
    Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth.
    Helps protect against osteoporosis.
    Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease.
    Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.
    Improves digestion and bowel function.
    Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids.
    Reduces inflammation.
    Supports tissue healing and repair.
    Supports and aids immune system function.
    Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers.
    Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease.
    Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects against heart disease.
    Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.
    Functions as a protective antioxidant.
    Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease.
    Does not deplete the body's antioxidant reserves like other oils do.
    Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation.
    Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
    Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).
    Reduces epileptic seizures.
    Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.
    Dissolves kidney stones.
    Helps prevent liver disease.
    Is lower in calories than all other fats.
    Supports thyroid function.
    Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate.
    Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats.
    Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems.
    Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection.
    Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.
    Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin.
    Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking.
    Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots.
    Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion.
    Provides protection from damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation from the sun.
    Helps control dandruff.
    Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do.
    Has no harmful or discomforting side effects.
    Is completely non-toxic to humans.
  • kboggs6763
    kboggs6763 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid (MCFA).

Because coconut oil is made of primarily medium chain (and some short chain) fatty acids, it is broken down immediately for use rather than stored. MCFA aren't packaged into chylomicrons for circulation through the lymph like long chain fatty acids (LCFA). Instead, they are transported in the portal blood to the liver for conversion into energy. This quick conversion process may prevent weight gain as long as the calories consumed as coconut oil do not exceed the body's caloric needs. Coconut oil has also been found to speed metabolism and increase energy expenditure and is of great interest for its potential as a weight loss aid.

Coconut oil may prevent and alleviate disease.

Both research and clinical studies have shown that MCFA may be useful in treating and preventing diseases such as diabetes, osteoporosis, virus-related dieases (mononucleosis, hepatitis C, herpes, etc.), gallbladder disease, Crohn's disease, and cancer. The smaller size of MCFA (compared to LCFA) allows them to be digested more easily, making them ideal for those suffering from digestive diseases. Coconut oil may assist in the absorption and retaining of calcium, thereby benefiting bones.

Coconut oil has antimicrobial, antiviral, and antifungal properties.

Lipid-coated bacteria and viruses contain a lipid coat which encloses their DNA among other cellular materials. When consumed by humans, coconut oil disrupts the lipid membrane, killing the pathogens without damaging the host or harming health-promoting intestinal bacteria. The antimicrobial properties stem from the monoglycerides and free fatty acids (mainly lauric acid and capric acid) that compose coconut oil.

Need more reasons to start consuming coconut oil?

Pure coconut oil is easily absorbed, prevents free radical damage, and can improve the appearance of skin and hair. Coconut oil, which becomes liquid when heated above 75°F, can also be substituted into your favorite baked goods {such as the delicious looking cupcakes I created using coconut oil below}.

With all the benefits that coconut oil can provide, it's definitely worth trying. And if you find that you don't quite like the taste, I hear it makes a fantastic conditioner.

References:
    Fife B. (2004). The Coconut Oil Miracle. New York: Avery.
    Papamandjaris A, MacDougall D, Jones P. Medium chain fatty acid metabolism and energy expenditure: obesity treatment implications. Life Sciences 1998;62: 1203-121.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Coconut In Modern Medicine

Modern medical science is now confirming the use of coconut in treating many of the above conditions. Published studies in medical journals show that coconut, in one form or another, may provide a wide range of health benefits. Some of these are summarized below:

That's from the coconutresearch website. I'm looking for the "published studies in medical journals" that back this up, not opinions, even if they are of seemingly well qualified people. I seriously wish the authors of these websites would cite their sources. I've done a little bit of digging around, and haven't found anything along these lines, not even on animal models.

Not trying to be difficult, but in this case, my father's heart health could be seriously impacted by what's in his food.
  • AnkeAkke
    AnkeAkke Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm not sure how coconut oil with no additions is a processed food?

I've bought it today. I've read a lot about it and I think it fits in a healty diet. I already found out you can cook perfectly with it. It seems to have a lot of health benefits, although I really don't believe all of them are true.

I also bought it as a mosturizer (I suffer from mild psoriasis, and my boyfriend from severe eczema). We already use a coconut cream, but I hope pure coconut oil works even better.
    Is it a coconut? It's a portion of a coconut, not the complete coconut. The non-oil parts of the coconut have been removed from the food, to leave behind just the oil.

ALL oils are processed food. ALL oils are incomplete food. ALL oils are MORE CALORIE DENSE than their whole food counterparts. OILS ARE THE MOST CALORIE DENSE FOOD ON THE PLANET, REGARDLESS OF SOURCE! And, 100% of the calories are from fat.

And as a moisturizer/shaving cream, my girlfriend loves it, but i hate it, because it leaves the shower all slippery!

Pff... you have some serious problems ^^". I can read your message without you using caps-lock. By the way... the human body really needs fat, you know,
    I've read that it does not cause or worsen heart disease. Yes, it does contain a lot of saturated fats. However, these are mostly medium-chain fatty acids, compared to the long-chain fatty acids in most other oils. These medium-chain fatty acids don't have the same negative effect on cholesterol as long-chain and they will even protect against heart disease.

See, my problem is that while this makes intuitive sense, there don't seem to be any studies to back this up. The best I've managed to pull up seem ambiguous, in the sense they say that X Y and Z in coconut oil has these benefits, but overall, that may not negate the overall negative effects and artherosclerotic potential.

The FDA, WHO, Dept. of Health and Human Services, American Heart Association, American Dietetic Association, International College of Nutrition, Dietitians of Canada, ALL recommend consuming coconut oil in small quantities. Are they ALL wrong?

You are absolutely right. The amount of evidence is very little. I think that all the organisations are right. Consuming only a little bit is the savest way. So cooking in coconut oil every other day or so should be fine.

However, I also think that most of those organisations are overprotective ánd that a lot of 'mysteries' around food are still uncovered. Just because there is no evidence yet does not mean it's wrong, dangerous stuff.

(I'm a last-year medical student, so I know a little bit about these things :))
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    ANY and ALL processed foods are bad for you.

Care to back that up, Sparky?
    I'll reword it, sparky: Processed foods are never as healthful as the original foods they are processed from.

Stop making things up. Repeating your false claims is not the same as presenting evidence.

Put up or shut up.
    I'm not making anything up. False claims? Really? Does anyone actually think that processing foods makes it better for you? Do YOU have any evidence of that?

I made my point regarding processed foods, but you didn't offer any argument to the contrary, you just said that you disagreed. Why do you disagree? Any thoughts from you besides "i disagree for reasons i'm not willing to list"?

Do i have a study to show you? no. But i do have life experience. When i quit listening to all the bull**** mis-information out there about how some processed foods are OK, that's when my health started coming back. I used to eat processed foods. Now i still do occasionally, but very rarely. Why did i lose 70 LBS in 3 months, AND start feeling like i had the energy of a teenager AS SOON AS I QUIT THE PROCESSED FOODS? I guess since i don't have a study to show you, i might as well go back to the processed foods, huh?