Halloween

Options
It's coming, and in previous years I always bought treat size chocolates but this year I decided to buy things that don't tempt me. I know hubby will be disappointed but if he wants chocolates he can buy them himself. Aside from cutting down on temptation, the other treats are also cheaper. That is a consideration for me since we've got 150-200 kids coming to our door each year - not only are there lots of kids in the neighbourhood but I've seen van loads of kids arriving from other areas. :grumble:

Any other helpful hints? I know we'll have a potluck at work again too but I'm just going to make sugar free jello. I've got a brain mold and a heart mold - think I'll go for the heart this time :bigsmile:

Replies

• marilla
    marilla Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Someone pointed out to me that the fun size bars are about 100 calories and to think about the time and effort it takes to workout to burn 100 calories and whether it is worth it. Make me think about it at least.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    its best not to have that temptation around........congrats to u!!.......lol i bought 2 bags of the "fun size candies" for my sons bday party......luckily there were enough kids around......where they demolished 1 bag (took some home with them ect) and my bf polished off the other bay :laugh:
  • ceecee1977
    ceecee1977 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good Ideas! Like the sugar free jello molds.

I really don't like coconut so last year we gave out Mounds and Almond Joy candy bars and I did not eat a one:tongue:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    LOL - unfortunately as long as it has chocolate I'll eat pretty much anything. I'm keeping good quality (translate: expensive) dark chocolate around for sudden cravings but I only eat a little at a time. Sometimes it pays to be cheap - if the calorie content isn't enough to deter me from wolfing down a whole bar then the price will :laugh:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Yesterday we were shopping & hubby asked which candy I prefer???? :noway: :grumble:
    What?!?! :noway:
    I'm working my tail off & obsessed with logging all my food & tracking my calories & watching the scales & you want to know which CANDY I want?????!!!!!:grumble: :laugh: :grumble:
    Good grief.
    :noway:
    I told him to make that decision on his own - I vote for the cheapest because I don't intend to touch it!:wink:
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I know I can't even have snack size chocolates around because I will DEVOUR them. There isn't even a question about it. I bought snack size bags of pretzels, and tiny rice krispie treats (45 calories), also (and this might be to the horror of children around the globe), small boxes of raisins.

Good Luck! And Kudos (man I love those bars, but I digress) to you for not buying chocolates! :smokin:
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I don't hand out candy, but if I did it would some healthy option because chocolate bars wouldn't last long in my house, between my 2 year old and I.
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I hand out chips because I hate them. My boyfriends weight might go up some but he can handle it. Also not opening the box before hand might help. I find its harder to stop once I start but easier to not start.
  • dangerkitty2001
    Options
    We bought these horrible sour gummy hot dog candies that I will not even be remotely tempted to eat! But the kids will probably love them :happy:
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    we don't hand out candy on trick or treat night since we take our kids out - but we are doing a trunk for the trunk or treat thing we are doing at church and i am not buying any candy till the day of that way it isn't in the house so i am not tempted.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I really think I'll be okay this year.
    Thay aren't calling my name yet!
    :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    ...not only are there lots of kids in the neighbourhood but I've seen van loads of kids arriving from other areas. :grumble:

Hah, that would be me and my daughter. lol I wouldn't let her eat treats from the people in the neighbor "hood" where I live, so we head off to a better neighborhood.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    If it were East Vancouver I could understand it, but I live in a suburb where all the neighbourhoods are pretty nice. I guess it's less walking in our subdivision because the lots are small. I don't mind a few but when there are seven, eight ten-seat minivans parked along the main road it gets to be a bit much. Oh well, guess I could always go to a movie instead. :wink: